3406E build, got questions

The 1,000 hp C18 injector flow part interest me. I've heard rumor it is possible to build a C18 out of a 3406 E or a C15. Any truth to that?

Sorry to derail the thread...

Haha yea I bought the parts to build one just have to go pick them up. All the parts are the same except pistons, liners and crank. Head/block/rods are the same as C15. Mine is an Acert, so I'm using an MXS as a donor motor. No C18 injectors though, going to be a nasty street motor for a glider.

Fighting with Cat over this one. 75k miles on a platinum overhaul. Either the USED skirt failed or the liner. Took out the oil pump and block too.

Exhaust manifold? PDI seems to be the only way to go. Full Tilt/Bullydog is about the same as stock. Press fit breaks studs. New PDI slides together with seals and has huge turbo mount studs. Really nice piece

What about a B manifold?

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

Fighting with Cat over this one. 75k miles on a platinum overhaul. Either the USED skirt failed or the liner. Took out the oil pump and block too.

Exhaust manifold? PDI seems to be the only way to go. Full Tilt/Bullydog is about the same as stock. Press fit breaks studs. New PDI slides together with seals and has huge turbo mount studs. Really nice piece

Have you played with the CT engines yet? The slip joint they have for the EGR is sweet.

Monkey Fist Rage

The block is the same c15/16/18

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

Exterior is different. CAT is shipping the newer/machined casting as replacement now. Quite a few more exterior mounting bosses. Compatible though.

You guys seen the reman heads are all ACERT heads now, and they are putting shims in the rocker saddles?

Monkey Fist Rage

So the next question is, will caterpillar build this 700+HP engine and warranty it? I'm thinking no.... but I could be wrong

thats a grey area that would have to be sorted out with the PSSR (Product Sales & Support Rep) if you are sneaky and he is green, yes you can.

So the next question is, will caterpillar build this 700+HP engine and warranty it? I'm thinking no.... but I could be wrong

No sir. Has to be the EPA registered engine rating for OPT coverage.
Had to take a 625 back to 550 a few weeks back to enroll it for coverage.

Hardware only and you would have to know the failure to get that covered.

Well yeah. I see what Nootch is saying. If you can swing your nuts far and wide CAT will pay for anything.

Monkey Fist Rage

Last edited:
No sir. Has to be the EPA registered engine rating for OPT coverage.
Had to take a 625 back to 550 a few weeks back to enroll it for coverage.

Hardware only and you would have to know the failure to get that covered.

Monkey Fist Rage

Good call man. didn't think the EPA angle. but Cat Cert Rebuild warranty would cover parts with labour, just not whole package right?

Good call man. didn't think the EPA angle. but Cat Cert Rebuild warranty would cover parts with labour, just not whole package right?

Si.

I can get around the warranty downloads but not the mileage. Still schemeing

If I can remember, I will upload the OPT enrollment sheet for you all to see. You would essentially get 1 year parts, in our case 90 days workmanship, and labor on the failed part within that year. OPT is three years P&L and then add a turbo or ? For the fourth year of enrollment.
So about $2000 in parts gets you the fourth year.
Has to have warranty downloads showing that it is rated in its engine family each time it shows up for warranty. (doesn't have to run that way)

Monkey Fist Rage

Last edited:

I was thinking about this in the way to work. I have been told more than once that the rods are the only parts reused. Is that what you mean by "used"?

Monkey Fist Rage

Haha yea I bought the parts to build one just have to go pick them up. All the parts are the same except pistons, liners and crank. Head/block/rods are the same as C15. Mine is an Acert, so I'm using an MXS as a donor motor. No C18 injectors though, going to be a nasty street motor for a glider.

An expensive endeavor though, much more than just a typical C-15 rebuild, correct?

I heard $15,000 for a C-18 crank, any truth to that?

I was thinking about this in the way to work. I have been told more than once that the rods are the only parts reused. Is that what you mean by "used"?

Monkey Fist Rage

That's what they claim but its routine to get used pistons in a gold kit. 3 will be shiny like a new nickel and 3 will be media blasted and the skirts will have scratches. New my a$$

Back