4bt big power?

msgrapes

My boss has this 4bt that we pulled out of a dole delivery van that he wants to try to put in a 5.0 he has. Just wanting some ideas on making as much power as it can. Its all apart now so if anyone has tips on anything, boreing, stroking, cam work, pump modifying or whatever guys are doing to make good numbers.

It's all the same as building a 6B, just two less cylinders. Give us an idea on your power goals.

I have a 4.5 CR , its the exact same as a 6.7 with 2 less cylinders . I am confident it will make 600 hp if I every get time to finnish it . we are using a ECD 16 computer.
I grind a lot of cams for these , and have billet steel cams avalable if you need one

Is it a p-pump or VE pump? You can make anywhere from 200 to 1200 hp at the crank depending on your cash flow.

With the four cylinders the CR advantage is even more magnified, the ability to smooth out the already erratic out of balance engine. Even a stock CP3 pump is more than enough to feed the engine thru any build

Here are some cool pictures that Greg at zzcustomfabrication.com built for a triple project

4bt_project08_07.gif

4bt_project08_10.gif

4bt_project08_11.gif

they have a 4.5 CR huh? I haven't seen anything about them what do they come in?

gen set , and marine .

they dont make the p pump version anymore

With the four cylinders the CR advantage is even more magnified, the ability to smooth out the already erratic out of balance engine. Even a stock CP3 pump is more than enough to feed the engine thru any build

Here are some cool pictures that Greg at zzcustomfabrication.com built for a triple project

4bt_project08_07.gif

4bt_project08_10.gif

4bt_project08_11.gif

Is that on the road yet Greg? It's been awhile since I've heard/seen anymore on that project. Just curious if the rubber has hit the asphalt with that thing powering anything yet.

Not sure , JQmiles might know more , its long gone from the shop.

that was a absolute work of art , Greg really did a great job on it .
The 4.5 is a 4 valve CR engine with the same bore and stroke as a 6.7
I acquired a pair of engines, and still not sure where, I’m going to use them. , We are putting together a possible program with a Lakester, to run diesels in streamliner. There are a lot of soft classes at Bonneville to tighten up . looking at a TDI 2.0 3.0 and 5.0 , alone with a small engine around 1.2 liter

It has the VE pump. 500 to 600hp would be awsome but really dont want to put a fortune into it. That cr is nice!

What is everyone getting out of the rotary pumps say with a fuel pin and some 5 x .012"?

What is everyone getting out of the rotary pumps say with a fuel pin and some 5 x .012"?

Roughly 210- 220rwhp with an HE341.

I agree the 4bt can make some good power, alot more than most would expect from a little(only about 800 pounds LOL) 4 cylinder diesel.

The common rail 4bt is cool but as far as I know they are all rear gear train, which means everythind is driven from the rear of the engine adding several inches to its length (almost like a 6 cylinders length).

If you want big power with these things you need to definately go twins.

Roughly 210- 220rwhp with an HE341.

I agree the 4bt can make some good power, alot more than most would expect from a little(only about 800 pounds LOL) 4 cylinder diesel.

The common rail 4bt is cool but as far as I know they are all rear gear train, which means everythind is driven from the rear of the engine adding several inches to its length (almost like a 6 cylinders length).

If you want big power with these things you need to definately go twins.

800 lbs?? That is about what a 12v weighs.. Have you weighed a 4bt? Cant you run a HX-35, I am not familiar with the HE341?

convert it to a 4 plunger p pump i think its called the p3100? hard to find but they make power so much easyer

500 to 600 hp with a VE pump takes some doing with a rotary pump 6bt! Find a p-pump.

Hmmm..... Ok if we can make 500hp-600hp on a very very tweaked VE filling six plungers, Do the math and figure how much easier it would be to make that much not filling the other two plungers. Dynamic time would be nice to spool big chargers!!! I so need to find a 4bt and prove some points I have. I have no doubt you can make big power on a p-pump, but really i think you could make a lot of GOOD power with a 4cyl VE-Pump.

I'm interested in the CR 4bt...that would be sweet.

I started a 4bt project a couple years back that got sidelined on me. I was trying to get some info out of the guys at 4btswaps but most of them actually got pissed off if anyone acted like 150hp wasn't just the best damn thing since sliced bread and actually wanted more, like double or more, lol.

I had to move and I'm building myself a new barn right now so I'll have somewhere to work out of again, but I can't wait to finish that project.

I'm thinking 2 to 300hp is all I'll need for my chassis considering the weight. I'm going to follow this thread and see what kind of experience you guys have on nozzle and pump options.

Mine's the VE as well.

Here's the chassis I fabbed up to house the engine (wheelbase identical to JD Gator)...

2688644660082519711S600x600Q85.jpg

Should be somewhat fun to drive I think. It's got a Turbo 400 on it now that I plan to keep.

The 4B's are good times.

Now you guys toss out some good nozzle and pump options.

Back