12v single S475

I ran a single 475 for a while, even towed a camper to the dunes with it.... lol

curious on what else is done to motor? any porting of head or different intake setup? I have a good buddy that is trying to run this turbo on his DD and is having major issues. Only difference is that he is running a 0.9 turbine housing. Any info would be great thanks

Stock head with minor bowl work. Gasket matched exhaust side. Stock intake. 28* timing 188/220 Hamilton cam. 5k gsk. BD Diverter valve. Drove it over 1400 miles round trip to Weekend on the edge and averaged 19mpg. Drove it to BD last weekend 7 hours both ways and averaged the same mpg.

^^^^^^ oh yeah, all that was done with the 80mm im running now!

how heavy is the truck? If you've lightened it at all or is it 8k, etc...? Just curious. that mpg is awesome.

I got 18=19 mpg from mine with the 4202, its all in foot travel. It was great once spooled but i like my twins better LOL

booyah! I made 4 digits spraying no2 the same way. Getto fogger works wonders if you have the fuel!

seems like 94's have all the fun:Cheer:

Yes 1:1 on fuel. Never saw what it was with spray. Everything happened so fast haha

What kind of boost numbers are you seeing with the light porting on the 475 then with the 480 ? We're gonna run a 475 with the 83/74 wheel with a modified MWE groove and see how far up it moves the surge line. Being you came down to Edge Days, what were the characteristics of the truck here with the 80mm and diverter valve, vs the 475 and the 87/81 1.0 turbine setup? Not sure what your elevation is there, but curious how hard you needed to drive the 87/81 and what RPM you were using.

What kind of boost numbers are you seeing with the light porting on the 475 then with the 480 ? We're gonna run a 475 with the 83/74 wheel with a modified MWE groove and see how far up it moves the surge line. Being you came down to Edge Days, what were the characteristics of the truck here with the 80mm and diverter valve, vs the 475 and the 87/81 1.0 turbine setup? Not sure what your elevation is there, but curious how hard you needed to drive the 87/81 and what RPM you were using.

I saw 50 psi with the 75 and 52 psi with the 80. With the 83/74 turbine on the 75 drive pressures were upwards of 70 psi. Stepping up to the 87/81 turbine drive pressures dropped to 49 psi. The 75/87 and the 80/87 spoiled and drove almost the same which I was very surprised about but the 80 would clean up the fuel night and day better. When I drove it to Edge it reacted very well all around. As long as I had enough rpm and boost on the hills the egts would stay around 1000. Normal driving on the flats in 4th gear with almost no boost it egts would be about 650-700. The closer I got to Odgen Utah where Edge was at the truck would start to haze a little more and more because of the thinner air but nothing that couldn't be controlled and cause the fire department to be called haha. With the 5k kit and the tuning I've done to the AFC as well as having the Diverter valve set at 35 psi I really don't have to drive the turbo hard at all. Yes I only use half the turbo probably the whole way there and back except when I raced the vette but the truck was happy with where I have it.

I think I'm going to opt against the 83/74 wheel and run the 87/81, only downside is I didn't plan on running a diverter valve. But the motor will be set with a fairly high compression ratio to help with running the bigger charger and the elevation I'm at. Who's diverter valve are you using ?

Compression will definitely help. Mine is pretty high as well. Running BDs Diverter valve.

What are you running for rear suspension? Sounds like it hooks pretty well for a street truck .

Compression will definitely help. Mine is pretty high as well. Running BDs Diverter valve.

Do you have any surging when spooling with the diverter valve ? I've heard of this happening when staging. I may have to look into a diverter valve, but kinda wanted to do it old school without one. With the last charger/injector setup I had Chris do for me, it ran pretty good for a street truck too and got pretty good at tuning it without a diverter. I think we over fueled it though for the elevation, its going to take quite a bit smaller injector. Like down in the 5x.016-5x.018 range to run a single 75 efficiently. I'll never run a 7 hole injector on a 12v again either.

Also curious on your suspension setup.

Turbo only surges on a heavy loaded dyno. Other than that no surging issues while spooling or staging. The billet 82 I ran surged terribly. I'm running a spring under with an add-a-leaf and stock blown shocks. 33x10.5x16w slicks and cutting 1.60 60fts. I think my truck is a freak of nature in that department.

Surprised you have no surging with spool flange shut on spool up. I was getting it with my 80/92 1.25. Gonna have to tune the flange to open around 10-14 psi to kill my surging. For now I deleted it and all is well.

Im fixing to go back to a single 475 temporarily... loved the simplicity. spool up.... eh I can deal with it for a while until I get my converter re-stalled.

Back