2001 Excursion v10-12v :)

turbom700

Wife said we need a bigger vehicle for going back and fourth to the cabin and I was getting sick of have my TDI full of stuff every weekend. Being looking for a while for a Excursion todo the swap on. Found this last week 90 miles from home. Went and picked it up sunday.
Its a 2001 Limited V10 with 189k on it. Body and interior are really clean. Transmission hang in every gear and the motor will hyrdo lock after its warmed up.

I have the spare 4r100 for my truck and the adapter plate. Just looking for a 12v now and this project will get going quickly.

Once the motors in and all the bugs have been worked out I will build a second tank and run WVO as I can get filter clean WVO for 2 bucks a gallon.

Here some pics of it. Will add more once I find the motor. I'm sure I will have a ton of questions as I know jack about 12v.

Where is everyone looking for used 12v? I have search CL found some put not alot could be my area.

IMG_3405_zps08260207.jpg

image2_zpse395277e.jpeg

[ame]http://i250.photobucket.com/albums/gg280/Turbom700/EXCURSION/image5_zps9ffc5b6e.jpeg[/ame]

IMG_3407_zps6944d538.jpg

image_zpsafd72ac8.jpeg

Looks like a great project rig. I have been looking to do that to my 04 limited. Best place I have found motors is craigslist for a whole truck.

Looks like a great project rig. I have been thinking about doing the same thing to my 2004 limited. The best places I have found complete engines is craigs list and gov auction for complete vehicles running or not.

For you guys that have done this conversion. Is it possible to keep the factory ECM hook the ford sensors up to the cummins and use the ford ECM to control the transmission.

Yes it is possible to use the factory for sensors to control the trans. You will need to modify a few things to get signal but you can do it.

What are the things I need to modify.

Do you just leave the wires for stuff thats not used injectors,coil packs etc. open or do you put a resitiance in them so the computer doesnt freak out. (I dont know if the computer will even freak out)

I have the wiring diagram for the truck so I will easily be able to figure out what I need and dont.

Did a 6.0 to a 12v and you used factory harness and cut out harness sections you don't need. Most of the harness goes to scrap. I don't recall exactly what was saved and what wasn't but most hit the trash. They probably will do the same for the V10 and have your repin it to the connector as needed. DCS helped me out a lot. And they have a lot of usual info on their website.

Well got the motor bought,adapter plate showed up. Need to order the TC and PCS(or use the factory pcm not sure yet).

Need to find a dodge vacuum pump/PS pump still and buy or build motor mounts.

The plan right now is to take the truck up to my brother pull the cab/body off then bring the chassis back and do all the fab work for the motor and transmission. Then set the body back on the frame.

While the body offs I'm going to use this product http://www.tptools.com/U-Pol-Raptor-Spray-On-Truck-Bed-Liner-Kit,2600.html and do the under side of the body and then lizard skin the front have to hopefully help keep noise down.

Do you need the vacuum pump, or just Power steering?

If you don't have to have the vacuum pump, find a medium duty PS pump, or get a belt drive one off a 3rd Gen. The vacuum pumps are a pain unless you have to have them. Good place to leak oil.

Chris

V10 ex's were vacuum brakes, but ditch that crap and go hydraboost and get a medium duty pump like Chris suggested. Get a 12v pump like the 7.3 trucks used for the other crap that needs vacuum.

I converted one from vacuum to hydraboost. Holy crap, no comparison.

Thanks I will keep that in mind.

Any good place to find the belt drive on for a 3rd gen. Do you just build a block off plate where the vacuum pump would tie into.

I'll look into just keep the Ford PS pump and building lines for the hyrdo boost set-up.

I'm thinking I can just get the hydro-boost and line from rock auto for like any 7,3l truck.

Thanks Mike

Build a block off, or buy it. Not all engines had something there;)

I can get you a part number if you need it.
Chris

I can just whip one up on the cnc machine at work.

Thanks for the offer thou.

Next i will have to figure out the Ford PS pump mounting.

For those of you that have done these conversions can i leave the stock PCM to control the transmission. I understand that PCS is a better way to go put its also 850 bucks. I dont mind spending the money but if I can make the stock one work I'm all for that.

Whats the disadvantage of the stock one?

Thanks Mike

Seems as if my motor I was going to buy fell thru so my question is I found a 5.9 12v with a p-pump out of a medium duty truck. Any reason why this wouldn't bolt up or work in a X?

Thanks
Mike

The bellhousing adapter will need to be removed, as it is probably a sae adapter. The injection pump will probably be heavily governed but p pump mods will still work. and you might end up with some funky water necks, and accessory mounts.
All 12v dodge stuff will bolt on.
If its cheap and good. Go for it.

Back