12v engine build up

I don't know what the mahle part number is as of right now. The pistons are at the machine shop till monday. Ok, so these aren't a true marine piston but would the actual marine pistons be different by much?

bowl size, coated skirt wrist pin, steel ring lands I'm just wondering what pistons there using in those kits.

Oh ok. well I can barely see some kind of stamped number in the top of the piston in this picture. I don't know tho if that is the part number or what.

mahlbowlcomp.jpg

Last edited:
looks like 286110 that will be 47cc and is the same piston Im using non intercooled.

I didn't get any coating and I'm sure they don't come coated so, no. No coating. I thought about it but I'm not building a pulling motor and won't be seeing temps higher than 1200 probably so therefore I couldn't justify it.

Got my motor back from the machine shop and got it all primered up. now maybe tonight I can get some red on it.

paintprep.jpg

paintprep2.jpg

Last edited:
Got a little more done this weekend. I'm hopeing this week to get the crank and pistons intalled. I really like the ISX red and I've got the BD cool covers to clean up the top. I'm gunna be putting it all back together with black socket head cap screws for the final assembly.

redpaint.jpg

I haven't gotten as far as I wanted to get by now due to it being nice weather finally. So I had to get some halibut fishing and shrimping in as well as some yard work done but this is how far I got.

crank installed and torqued.
torqedmainbearings.jpg

Pistons installed
pistoninstall.jpg

I decided to upgrade the main bearing bolts to a 14mm SHCS. They are rated stronger than the stockers but cheaper than buying new stock bolts.

upgradedmainbolts.jpg

I've also installed the front timing cover, cam shaft, new oil pump, and new water pump. I need to fab up a quick stand that uses the engine mounts because I can't get to the rear main seal cover with it on my conventional engine stand. So thats next on my list so that I can get that cover and the oil pan on. Then I'll finish the top end.

Ok, well I worked on it a little more this weekend and sorry guys, I forgot to take some pics of the head install and rear main seal install but I'll get some more pics of what I've got going on.

Last night I got the head torqued down, valve lash adjusted, injectors installed, and intake manifold put on. I need a ball end metric hex driver to tighten a bolt that hides under a lip so that will be in tomorrow.

I'll take some pics of painting the exhaust mani, turbo exhaust/intake housings, and injector lines. The pump needs to be degreased and painted as well. I'll take some pics of the pump install when I get there.

Here are some pics of where I'm at. It's about 85% complete. All thats left is the turbo, injection pump and fuel lines for the most part.

80complete.jpg

Turbo before it get a coat of high temp ceramic paint

turbodisasembly.jpg

Yea! :hehe: His name is Diesel and he is a big goof ball. It wouldn't suprize me one bit if he was thinking that!

Here is a quick update: turbo mounted, pump on and timed to 17.5*, front cover on and fluidamper on. I'll try and post some pics of my progress tomorrow

Back