241 DHD (Small Shaft Or Big Shaft)?

97' CTD

FeFiFo-FoFeFeFi
How do U tell which shaft it has? I really need to swap me a DHD in my 5-speed puller but I want to do it right the 1st time!
Brandon

just so you guys know i have a 271 transfer case out of my 05 sitting a buddies garage for sale

Just swap to a 271 now instead of after you break the 241DHD...$.02

Here's a pic of the 271 shaft size (both the slip yoke style rear shaft and the flanged style rear shaft). Very beefy!

If you are interested I have one more 271 case with a flanged rear output shaft that I can get setup for you. PM me if you are interested...

DSC01356.jpg

I think the DHD you want is the one piece tail section. If it says DHD and is a two piece tail section then it may not be a big shaft DHD. I may have it backwards, I will try to look at mine and find out. One way to make sure is if you get one from a 3500 diesel, it is probably gonna be the Big one.

The DHD will handle tons of abuse, there are pullers putting down close to 1000HP through them.

One thing to remember is the 97 and older trucks have a different shifter than the 98+. 98+ the shifter is mounted to the body, the 97- it is mounted to the tranny, and I think it has a different shift pattern also. I also think the holes in the floor are different. Scott Vorhees did a 271 swap into his 97, he would be an excellent source.

I also have access to a 271 with no problem for $700 that a friends selling. Im sticking with my DHD though

I just want the DHD cause I don't have the money to do my driveshafts so I just want to unbolt the DLD and bolt in the DHD and go! I don't have enuff power to break a DHD anyway.....................
Brandon

Brandon I pretty positive you will cant just swap them out. Your driveshaft will have to be shortened from what I understand. I am in the same transfer on my 2.6 truck as you are.

Brandon if the output shaft is larger you're going to have to change out the slip yoke on the drive shaft.

I just want the DHD cause I don't have the money to do my driveshafts so I just want to unbolt the DLD and bolt in the DHD and go! I don't have enuff power to break a DHD anyway.....................
Brandon

Your gonna have to redo your rear shaft, the DHD is longer and needs a different output yoke.

When I did the LD to HD swap the drive shaft didn't need to be cut at all just needed a new yoke. My truck is the ext cab short bed configuration.

you might as well install a 271 since your going to have to have the drive shaft modified anyway for the DHD. the 271 is heavier than the DHD.

Back