1967 RS Duramax Camaro

I was not aware of this thread, just saw a video and came into this thread asking what was up with the noise and if one of your pumps was having cavitation issues.. that lift pump is horrendous. Sounds like it's running on its own lawnmower engine or something.

Awesome build though.

I was not aware of this thread, just saw a video and came into this thread asking what was up with the noise and if one of your pumps was having cavitation issues.. that lift pump is horrendous. Sounds like it's running on its own lawnmower engine or something.

Awesome build though.

The lift pump will not be on the car much longer. It does not have a cavitation issue, it has a voltage issue that I have not narrowed down yet. I will be ordering dual Kennedy pumps in the near future.

I would like to say thanks to Diesel Army Magazine for recognizing all my efforts on the Camaro.

http://www.dieselarmy.com/news/dustin-hamms-1967-duramax-powered-camaro-is-a-head-turner-2/

They did a good job on the article.Gives you a good feeling about what you have done.when someone writes a good peace on it.

CONGRATS

Dale

Holy crap. Thank you to everybody for the congrats and I'm quite flattered. For some of you guys to feel that my build thread to be held in the same regard to Chris Watson's build is pretty awesome. That guy is amazing, and I've been flying by the seat of my pants for the majority of the time I've spent on the Camaro. I'll be the first one to tell anybody that the Camaro is far from perfect, but it's what I like and it's an extension of me. I appreciate everybody following along and giving useful suggestions and feedback to me as it has been quite helpful.

I'm looking forward to 2014. I'm going to go to as many car shows and diesel events as I can, and hopefully be a regular at our local drag strip.

I was finally able to take my Dad for ride in the Camaro for the first time in 7 years. Thanks to Tony for filming.

Still have only a 40hp tune loaded on the motor, and it burns the tires into third gear. I wish someone would have filmed the dough nut we did when I drove back to the shop...

This is a similar video to what I've posted before, but still thought you would like to see it.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JmQp9iptj5g"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JmQp9iptj5g[/ame]

Holy crap. Thank you to everybody for the congrats and I'm quite flattered. For some of you guys to feel that my build thread to be held in the same regard to Chris Watson's build is pretty awesome. That guy is amazing, and I've been flying by the seat of my pants for the majority of the time I've spent on the Camaro. I'll be the first one to tell anybody that the Camaro is far from perfect, but it's what I like and it's an extension of me. I appreciate everybody following along and giving useful suggestions and feedback to me as it has been quite helpful.

I'm looking forward to 2014. I'm going to go to as many car shows and diesel events as I can, and hopefully be a regular at our local drag strip.

Well, both you and Chris deserve all the recognition you get. You both did fantastic jobs. I just wish you lived closer to MI so I (selfishly) would have a chance to see your car in person. Like posted on DD, the "Woohoo!" from your friend says it all. :clap:

Figured it was time to post a small update. The holidays made my progress slow a bit, and not a lot of pictures to show, but here's something.

I modified the intake by cutting 1/4" out of it to lower it over the motor more, and also shortened the oil filler neck to compensate. I can still get the cap off with the intake installed, even though it might not look like it. I also smoothed, primed and painted the intake.

IMG_1308_zps0844708f.jpg

IMG_1308_zps0844708f.jpg

IMG_1310_zps381245d7.jpg

IMG_1311_zps6b06abf6.jpg

IMG_1312_zpse4fba5b7.jpg

I bought Kennedy's twin lift pumps to replace the loud as hell pump I had on the car. Thank you Tom for mentioning the Kennedy pumps, they are exactly what the Camaro needed.

IMG_1319_zps144400ea.jpg

Since I had already built the mounting tray for the previous pump, I decided to use the bracket that came with the old pump to mount the Kennedy pumps.

IMG_1320_zps3ae35add.jpg

It required slight modification.

IMG_1321_zpsa258ccc9.jpg

IMG_1322_zps2a8bcab5.jpg

IMG_1323_zpsf245444e.jpg

I was rushing to finish so this is the "rough install" pic.

IMG_1324_zpsd42a1cf6.jpg

Last Wednesday I drove the Camaro to Performance Drivetrain so Eric could help me diagnose the whining/howling sound coming from the rear axle. At this point we think it's the pinion bearing, but don't know for sure, so yesterday I pulled the rear axle apart and got the 3rd out, and got proof that the the axles are indeed 40 splines :woohoo:

IMG_1335_zpsa919697b.jpg

IMG_1334_zps68833128.jpg

IMG_1333_zpsa1a12942.jpg

IMG_1336_zpsef4e69aa.jpg

IMG_1337_zpsf2c8b030.jpg

IMG_1338_zps4d6547d6.jpg

IMG_1339_zpsec660dbe.jpg

Tomorrow I'm dropping the 3rd off to be gone through. I have new door glass and a few other parts showing up this week get the car more complete. I still need to take the hood off and get the inner structure finished and painted. I will have more videos coming in the next couple weeks so stay tuned.

Back