2012 NHRDA Season opener at Speedworld Dragstrip

Did you Win the burnout big blue?
Was everyone in super street in the 10s? Low tens? High tens?

Nope, Fred from Disher trucking got the win. I was back in the pits changing tires to get ready for the burnout contest so I can't give an opinion on who had the best burnout. The wind did kick up pretty good on my burnout so the smoke didn't get a chance to linger like it did last year.

The prize this year was $1,000 cash, so I was prepared to burn it down to the ground but they cut me off when some fluid started dropping around 40 seconds into the burnout. I thought for sure I'd get at least one tire to blow but it just didn't happen.

I can't complain, I ended up taking 3rd in the 11.90 Super Diesel class and earned enough money to just about cover my fuel expense for the trip.

That's awesome! was there a purse or just contingency? Looked like a great event! Hope to make it next year!

Zane and I had a great race. I blew through something in the drivetrain over spinning the engine and pulled all fuel when it hit the rev limiter. recovered and Zane went on by. I had to trun up the tune and hit the .030 n2o jet I had for spooling to try and run him down. Didn't look like i was going to make it. I got lucky a few times yesterday. Really helos using a dsp 5 switch to back off power to win by just enough and try to nurse a hurt set-up, Lots of new things were being tested and found out a few issues that will be fixed and had many things go/work well. I'm looking forward to a great season.

Looks like this season should be a good one! Guys just need to start working on their rigs before Feburuary so that this race isn't the testing ground anymore. Had too many trucks break in test and tune the night before!!

Just downloading pictures and videos now. Good to be home but had an incredible weekend in sunny Arizona. Beautiful weather and great times with friends. HUGE thanks to Dennis and Nate at Strictly Diesel and the NHRDA for busting their ass to help provide such an awesome event for us competitors. Over the past couple years, this event has turned into a "can't miss" on our list.

There had been talk all winter to make a turbocharger change on the Lightning truck for the new season and a last minute decision was made 8-days before we had to leave for the event. Started the fabrication of the Triple Turbo system on Wednesday last week, somehow got it completed the following Wednesday just in time to fire it up, check for leaks, and load it in the trailer to make the drive down to AZ Thursday morning. Was alot of unknowns going into the first test pass Friday night, but once again Pius at Bell Turbo pulled it off. The new Triples worked better than expected...incredible spool-up and awesome manners going down the track. Truck made 110-psi boost pressure fuel only at well under 1:1 drive ratio. Zane said he didn't really even need to spool-it, turbos made instant boost at the wack of the throttle. Had to do some fine tuning on our wastegate settings throughout the day, but think they're pretty well dialed in after just 4-passes.

Truck ran a best of 10.17, time slip trap speed was off but our data logs show it was around 138mph. Race against Max'D Out was very exciting...our 10.17 to his 10.19, lost it on a holeshot. Think it made for a great show though, couldn't lose a race to better guy. Lots of other fast trucks running, sucked to see so many guys break in the Test n Tune the night before, would like to have those trucks running in front of the crowd on race day. All and all we had a great weekend, so glad its finally race season again.

2630501100075117731S600x600Q85.jpg

2677097860075117731S600x600Q85.jpg

2498291660075117731S600x600Q85.jpg

2617351450075117731S600x600Q85.jpg

2164374520075117731S600x600Q85.jpg

2987745220075117731S600x600Q85.jpg

2255334830075117731S600x600Q85.jpg

2311840260075117731S600x600Q85.jpg

Last edited:
Big congratulations. Very impressive to say the least. Wish I could have witnessed it. Care to share info on the triples or is it a trade secret setup?

Got lucky and snapped a photo right when the DirtyMax blew its intercooler apart! Bye bye hoodscoop.....

dirtymax-boom.jpg

It was very impressive that's for sure! Glad too see another motor be successful at such a duramax dominated event! Lots of fun things happened this weekend! Tyler driving "misery" to it's almost fastest time on his 17th birthday and his first race out and then going up in finals against the one and only Rob Coddens! Aaron made a couple come backs in the new truck, Verlon and Rob both hot lapping the hell out of their trucks and both taking home trophies for all four classes, KC Jones and the worlds fastest "choo-choo's" were amazing, and a big congrats to Peyton from H&S for a pro-street win at the first race ever with their new truck!

Event was awesome and couldn't happen with out the competitors! Thanks to all that attended and congrats again to the winners!

Great pics! Holy crap, glad I wasn't driving DirtyMax when that blew up! It's been spooky enough when blowing turbo boots off before. It will add a little weight, but my new truck is getting a steel firewall with a couple of 4130 Chrome Moly shields just so stuff like that doesn't scare the crap out of me!

Got lucky and snapped a photo right when the DirtyMax blew its intercooler apart! Bye bye hoodscoop.....

Clean up in the MBRP lane please! This would make a good depends commercial shot. " For those Oh Crap moments!"

Sucks that they had problems would like to have seen the new setup make a few runs. Good luck to them with getting it back together hope its not too bad.

Clean up in the MBRP lane please! This would make a good depends commercial shot. " For those Oh Crap moments!"

Sucks that they had problems would like to have seen the new setup make a few runs. Good luck to them with getting it back together hope its not too bad.

What was cool was that it was still running after that happened!

Here's some behind the scene pictures of competitors, spectators, etc. My favorite has to be the one of John "Two Can" Robinson using his advanced Either Spraying degree :lolly:

IMG_3586.jpg

IMG_3622.jpg

IMG_3629.jpg

IMG_3630.jpg

IMG_3672.jpg

IMG_3674.jpg

IMG_3694.jpg

IMG_3707.jpg

IMG_3708.jpg

IMG_3721.jpg

Did you sneak up on me when I was changing injectors between qualifying runs? Someone snuck up and took a picture and just took off without saying anything. I didn't pay Attention cause I was busy burning myself on the manifold getting the injectors swapped before the second round!

Sent from my iPhone during class

Ah man. You caught my classic "stick my tongue out at Matt" pose. At least my hair looks good! Hahah

Thanks for the pic Jason, I would hire you to be our wedding photographer but your camera makes me look ugly.. Or is that what i really look like?

Back