1994 F250 Cummins swap

tbrown1986

Hello. I am putting a 1993 5.9 IC VE pump Cummins in my 1994 extended cab long bed 4x4 F250. The truck originally had a 7.3 turbo IDI. Its a 5 speed. I bought the adaptor plate from fordcummins along with the motor mounts. Here is where I am so far.....

1323885239.jpg
[/IMG]
1323885144.jpg
[/IMG]

Here is the motor all cleaned up and the fordcummins adaptor plate mounted to the ZF5

I'm doing a 3 inch body lift for clearance so I can get to #6. I also eventually want to replace the Dana 50 with a D60. I have a regular bed for it already. I'm going to try to document this build the best I can. I'm sure I'll have lots of questions.

Without a body lift the only clearance issue is pulling the last 2 pushrods if you need to pull the head. A 3/4" hole punched under the cowl fixes that, put a rubber plug in it. The valve covers come out fine.

So is a body lift not a good idea? I've put them on before and they are easy to install. I just have a buddy put them into place when I lift the cab off the frame. Are there any draw backs to installing a body lift?

With the help of a buddy and my dad's tractor, we got it pushed into the shop tonight. I luckily have the day off tomrrow and also the rest of the weekend, so hopefully I can make some progress this weekend.

Yes hope your project goes well. My 94 had an idi turbo engine, and yeah its a pretty cool feeling taking it for a drive the first time with a 5.9 under the hood.

(tbrown1986) im wanting to do the exact swap you have but in my half ton 1995 f150?
I also have a 5 speed but idk what kind? is the gaser 5 speed the same as the diesel 5 speed?? And how much was your adaptor plate to but up with the cummins motor?

1995ford kid, you should have either the Mazda built M5OD or the small block ZF5. Neither of these transmissions will work. If you want to stick with a standard transmission you need to look for a Big Block ZF5 from a 3/4 ton or larger ford truck that either had a diesel motor or a 460 gas motor. The adaptor plate was purchased through fordcummins.com, it was $800. Another option for you is that if you can find a wrecked dodge pickup, you can use the NV4500 that came standard in 5 speed Dodge pickups. That way you wont have to purchase the adaptor plate. If you go that route you'll have to get some other conversion parts for the drive shafts and such. These swaps are not cheap if you do them the right way. You can expect to spend anywhere from$3000 on up to do it right.

After work today I got a friend to come over and help me muscle the big 5.9 into place. I ran into a few issuse on this 1994 that I didn't run into on my 88. First off, the turbo is hitting the air condition box (sorry I dont know the specific term). Second off, the belll housing on the transmission is hitting the bottom of the firewall. Fordcummins recomends that you take a hammer and beat the excess metal out of the way. I dont think I want to do that. I'm going to put that body lift on. The 3 inch one. Some people like them, some hate them. No one makes an aftermarket body lift for a diesel truck. I'm not sure why..the only thing I can think of is the hoses and pipe for the IC and the radiator. Since I have to find hoses that will work anyway the radiator isn't a problem. I also have to make some custom piping for the IC. I see no reason why I shouldn't put this BL on. It will not only give me the room I need to clear the bellhouse but also full access to the 6th valve cover.

Tomorrow hopefully after work, I'm going to run to town and go to the 4x4 shop. He sells the 3" pucks for $5 a piece. Then I'll have to hunt down some longer bolts. I figure a $60 body lift is better than beating up my sheet metal!

Hello. I am putting a 1993 5.9 IC VE pump Cummins in my 1994 extended cab long bed 4x4 F250. The truck originally had a 7.3 turbo IDI. Its a 5 speed. I bought the adaptor plate from fordcummins along with the motor mounts. Here is where I am so far.....

1323885144.jpg

Here is the motor all cleaned up and the fordcummins adaptor plate mounted to the ZF5

Your mount is upside down from how I installed mine. I had none of the clearance issues you are having, just my thoughts....

jscsir10, I'm not sure what you mean by drop in DP......

5ninef250, Yeah we learned that the hard way too!!!!

Ok...what exhaust manifolds has everyone used? The setup from fordcummins is around $400. My motor came from a FedEx style truck. From what I've read the exhaust manifold from fordcummins is just an industrial application manifold. If that's true then that should be what I already have...I'm a little confused. I emailed fordcummins and all they would tell me is that it's a cummins part. Anyone know what my options are? My problem is that my turbo is hitting the a/c housing.

They push the industrial manifold, I used the standard Dodge style. Can you take pics of your set up in the truck? Schmitty pic of mine:

Shows the clearance around the A/C box. I plan to run electric fans eventually so the engine is placed as far back as the slots in the trans mount allow.

i have a custom made 4" dp that can be used with the stock manifold flipped on a hx35...

i went from a flipped stock one to a industrial rear mount flipped to move the turbo forward for more room for my bigger turbo...

Ok, quick question. My motor came out of a FedEx style truck. Wouldn't I already have the industrial exhaust manifold? I can take some better pictures tomorrow. I found a guy on here selling the fordcummins manifold for $115 shipped. I'm not even sure what size turbo I have. For the downpipe I planned on taking it to the exhaust shop and having one made there so that I know it fits!!

5ninef250: it looks like your turbo is very close to your a/c box. Does it cause you any problems?

jscsir10: I think I'm going to go with the industrial style also. I've spent a lot of money on this project to try to do it right so why stop now. I appreciate the offer though.

Back