5 blade mafia

Str8_Addiction

Looking into a set of compounds and wanted a couple opinions. Looking into stainless diesels 5 blade compound kit. Here's where I'm looking for opinions, the secondary turbo. Kit comes with a 63/68/t-3 .80 gated. The other options I'm looking into, all 5 blade models, is the 63/74/t-3 .80 gated, 66/74/t-3 .80 gated, 63/74/t-4 .91 non-gated and the 66/74/t-4 non-gated. Truck is driven on the weekends and whenever I get the chance. It's a toy. Will be in the 1-1100hp range. Never going to have nitrous. I'm looking for the best spool along with the best overall power range. The t3 along with a 68 wheel I feel will limit me on the high end.

So, why 5 blade turbos? I've always been under the impression that while lower blade count will generally flow more at peak, they have a much narrower map. Do they have some sort of literature, or better yet, maps, for these wheels? Or is this the new batmowheel?

No maps that I am aware of. I would really hope it's not the next batmowheel either. That would suck. I know of a few guys running them and really like them. I'm not opposed to box turbos either. The turbo I'm running now is a box turbo. I guess I was more interested in the opinions on the t foot size, turbine wheel size and gated vs non gated.

More blades will bring boost on quicker but as shaft speed picks up it becomes less efficient due to the low pressure spot behind each blade not allowing the blade trailing it to grab as much air. Less blades will come on slower but since there's more time for air to fill the low pressure spot behind a given blade the next blade can grab a larger amount of air.

Honestly without $60,000 computation fluid dynamics software or back to back dyno testing, we're just guessing as to how these wheels work.

One of the most obvious things that has to follow the laws of physics is that with 5 blades, the wheel can be lighter. Thus less mass = less inertia = higher peak rpm = higher flow.

One of the most obvious things that has to follow the laws of physics is that with 5 blades, the wheel can be lighter. Thus less mass = less inertia = higher peak rpm = higher flow.

Peak rpm is limited by centrifugal forces, not mass.

Right, does mass not have an effect on centrifugal force? More mass=more force, no?

You are correct. Larger turbos have a lower burst threshold for that reason. Really it comes down to tip speed and where the mass is in relation to the hub. Tip speed increases the further out from the hub. I am no aerodynamisist, but I think 5 blades would have more "swallowing capacity"............that's what she said :)

Looking into a set of compounds and wanted a couple opinions. Looking into stainless diesels 5 blade compound kit. Here's where I'm looking for opinions, the secondary turbo. Kit comes with a 63/68/t-3 .80 gated. The other options I'm looking into, all 5 blade models, is the 63/74/t-3 .80 gated, 66/74/t-3 .80 gated, 63/74/t-4 .91 non-gated and the 66/74/t-4 non-gated. Truck is driven on the weekends and whenever I get the chance. It's a toy. Will be in the 1-1100hp range. Never going to have nitrous. I'm looking for the best spool along with the best overall power range. The t3 along with a 68 wheel I feel will limit me on the high end.

1) I won't buy into batmo, mafia, or any other chargers with names attached to them. All that means is you got less than you payed for.

2) all those possible choices will limit you on the "high end"

3) you will be capable of equal power with box turbos at a fraction of the price of turbos from companies that advertise heavily.

Honestly without $60,000 computation fluid dynamics software or back to back dyno testing, we're just guessing as to how these wheels work.

The thing is that a lot of these ideas have already been discussed, tested, and proven. We don't need to buy $60,000 software.

1) I won't buy into batmo, mafia, or any other chargers with names attached to them. All that means is you got less than you payed for.

2) all those possible choices will limit you on the "high end"

3) you will be capable of equal power with box turbos at a fraction of the price of turbos from companies that advertise heavily.

I really don't believe stainless diesel is going to come out with a sub-par product such as the batmowheel has come to be. That being said I am no turbo expert or turbo builder. I'm really looking for opinions on secondary turbos sizes. 5 blade or box turbos.

I really don't believe stainless diesel is going to come out with a sub-par product such as the batmowheel has come to be. That being said I am no turbo expert or turbo builder. I'm really looking for opinions on secondary turbos sizes. 5 blade or box turbos.

A set of box turbos will easily get you to your hp goals, spool very well, and cost you less than the stainless 5 blade turbos. As to specifically which ones to use, well there's countless options out there. I'm sure someone on here can chime in with a quick spooling 1k hp combination.

Garrett produced the BR74 and TR30R which were both in the 5+5 blade configuration, these dated back to the mid 90's, however they were used on restricted inlet classes with substantially smaller dimensions. Gale Banks also tested the TR30R on both variations of their Sidewinder Duramax.

Turbo3.jpg

The thing is that a lot of these ideas have already been discussed, tested, and proven. We don't need to buy $60,000 software.

No but it certainly takes a lot of time, prototyping, and at least a dyno if you wanna go trial and error route. Otherwise you're selling shiny parts on empty promises.....not like people have done that before have they

Back