241 DHD (Small Shaft Or Big Shaft)?

-So what is the spline count on the 5-speeds?

-I will need different slip yoke for rear shaft (possibly shorten)

-I do have a 97' so will the shifter and all that work?
Brandon

They spline count to the tranny is the same. Yolk obviously you know is different. But I am 99% sure your drive shaft will have to be shortened.

By the way I would like to do some talking with ya bout our trucks. Fairly similar with the turbo size. Curious if you can let me know any little tricks with em. Since you seem to have yours running just fine.

not to steal the thread but has anyone tried swapping out the u joints from a 3rd gen into a 2nd gen

By the way I would like to do some talking with ya bout our trucks. Fairly similar with the turbo size. Curious if you can let me know any little tricks with em. Since you seem to have yours running just fine.

Just shoot me a PM with your number and I will get at ya!

Brandon

did a swap on a buddys truck from a dld to a dhd and he didnt shorten the drive shaft tho it was an auto

I was thinking of doing the 271 swap and when I called Haisley about my drive shaft they said they have never heard of doing that!!! All of their street pullers (COPPESS/AMOS) have the DHD transfer. Brandon if you have a good drive shaft all you will need is buy a slip yoke for the DHD. Output spline count is 29 on the DHD and 23 on DLD!!! IMO go with 241DHD. Parts are available with ease.

And Im still waiting on the guy to call me back on the DHD!!!

i just did a 271 swap in my truck....easy install,...drive shaft needs to be shorten about 5-6"

I was thinking of doing the 271 swap and when I called Haisley about my drive shaft they said they have never heard of doing that!!! All of their street pullers (COPPESS/AMOS) have the DHD transfer. Brandon if you have a good drive shaft all you will need is buy a slip yoke for the DHD. Output spline count is 29 on the DHD and 23 on DLD!!! IMO go with 241DHD. Parts are available with ease.

And Im still waiting on the guy to call me back on the DHD!!!

If I remember right, back when I broke my 241 DHD the only slip yoke for a 1480 u-joint was a custom one made by a couple places (I think Haisley was one of them)? Maybe this has changed...

If you have ever had both cases apart you see why the 271 has such a higher torque rating. Everthing is bigger...

If you go with a 271 with a flanged rear shaft, then you gain having a needle bearing right at the output of the case to help support the shaft as opposed to the bushing on the slip yoke style. Not to mention if you have rear drive shaft trouble, you can unbolt it and drive off without losing all the fluid.

At one time you could get 271's cheaper than a 241DHD.

98+ trucks probably a no brainer, get the 271 if you can get it for the same money.

97 and older, you will loose the speedo, unless you want to spend some coin. I haven't played with the pulse count on the speedo to know how many pulses and if something could be tied into the ring and pinion speed sensor.

I just put a 241 DHD in my 96 and was wondering what to do to get the speedo back myself

Im swaping out my dld to a dhd as we speak. Does anyone know where to get the bigger slip yoke for the dhd?

I found out that a '96 DHD has a smaller output shaft than a '99 DHD the hard way, after I bought it.

I have a 271 for sale too that I was gonna use but went another route.

I just put a 241 DHD in my 96 and was wondering what to do to get the speedo back myself

All you need is a tail stock or whole T-Case DHD from a 96-early 98 truck. That case comes with the speedo sensor on it.

About the durability of the DHD case. I have a 1997 case in my puller and I have put it thru some extreme abuse and never had a problem. The large 1480 slip yoke was supplied by haisleys as well as the front 1410 yoke. Its true that both Coppess and Amos both have the DHD's and never seen a problem and I am/should be pushing out more power than they are...and Im running a standard which should also be a little harder on it. I talked to Van about swapping a 271 into my brothers truck seeing he was going as moddified as possible while still running 1-ton or smaller drive train and he said just to run the DHD as its stonger....I will take Van's word for it!

RyanB

Well finished mine up and you do have to shorten the drive shaft 1" from a DLD to a DHD swap. I have a 97 ext cab long bed 5 speed. I put a DHD out of a 95 in it for a while and had another DHD from an 01 or something. The only difference was the slip yolk needed to be bigger on the newer transfer case. Also upgraded everything to 1480 since i broke the rear yolk.

This is back to there are two DHD's out. Most think that the PTO cover means you get the big DHD. The best way to insure that you get the true DHD is go with something out of a dually, especially 3.54. When I was digging around, for mine that is that I had found. Seems that chrysler got scared of the small DHD in a 3.54 diesel equiped 3500.

I was at haisleys and there was a DHD with the pto cover and it had the small output shaft broke right at the snap ring.

This is back to there are two DHD's out. Most think that the PTO cover means you get the big DHD. The best way to insure that you get the true DHD is go with something out of a dually, especially 3.54. When I was digging around, for mine that is that I had found. Seems that chrysler got scared of the small DHD in a 3.54 diesel equiped 3500.

I was at haisleys and there was a DHD with the pto cover and it had the small output shaft broke right at the snap ring.

You are exactly right!

Back