3.73s, 35s, G56,SBC Triple Disk..... 5th gear low range?

Cummin_Get_Some

diesel fanatic
I have 3.73s in my 05, running 35" M/T with about 1/4" of tread left on them. The truck has its second g56 in it with a SBC triple disk. Just wondering if 5th gear (since its direct drive, 1:1) would be less strain on the tranny then 4th gear? The axle tubes have been welded in as well. Leaving now pulls start at 7 so any quick advice is appreciated. I'll check from my phone before I pull.

It better be a loose track if your gonna use direct with 35's.

I would say 285's and you could probably do it.

I'm with Dan...I think 35s and 5th low are asking for some trouble.

5th low is a good tough gear better than 2nd high if your shootn water it prob will turn um

Well I backed out of trying fifth. Went with 4th. damn thing bounced so bad the official and several others swear there was a foot of air une'er the front tires.... Haven't seen the video yet but from the ride I can believe it. Ended up fourth missed third by threw inches. Duramaxs first and second places...

Even though 4th isn't the strongest gear, thats probably the highest gear you could pull with those 35's and 3.73's. Most guys run 35's with 4.88's or5.13's in direct drive low range.

Thanks Caleb!!! Yeah u probably right.

Yeah all trannys will break. I don't really think 4500 or 5600 is any better then the G56... If/when it breaks
next time it will probably get a zf6 from a duramax put behind it...

you might want to think about puttin weight up front and some axle stops in the back, might clean up ur bunny hop and be easier on parts

man that thing needs some suspension blocks, traction bars and hanging weight that was painful to watch

you might want to think about puttin weight up front and some axle stops in the back, might clean up ur bunny hop and be easier on parts

man that thing needs some suspension blocks, traction bars and hanging weight that was painful to watch

There was 1000lbs in the bed against the stacks and suspension blocks. No trac bars yet though.. took the blocks out and ran again and it did great.. as soon as Caleb gets that video loaded on youtube I'll post it too.

The suspension stops were kinda instantly destroyed, bad design. Thats why you can see it flew so much at the end. It was solid at the beginning. Think Im gonna stay away from them til track bars are on it.

Thanks Caleb!!! Yeah u probably right.

Yeah all trannys will break. I don't really think 4500 or 5600 is any better then the G56... If/when it breaks
next time it will probably get a zf6 from a duramax put behind it...

After watchin that video u would be lucky to keep a tranny alive. U really think a zf6 from a dmax will be better? And a 5600 is a whole lot better than a g56

After watchin that video u would be lucky to keep a tranny alive. U really think a zf6 from a dmax will be better? And a 5600 is a whole lot better than a g56

Thats the first time that truck or my last truck has ever hopped. I tried to get it to settle but no luck. And yeah I really think the zf6 is a hell of a lot better then any of the dodge trannys. The G56 is 10times nicer driving the either of the NV trannys. Yes in stock form the G56s break more commonly then the NVs. But the cost to rebuild or to buy a used NV is insane now that they are no more.

Internally the G56 suppose to be many times stronger then the NVs.. but the aluminum case flexs and allows everything to come apart. There suppose to be an aftermarket cast case coming out soon for the G56 to fix the problem. Then dodge may finally have a tranny worth having.

dude i have no idea how you didnt break anything but put the weight on the front of the truck. that weight in back did you no good. the sled puts all the weight you need back there. if it aint out front it does no good. and build some blocks that set the rearend above level so truck levels out wen you take off and some good bars to keep rearend from moving.

to revisit this thread...

i have 33s and 3.73 with a g56, what about pulling in 2nd high?

Back