24v build and break in

bluelineranch

Hey guys I'm in the process of rebuilding my engine and would like some input,
the block has been magnifluxed and is waiting to be bored (had to be .20 over)
the crank seems good but the rotating assembly is getting sent off for knife edging and balancing
Im studding the mains and using a-1 rod bolts and getting the mains line bored due to the clamping force of main studs
now my questions begin
is it really necessary to knife edge the crank on a dd and part time race rig?
should i spend the money to cryo rods on a truck rarely turning 4k? and if so should i do it after the balancing or before?
where the heck do I find a .20 over head gasket?
my head studs are used but can I get away with using them again?
can i make common rail rocker studs fit into a "99 cylinder head, it doesn't seem like from what I'm seeing
Is this build over kill for 650 rwhp?
and finally how the heck do I break it in? to seat rings and not mess up the new cam?

Wow, you've got quite the list of questions. From what I've read on here in the past, it all depends on your application. Is this gunna be a pulling truck or daily driver?

For daily driving, cryo rods, I wouldn't think would be necessary for 650 hp.
Studs can be torqued a couple times I've heard. Just a suggestion tho, instead of paying seveal hundred for main studs, I used 12.9 grade 14mm cap screws. they rate probably in between stock bolts and studs but cost less than half of what studs cost. So I'd just say figure out what your goals are. You may not need main studs.

I haven't seen anything advertised for the 24v head gasket being .020 over. I've seen the 12v having different thicknesses. Call Pure Diesel Power. Garrett Shields is a pretty good guy to do business with.

Is that wise?:lolly:

I just read a few threads if yours or related to you and I would do the opposite of everything you sayLOL:poke:

Is that wise?:lolly:

I just read a few threads if yours or related to you and I would do the opposite of everything you sayLOL:poke:

LOL LOL

I don't Blame ya Brah!! I wouldn't listen to me either LOL

Well unless you hv my luck you shd be good!
I just built mine again and started beating on it fairly soon.. Its running great so far.

You'll get different opinions about break in... I've done it both ways and my luck is the same every time..LOL

HOPING THIS ONE WILL END THAT STRING!

Everything is mend-able. Just throw $$$$ at it until it's fixed.

I think i have the same luck as you but with power strokes. Dropped a fair amount of $ to convert my 08 SD with a 05 cr and allison.

Last edited:
Everything is mend-able. Just throw $$$$ at it until it's fixed.

I think i have the same luck as you but with power strokes. Dropped a fair amount of $ to convert my 08 SD with a 05 cr and allison.

Wow! Tough build!

Awesome.

Go to Cummins and get your gasket.I've been running a 12v 20 over marine gasket for years on my 24v.don't trust anything but the Cummins 20 over.felpro sells a multi layer 20 over.its junk don't buy it.

I have a new cummins .020" over gasket from Mumau laying here that was my spare. I never needed it. It's a marine gasket that has been cut properly for a 24V application.

thanks guys, its getting rebuilt because an injector tip came apart and gave number 2 piston some wounds, its going to be a daily driver but I drive it like I stole it on a daily basis I came up with all the questions because the search button made me more confused ha ha.
Ive also got a hamilton stage 3 going in
II dragon flow vp
diesel auto power 6x.018s
and an aurora 5k going on it

Im really confused on engine break in, colt cams says to set it at 2k rmp for like 20 minutes while I couldnt find directions on zacks website other than use additive and make sure oil is at the rockers should i start her up and drive the piss out of it or baby it for 500 miles?
Thanks for the feedback guys!

hook up to something and start pulling with it dont beat on it just put it under a good load for the first 500 to 1000 miles

are you talking .02 thicker? or .02 cause of the over bore? your first post sounds like u mean .02 cause of the bore. maybe im just interpreting it wrong? if yo mean it that way then a stocker is fine. dont need a bigger bore gasket. if not, well sorry for the confusion and good luck with the build. also i've always hear with a new cam raise rpms to 2000 for 15-20 min. keep an eye on your oil level until it stops using oil more then normal. new rings will seep some oil past them and burn more then normal until they fully seat sometimes. i wouldnt rip on it for at least 500 miles for a dd. competition use, build it, break it in for 20 and go pull or race but not for a dd and longevity. thats how we break in motors at our shop.

chris

They are talking about .020 over on the thickness of the gaskets... Marine's are .020 thicker.

I have a new cummins .020" over gasket from Mumau laying here that was my spare. I never needed it. It's a marine gasket that has been cut properly for a 24V application.

That's what you need, not a 12v gasket.

Back