12v twin turbo owners, how did you do your 2nd oil drain?

i prefer TIG whenever i want something to seal. when you MIG you start "cold", this is when the filler material is introduced prior to the weld pool. it create a small build up of weld that does not penetrate, therefore not sealing.

I am not saying that it can not be done with MIG. if you now anyone with a TIG, talk to them and see if they will show you how to weld. you can then TIG your bung in there with no leaks!:woohoo:

PS, TIG is A LOT more fun then MIG. IMO

Old thread, but there is nothing wrong with a mig welder IF YOU KNOW HOW TO WELD.

And to your comment about "cold lap", this is why you start ahead of your weld bead. You start ahead and then come back into the existing bead with a half circle. This process gets a good puddle going and in the process burns out any porosity from the starts, and make a nice continuous bead.
Any experienced welder knows this. You do it especially with stick and mig. Doesnt work with heli-arc.

True but we have 14mm main bolts :lolly:

Go to a pipe supply that fabricates fire sprinkler pipes. I acquired a 3/4" NPT female "Weld-let" from the one our shop uses. Used a hole saw to drill the hole and then stick welded the sucker in!

I wouldn't worry about whether you are using MIG or TIG, the oil pan and drain fitting are under no pressure other than gravity and whatever you have in the crankcase. Plus on our sprinkler pipes all the weld-lets are MIG'd in and very rarely do you have one leak and most of them are at 175psi 24/7...

Its actually called a weld-o-let.

If anyone needs one, PM me and I will ship one out free of charge.
I order and weld in a crap ton at work, any where from 1/2" to 2"

A 3/4" steel coupling (NO GALVANIZED) cut in half works just as good.

Last edited:
Back