4WD or Slicks?

travis00

Im having traction issues at the track and am wondering would i be better off putting tierod sleeves on my truck and running in 4wd or just getting a pair of slicks? How hard is it on the truck to run in 4wd, seems like the cv's would be the weak link.

Your CV's will be the weak link for sure I would run just a set of slick in the rear of your truck unless you are wanting to upgrade the front end then I would run four drag radials. Like a M and H Racemaster

We have gone mid 11's on bfg in 4x4 with no cv problems,but we did have sleeves and centerlink on.

We have also ran cheater slicks in 4x4 as well.

I ran many passes in a lifted crew cab 4x4. I launched in 4x4 and never had a problem. Just lower your torsion bars. I believe I loosened them 7 or 8 turns when I got to the track. Then I raised it before leaving. Just mark them so you know exactly where you started and where to return them. It ran 13.7's on 35's and 14.1 on 39's from 2003-2005.

Your CV's will be the weak link for sure I would run just a set of slick in the rear of your truck unless you are wanting to upgrade the front end then I would run four drag radials. Like a M and H Racemaster

how tall slick should i be running i dont see much over 26" in a 16" rim other than cheater slicks. i found some 30" cheater slicks. 26" too small?

$100 sleeves and run in 4wd. You have to carry the weight of 4x4 anyway, just use it.

We have gone mid 11's on bfg in 4x4 with no cv problems,but we did have sleeves and centerlink on.

We have also ran cheater slicks in 4x4 as well.
jef dean (stingpuller) 10.47 @131.XX mph with 1.63 60' white rclb sleaves braces centerlink maybe. full slicks
YouTube - 2009 NHRDA Ohio Truck Rally Diesel Drag Race

heres a 10.76 @127 rob hall(rhall) still running sleaves, braces might have the center link.. radial slicks iirc
YouTube - St. Joseph Diesel Twins 10.76 on fuel only

mat handwork(camomax) against greg (dockboy) mat ran 11.02@121.84 cuttign 1.5X 60s sleaves and braces on dot slicks
YouTube - Camomax 11.02 @ 121.84 2009 NHRDA Diesel Drag Race

trentnell is running low 1.5X 60' are low 11s with sleaves braces stock center link.

spend the 100 for sleaves 200 for braces and you will be very happy

jef dean (stingpuller) 10.47 @131.XX mph with 1.63 60' white rclb sleaves braces centerlink maybe. full slicks
YouTube - 2009 NHRDA Ohio Truck Rally Diesel Drag Race

heres a 10.76 @127 rob hall(rhall) still running sleaves, braces might have the center link.. radial slicks iirc
YouTube - St. Joseph Diesel Twins 10.76 on fuel only

mat handwork(camomax) against greg (dockboy) mat ran 11.02@121.84 cuttign 1.5X 60s sleaves and braces on dot slicks
YouTube - Camomax 11.02 @ 121.84 2009 NHRDA Diesel Drag Race

trentnell is running low 1.5X 60' are low 11s with sleaves braces stock center link.

spend the 100 for sleaves 200 for braces and you will be very happy

t-case brace?

Last edited:
t-case brace?

AFAIK all of them have them... if the t-case rolls up it WILL take the tailshaft houseing of the tranny with it.. iirc is ~500 the the tail shaft piece form GM

the only person i know that has blown a t-case drag raceing is Mcrat 2 years ago after who know how many drag pass it took to streatch the chain. and he was running high 10s at the tim as well

depednign on how serious you plan on getting into drag racing..

bassic to mid level gues just pull the t/b bolts all the way out.
claped rear springs front rear. billietstin/rancho shocks

the next level pullign leafs out of hte rear spring pack. single/doubl adjustable shocks inthe front (QA1 they are not cheap single adjust are ~190 each double are ~300each) heard of a couple people think about putting them on the front to help control front end rise out of the hole in sled pulling

jeff dean is running full blown coil-overs in the front dont know what for hte rear...

We took 2 springs out of the back, put QA1's on the front, left the Bilisteins on the back, Moog tie rods with SD leaves, Big centerlink. Lowered the front all the way down...

Seems to hook nicely. We were running low 1.5"s in the 60'

Tim

We took 2 springs out of the back, put QA1's on the front, left the Bilisteins on the back, Moog tie rods with SD leaves, Big centerlink. Lowered the front all the way down...

Seems to hook nicely. We were running low 1.5"s in the 60'

Tim

What truck is it? Got any pics or vids?

I'd vote... 4wd & slicks. We ran 1.3x 60' times 3 years ago with SuperDiesel tie rod sleeves and dropped torshion bars on M&H dot cheater slicks. Stock rear suspension with RS 9000 shocks on all 4 corners set on kill. After going to the coil overs in the front to cut some weight my 60' times are still consistent.

Good luck.

I'd vote... 4wd & slicks. We ran 1.3x 60' times 3 years ago with SuperDiesel tie rod sleeves and dropped torshion bars on M&H dot cheater slicks. Stock rear suspension with RS 9000 shocks on all 4 corners set on kill. After going to the coil overs in the front to cut some weight my 60' times are still consistent.

Good luck.

Damn Buck, don't see you post too often, not to hijack the thread, but are you and Jess having an event this year, and if so any date in mind? We are coming back for TS and Indy, would love to attend your event if it's not too much later than those events, possible conflict might be Billings. Let us know.

Back on topic, if you have a 4x4 use it. You are packing all that weight anyway. Sleeves, braces, spring clamps and adjustable shocks, good drag radials. Take off as much weight as you can, and go for it. All of this is assuming you have beefed up your tranny.

$100 sleeves and run in 4wd. You have to carry the weight of 4x4 anyway, just use it.

Agreed. Lower the torsion bars, but leave a 1/4" of preload on the pass side bar.

4wd and drag radials is a common combination at the track.

OK you are going to have to help me, do you go by a different screen name, I want to add your great pass to the quick 50 list, but I want to make sure you are not double entered. Nice pass by the way.

Ken, that is Rob Hall's truck which is already on the list.

There is a guy in MT that runs a big 4x4 in 2x4 with some huge slicks. He went through some axles, but now seems to get it launching well. 11 sec truck and it is a tank. See the photo.

I'd opt for 4x4 with sleeves, along with what ever street tires are on the truck. My street truck cuts low 1.7's on mud tires. Practice at this level until you get the truck launching well, then start adding the other gear.

I've never run a T-case brace. Somewhere in the 800-1000 1/4 4x4 launches in a Dmax and I've never needed one.

Last edited:
Back