3.42s for pulling

Not really, if you think about it that's exactly how you've always talked to me. Meh, have another beer and we'll discuss those 3.42s.

Last edited:
A 2.6 charger that is built to support 1000 horse will not be street driven. People think it's no big deal to have a 900 1000 rwhp 2.6 truck. It's harder than it Sounds and doesn't happen overnight.

from phone

Thanks for the feedback. I know what gears I should be running to pull, I was in the mind set to have a somewhat streetable setup. I barely drive the truck on the street as it is, only weekends, I'm just spitballing ideas. I pull in NY mostly where there's only a few descent tracks and some are sandy, others are just dirt fields. Since I've researched and found where track speed can vary from mid 20s to low 30mph range I figured I'd want more wheel speed to spin the whole track. So even if I ran a lower wheel speed say 35+/- this wouldn't be something that would work? My original plan was 4:88s until I found out about a 3:42 on a couple trucks that seem to be running well.

Im gonna say its probably not going to do what you want, even at 1000 horse. Every time ive seen your truck run, it has run well and by the sounds of things its going to be hard to beat around these parts come spring.

Im not sure where in CNY you are from, but if you want to try it anyhow or go a different route with gears and need a fair price on gears and installation in the general CNY area, drop me a line.
I'll keep you in mind for whichever route I go with the truck, thanks.

Thanks for the feedback. I know what gears I should be running to pull, I was in the mind set to have a somewhat streetable setup. I barely drive the truck on the street as it is, only weekends, I'm just spitballing ideas. I pull in NY mostly where there's only a few descent tracks and some are sandy, others are just dirt fields. Since I've researched and found where track speed can vary from mid 20s to low 30mph range I figured I'd want more wheel speed to spin the whole track. So even if I ran a lower wheel speed say 35+/- this wouldn't be something that would work? My original plan was 4:88s until I found out about a 3:42 on a couple trucks that seem to be running well.

Where in ny do you pull. Most of our tracks in wny are pretty tight clay tracks.

from phone

I think your missing the point. Everyone wants more wheel speed but you just cant say i want 50 mph wheel speed. You have to have enough power to be able to generate that kinda wheel speed. Most big 3.0 trucks dont turn that kinda wheel speed and your wanting this out of a 2.6 street truck.

I pull mostly central NY, never pulled put west NY really. I understand that it will take X amount of power to make X amount of wheelspeed (with other variables) but since im not familiar with a 3:42 im not sure what would work with it is what im trying to say.

Your not going to turn big rpm with 3.42 gears unless you hold it in a lower gear in the trans. Mid 30 is all your going to be able to hit with the power you think your going to make unless you are on complete chit tracks at which point a lot of wheel speed is a bad thing

I wouldn't expect any less from you.

If Corey ran stock allison gearing 3.42s would never work. If you're not creative you don't win.

Please enlighten me with your math, im waiting to prove you wrong.....

Please enlighten me with your math, im waiting to prove you wrong.....

I was questioning his statement as well
4.88 give you a 13.27 final
13.1 can be achieved with a 3.42 gear

So I wasn't following how it wouldn't work.

Last edited:
I was questioning his statement as well
4.88 give you a 13.27 final
13.1 can be achieved with a 3.42 gear

So I wasn't following how it wouldn't work.

In what gear? In drive I get 9.3:1

That's going to be hard on parts to get it to spool and leave in that high of a final don't you think?

The secrets out......wont be able to buy a set of 3.42s anywhere tomarrow.....roflmao!

Hey Lee, we run batmo chargers too, so u can start rippin on me about that too becasue i know they cant make power!

Last edited:
Caleb, you run 35s with 3.42 in 3rd gear on most tracks? Is that what you were accused of lying about?

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk 2

Just wondering Why so many auto guys don't wanna run direct drive? 4th is direct in a Allison correct?

from phone

That's going to be hard on parts to get it to spool and leave in that high of a final don't you think?

Dmaxes(CR's even) are a different animal, lot of the DMAX guys with the 4.56/4.88 gears are leaving in 3rd anyway.

As far as the 3.42 yes it could be harder on the tcase and such, but if it seems to work then might be worth it to keep the streetability.

Back