5.9 to a 6.7?

brushpuller

Thinkin...
So what is all involved in putting the 6.7's crank, rod's and pistion's in a 5.9 block? Any one messed around with this yet?

Just use a 6.7 long or short block and change the rods to older 5.9 rods.

i was talking to zstroken about this isn't there an issue that if you swap the 5.9 head onto a 6.7 short block that you are going to cover up some ports on the block? pulling it might not be a problem but everyday driving could be an issue. i'm looking at doing this soon with billet rods and ceramic coated pistons

What about all the electronic BS on the trucks...will it all interchange with the 6.7 short block?

I talked to a good friend of mine and he told me that the valvetrain gears are straight cut and not helical, so becarefull with what year motor you are doing a swap into.

'89 - '02 all have helical gears. I'm not sure on the '03+'s. I haven't been into them much yet.

6.7's are straight cut.

Merrick

guys are running the 03-06 electronics with their injectors and 03 tips with the 6.7 long block.

I talked to a good friend of mine and he told me that the valvetrain gears are straight cut and not helical, so becarefull with what year motor you are doing a swap into.

'89 - '02 all have helical gears. I'm not sure on the '03+'s. I haven't been into them much yet.

6.7's are straight cut.

Merrick

03-05 are all straight cut. crank/cam/oil pump/cp3

From what I've been told all you need to do is change the crank gear to make it work on the Pre-CR trucks, otherwise it bolts in, but, that's only hearsay.
Well, hearsay from the forums from a long thread on cf.com about a 5.9 stroker or whatever that got totally off track concerning piston speeds, and daily driving, LOL.

Merrick

I dont know who all is running one, but i know im am planning one with a fully ported head and 13 MM CDS pump ,GT42R Magnum for next season.

I guess the guys over at beans diesel say that everything major is the same between the 2 engines. I was lookin at putting a 6.7 head on my truck and from what I have been told it will work. the only difference being the injector lines into the head, I guess their larger fuel inserts in the 6.7 but the lines from the rail will still connect to them. All the coolant passages are the same as well from what im told. Not sure? I would like to hear more on the subject.

The 6.7 has steam holes in the head i assume to move the coolant around the Siamese walls.

Attachments

• 6.7 block (Medium).jpg
    6.7 block (Medium).jpg
    34.5 KB · Views: 66
  • 6.7 head holes (Medium).jpg
    6.7 head holes (Medium).jpg
    54.8 KB · Views: 61
Can you run the programming from a 04-07 5.9 with a 6.7 short block? Isn't the injector timing going to be all messed up? Also i didnt think you could bore a 5.9 to the larger bore and make it say together, especially w/o filling the block?

probably to help combat heat due to regens. idk. wouldnt hurt if they were plugged off by installing that head on a 5.9 block i wouldnt think.

Can you run the programming from a 04-07 5.9 with a 6.7 short block? Isn't the injector timing going to be all messed up?

yes you can run the programming from a 04-07 5.9 with the 6.7 block the rotation of the engine is the same the speed of the 5.9 piston is faster than that of the 6.7. due to the way a crank is set up the acceleration of the piston is almost exactly the same at a few degrees before and below top dead center and bottom dead center.

Back