1967 RS Duramax Camaro

I will give credit where its due.
The guy with the dmc. Diesel Monte Carlo. He started my hare brained scheme.. I blame it all on him!

He's excited to see it. The biggest reason I started this thread was so that he could follow along with the build. He built it up back in the 80's and made quite a reputation for it in our area. The reputation will be continued, I can assure you LOL

It sits high enough for a full exhaust, but it would be tricky to fabricate. Right now the crossmembers on the front and rear subframes are the lowest points for ground clearance, and trying to fit 3"-4" exhaust underneath the rear would take away most of it. I googled burns stainless, and while their oval pipe are very nice pieces and would remedy the issue some, 24riviera wasn't kidding. It's very expensive, so I will cross this bridge when I get there.

Just you wait...

Cut exhaust tubing on the centerline with a bandsaw and weld in pieces of sheet steel to make your own oval tubing

Cut exhaust tubing on the centerline with a bandsaw and weld in pieces of sheet steel to make your own oval tubing

HA! that would be time consuming!

Flat dies in a press brake and 'squish' a few straight sections

All i can say after 19 pages of reading is wow man wow GREAT job on this build and doing it alot your self, cant wait to see it out and about

Thanks for the kind words and suggestions guys. I don't have much to update as far as pictures go.

Currently the Camaro is wired up and ready to turn over. A buddy of mine came down and helped me hook up the hard stuff and also cleaned up the main engine harness so it looks respectable again. If any of you are looking to do a motor swap, he is great with making standalone harnesses and switch panels.

His name is Matt, tell him I sent you. His website is still new, and he can do just about anything you want with wiring.

http://www.12voltunlimited.com/

Anyways, I have hooked up all the fuel lines, tranny lines, mounted the radiator, tranny cooler, electric fans, most of the electrical, etc. I need to buy a maf and a map sensor since I didn't get them with the Duramax. I need to finish mounting the intercooler and buy boots and tubes to fab that together. Need to plumb the radiator hoses, fab up the intake for the turbo, mount my shifter, build a switch panel and gauge panel, have a driveshaft made, make my brake lines, and the list goes on.

So as of right now what's holding me back is money. I underestimated how much all the little unforeseen things in a build add up and simply need to recoup some funds to continue. I'm widdling away at the small stuff that I can finish without spending anything to keep it moving along until I can get everything to "finish" it.

I'm still hopeful that I can drive it while the weather is still good out here. So please bear with me, because the best is yet to come.

Get ahold of Mishimoto for the boots. I read that they were giving away a boot kit on DP. Id bet they'd love to say they were part of this build.

Keep at it. We're all living vicariously thru you. :)

Thanks for the kind words and suggestions guys. I don't have much to update as far as pictures go.

Currently the Camaro is wired up and ready to turn over. A buddy of mine came down and helped me hook up the hard stuff and also cleaned up the main engine harness so it looks respectable again. If any of you are looking to do a motor swap, he is great with making standalone harnesses and switch panels.

His name is Matt, tell him I sent you. His website is still new, and he can do just about anything you want with wiring.

http://www.12voltunlimited.com/

Anyways, I have hooked up all the fuel lines, tranny lines, mounted the radiator, tranny cooler, electric fans, most of the electrical, etc. I need to buy a maf and a map sensor since I didn't get them with the Duramax. I need to finish mounting the intercooler and buy boots and tubes to fab that together. Need to plumb the radiator hoses, fab up the intake for the turbo, mount my shifter, build a switch panel and gauge panel, have a driveshaft made, make my brake lines, and the list goes on.

So as of right now what's holding me back is money. I underestimated how much all the little unforeseen things in a build add up and simply need to recoup some funds to continue. I'm widdling away at the small stuff that I can finish without spending anything to keep it moving along until I can get everything to "finish" it.

I'm still hopeful that I can drive it while the weather is still good out here. So please bear with me, because the best is yet to come.

I know the waiting on money feeling!!! Keep up the good work though!!! Don't get discouraged!!! We're all eagerly looking forwarding to seeing and hearing the car run!

I've been working on as much as I can without spending money. So I haven't been able to accomplish a lot, but that will change soon I hope. I'll post some pics to keep everyone at bay until the exciting stuff starts to unfold.

My method of deleting the fuel test port and keeping the injector return line.

IMG_0875_zps58ec2ac4.jpg

IMG_0876_zps358531f0.jpg

My intercooler.

IMG_0898_zps9449b9ef.jpg

IMG_0899_zps83410b0a.jpg

Some shots of the wiring. The first is the mojority of the standalone harness for the Duramax. The second is the car harness.

IMG_0890_zpsf5ece956.jpg

IMG_0891_zpsc7019958.jpg

Last edited:
Back