1967 RS Duramax Camaro

First off, awesome build. :woohoo: Car looks amazing. I did want to ask though, why did you go with the 47RH instead of the Allison that was behind the Dmax? Did you delete the TCM totally since there is no Allison? Most importantly, how much was that flexplate and adapter combo? I was actually considering a similar Dmax swap into a car (instead of a 12V Cummins I bought). I already have a 47RH and bought the upgrade parts for it (including converter). Wasn't sure if I should get a donor truck and $upgrade$ the Allison, or should I use the RH I already have.

Sweet build fella.

It looks and sounds awesome! Great job!

First off, awesome build. :woohoo: Car looks amazing. I did want to ask though, why did you go with the 47RH instead of the Allison that was behind the Dmax? Did you delete the TCM totally since there is no Allison? Most importantly, how much was that flexplate and adapter combo? I was actually considering a similar Dmax swap into a car (instead of a 12V Cummins I bought). I already have a 47RH and bought the upgrade parts for it (including converter). Wasn't sure if I should get a donor truck and $upgrade$ the Allison, or should I use the RH I already have.

Allison is big....mighta been a lot more tunnel work to stuff it in there .

:thankyou2:

Whitetrash21 is correct. There would have been much more tunnel work to get it to fit. Also, the oil pan on the allison is deep, deep enough to make me think I would have needed to raise the motor up to reclaim lost ground clearance, and would have made me need to remote mount the turbo so a hood would fit.

I had plans to put a Duramax in my Camaro when I was 20, and always wanted to run a 47rh/re behind it. I have a built 47rh in my 12v and really like it, and Suncoast had recently started building the Duraflite's and had success with it at the time.

There is no tcm in my harness, it was completely deleted, so the Duramax thinks it has a manual transmission behind it. It's perfect for an auto with a full manual valve body.

The adapter plate, converter, and billet flexplate was expensive. IIRC, the adapter plate was $1200, the converter (which is a Chrysler converter with a billet Allison front cover) was $1300-$1500, and I think the billet flexplate was about $600. These are not accurate prices, I would recommend calling Ron at Suncoast to get a better idea, it's been awhile since I bought everything.

There is a lot to consider with a motor swap (obviously). The cost of the adapter plate and converter makes most people shy away, but I think there are more advantages to running it.

The size of your vehicle and what you want to do with it plays the biggest role in what motor/tranny you can or will use. I can tell you that I am very happy with my choice so far.

On a side note, I did the first small burnout and half-donut in our shop driveway yesterday after work. No cameras caught it unfortunately, but it was so fun, I cannot wait for more! I've been spending all my spare time restoring 1 1930 Model A on the side and hope to finish it next weekend so I can get the Camaro on the road.

"small burnout" :hehe: Is there such a thing? Glad to hear you are reaping the rewards of all your hard work.

Haven't posted pics in awhile, so I figured you guys would like to see something new. I haven't taken as many pics as normal (sorry) but these are some random ones from the last couple months.

It's amazing how well a bent clothes hanger makes it easier to figure out the proper bends for brake lines.

IMG_1091_zpsa555c425.jpg

IMG_1084_zps05e6ab9c.jpg

IMG_1083_zps41062dda.jpg

IMG_1082_zpsebd10fe1.jpg

IMG_1080_zps77f5cfe8.jpg

IMG_1078_zps855df552.jpg

IMG_1076_zpsaf59638d.jpg

I made a second battery tray to mount the second battery in the trunk.

IMG_1041_zpsa414c560.jpg

IMG_1044_zps5714fe43.jpg

IMG_1042_zps6cf837d9.jpg

IMG_1043_zpsf9c2c058.jpg

IMG_1046_zps3269d12b.jpg

IMG_1045_zpsedb607a6.jpg

I bent the intercooler mounting tabs to wrap around the radiator support.

IMG_1096_zps8fe8ff31.jpg

IMG_1100_zps33b061ef.jpg

IMG_1098_zps0447c351.jpg

IMG_1102_zps1e1e1fb7.jpg

IMG_1104_zps16986ab5.jpg

Looking great!

Have a couple questions...

Why the crinkle bend piping? And why the 90* silicone boots?

Looking great!

Have a couple questions...

Why the crinkle bend piping? And why the 90* silicone boots?

#1: The upper radiator pipe was a straight piece of 2" stainless pipe. It had to make 2 bends to make the transition from the radiator inlet to the coolant pipe coming off the thermostat housing. My buddy Ed helped me bend it with his tubing bender, but his bender is meant for thicker wall tubing, so the small kinks were the result. My first upper hose wasn't up to par, so this was my revised version, and trust me, it looks much better.

The lower radiator pipe was a scrap piece of aluminized exhaust pipe leftover from my boss's 3.4l swap in his 4runner. It happened to be the correct radius to loop under the balancer and connect to the old Camaro radiator hose that I trimmed the excess off of.

#2: I needed a simple way to connect the intercooler piping to the intercooler, so I used the 90* boots. At some point I may replace them with regular piping, but it's a pretty tight fit so I would have to most likely jack the front end up to sneak the pipe up from under the car. It all fits pretty good though the way it currently is.

Couple pics of how I made the MAP sensor fit in the intercooler pipe.

IMG_1215_zpsecb75f22.jpg

IMG_1214_zps6661174f.jpg

IMG_1222_zpscd9abbba.jpg

Started building the intake. I bought Empire Diesel's stock turbo weld on flange.

IMG_1220_zps79d22cdf.jpg

IMG_1219_zps73af6be1.jpg

IMG_1228_zpsdc8d7c43.jpg

I had to shorten the oil filler neck another inch to clear the intake.

IMG_1245_zps75561073.jpg

I'm a little on the fence about the intake. Sometimes I like it, sometimes I don't. It pretty much had to come over the top of the motor because it didn't have enough space to go over the passenger side of the motor, otherwise I would have had to cut a hole in the hood...

I did put the gill on though.

IMG_1246_zps040b1f84.jpg

I took the car for a short drive this afternoon. I got some fuel at the gas station around the corner and gave it some hell when I left. Burned the tires through 3rd gear and kept it straight the whole time.

So far, daddy likey LOL

Back