12v engine build up

cummins_4life

Custom Cummins
I thought some people might want to follow along with my motor build up as I go. I enjoyed reading other do it so here it is.

I'm putting this into a 93 chevy silverado that blew up the old 6.5l about 5 years ago. So far I've pulled the motor out of the donor, tore it down, and sent it off to the machine shop.

tearingdownthedonor.jpg

redneckbeerholder.jpg

Just seemed like a good place for the can while the engine was being lifted

cumminsmotor.jpg

cumminspistonsandcamshaft.jpg

Gunna replace the pistons with .040 over marine pistons

CumminsCrankshaft.jpg

cumminsblock.jpg

camshaft.jpg

I just made my own cam gear retainer and polished it up to be sent off to Colt Cams for the Big Stick grind

Im not that far along with mine lookin good one thought though from the research ive done I wouldnt get a regrind on the cam but I cant say from personal experience but I wana new one good luck with your project- hey I found a 360 degree thrust bearing I was gonna use mine had one side completly fell off in the pan but the rest looks good so I dont know but im gonna use the 360

Last edited:
Well, The block should be done in probably another week or so. I'll let you know about the cam. I've heard that in pulling motors, a billet cam is best just for strength but for towing and daily driving, a re-grind isn't bad. I've also heard good things about Colt Cams. The stage 3 (big stick is what they call it) for the 12v is only $325 I think. So it was a good deal to me. If anyone is curious, I'll post some pics of it and then let everyone know how it runs, but that could be alittle while since I've got alot of fab work to finish the conversion.

I had just heard of the hardness being takin off the lobes and they would go flat probably used the wrong oil hope you have better luck ill follow along and see how it goes

Grinding a OEM cam in to a big stick takes .030 off of the cam lobes that, isn't going to cause the came to go flat.Any cam can go flat even new ones made with a new blank.

Because there is no replacement for displacement is what im guessing.

Why are you boring it so far out?

I originally bought the .020 over pistons but the machine shop told me that in the process of boring out the cylinders, they reached the pre-hone bore diameter for .020 over pistons and there was still some shadowing at the top of the cylinders that honing wouldn't take out, so I returned the .020 over for the next size which is .040 over. I would never have thought that the cylinders would've been that shot. Before I tore it down, there was a ton of blow by coming out of the crank case vent. I'm trying to go by memory here, but I read in the cummins shop manual that the maximum cylinder dia on stock pistons was suppose to be 4.020" + .008"? I think. I could be not remembering that exactly right. Anyway when I measured 3 thu 6, they were all over the listed maximum diameter. The crank strangely enough didn't have any wear and just required standard bearings. It's funny tho, along time ago I calculated the displacment of .040 over and it came out to 5.99xx. So, basically a 6.0L cummins. I wonder if I could find badges for something like that

You can get whatever badges made you want anymore dont remember the company I think destroked has some custom options yea renopker ive heard alot of that with the oils now I wondered if that was alot of the problem

I originally bought the .020 over pistons but the machine shop told me that in the process of boring out the cylinders, they reached the pre-hone bore diameter for .020 over pistons and there was still some shadowing at the top of the cylinders that honing wouldn't take out, so I returned the .020 over for the next size which is .040 over. I would never have thought that the cylinders would've been that shot. Before I tore it down, there was a ton of blow by coming out of the crank case vent. I'm trying to go by memory here, but I read in the cummins shop manual that the maximum cylinder dia on stock pistons was suppose to be 4.020" + .008"? I think. I could be not remembering that exactly right. Anyway when I measured 3 thu 6, they were all over the listed maximum diameter. The crank strangely enough didn't have any wear and just required standard bearings. It's funny tho, along time ago I calculated the displacment of .040 over and it came out to 5.99xx. So, basically a 6.0L cummins. I wonder if I could find badges for something like that

$hit I should hAve went .40 instead of .20 ha ha 6.0 badges would b cool ha ha jk

You can get whatever badges made you want anymore dont remember the company I think destroked has some custom options yea renopker ive heard alot of that with the oils now I wondered if that was alot of the problem

Destroked huh? I just might have to look into that. I got my pistons into the machine shop yesterday. They said it should be done at the latest, middle of next week. I wanted to start assembling it this weekend so I offered him an extra $200 to move my motor in front of the two he had sitting on the floor but he didn't want to do that. Oh well, I guess I don't need to be in such a hurry. I'm taking a few days off next week to go shoot sage rats in the alfalfa fields, :Cheer: so that'll kill my next weekend to get anything done.

BilletBadges.com Steve Smart out of Cali. Been making badges for a long time, anything you can dream up. I used his badges on my last 2 builds.

Attachments

• GetAttachment.jpg
    GetAttachment.jpg
    5.2 KB · Views: 0
I have a set of Contagious diesel 5x12 micro blinds build by Lee Jesse. I heard good things about him. I do have a question tho, would it be worth upgrading the DV's or would it just smoke alot more?

Tell ya what, this is what I'm doing to the motor..... 5x12 injectors 64/65/14 s300 4gsk 0 plate AFC tuning colt big stick cam tunnel ram byrds intake 3 pc exhaust mani 17* timing

From what I've gathered from my research is that this setup should be good for about 425 hp i think. My clutch is a valair 500 hp kevlar ceramic so I didn't want to push it to slip at all. Would I benefit from DV's?

53cc bowls ? for a DD ?

Well I bought the rebuild kit from Pure Diesel Power. Its the same kit that Enterprise engine sells and they all come with marine pistons. They said if you want standard pistons then it would take an extra 4-6 weeks to get them, They said they haven't had any issues with the pistons causing hard starts even though they have a little lower compression.

I did some research on the different forums asking about if I should use marine pistons and some people said that I'm not building a pulling truck so not to worry about needing marine pistons. I still have yet to hear that using them will be bad in a DD. What insight can you give me on them Renopker?

I see there not a real marine piston but do have a larger bowl what is the mahle # ?

Back