4WD or Slicks?

There is a guy in MT that runs a big 4x4 in 2x4 with some huge slicks. He went through some axles, but now seems to get it launching well. 11 sec truck and it is a tank. See the photo.

That's Mark Ventling if anyone is interested. Really nice guy and one of G&J's customers (we sometimes pit together at the track).

Regards,
Michael Pliska

Has he done back to back testing between 2wd on slicks and 4x4 launches?? I have my own theories on that but never knew anyone to try it...

That's Mark Ventling if anyone is interested. Really nice guy and one of G&J's customers (we sometimes pit together at the track).

Regards,
Michael Pliska

yeah me and a few buddys stayed with g&j at the 2008 diesel on the mountain. everybody on the team is really nice. Thanks for all the input guys, think im gonna go 4wd and sleeves. putting a tranny in the truck right now.

Last edited:
OK you are going to have to help me, do you go by a different screen name, I want to add your great pass to the quick 50 list, but I want to make sure you are not double entered. Nice pass by the way.

Sorry about that. This is Tim Hecker from St. Joseph Diesel

The truck is owned and ran by Rob Hall. We built that truck together at St. Joseph Diesel.

Ken, that is Rob Hall's truck which is already on the list.

There is a guy in MT that runs a big 4x4 in 2x4 with some huge slicks. He went through some axles, but now seems to get it launching well. 11 sec truck and it is a tank. See the photo.

I'd opt for 4x4 with sleeves, along with what ever street tires are on the truck. My street truck cuts low 1.7's on mud tires. Practice at this level until you get the truck launching well, then start adding the other gear.

I've never run a T-case brace. Somewhere in the 800-1000 1/4 4x4 launches in a Dmax and I've never needed one.

Thanks for clearing that up Rob.

Back