5 spd. and big single. Fastest?

You aren't going to get down the track very fast with an FE.. You need a lot of power to make the 5 speeds quick, and you'll blow right through that clutch. And only running 1/8? I don't think you could have a worse truck for drag racing the 1/8. Lemme know how that clutch like's 3rd gear launches.

You aren't going to get down the track very fast with an FE.. You need a lot of power to make the 5 speeds quick, and you'll blow right through that clutch. And only running 1/8? I don't think you could have a worse truck for drag racing the 1/8. Lemme know how that clutch like's 3rd gear launches.

I dont do 3rd gear launches dude. I can already tell you how it would hold up without even trying it. Not a chance it would take that kind of abuse.

Plan on saving for a new trans.

Been there done that. After 3 quality rebuilds and tearing 3rd gear out of everyone, I now have a full billet 47rh I swapped in the truck.

BTW, I was running a Silver64 (64/74/14), spooled like crap, smoked like a freight train until boost built and was a lazy PIG on the street, BUT it pulled like a SOB on the highway.

why does 3rd gear go out so often?

I dont do 3rd gear launches dude. I can already tell you how it would hold up without even trying it. Not a chance it would take that kind of abuse.

Well I just say that because that seems to be the only way that people get good times..

i launch in 3rd gear at about 2000 rpm. I have a single disc also, you can slip it, but man does it feel weird. so when its time to go let the clutch out until it starts to grab and you start moving and roll into the throttle/off the cltuch.

is it the fastest method, no, but it sure beats that 2-3 shift.

but like i said..... a 5 speed in these trucks is NOT made to drag.

the good part about 1/8 mile is you might be able to trap in 3rd too.

so youll have a great 1/8 time and ****ty 1/4 time

Yeah try launching in 3rd with an fe! You will be pulling that thing IF you make it home! FE doesn't like to slip, it will put chunks of ferramic on the flywheel, worse if you're not lucky!

I spun my old FE playing in the mud in 4th.. It really didn't like it. Peter will tell you not to slip it. The FE is about the only clutch that isn't forgiving.

i dont know what an FE is, like i said I run a valair, and i do slip it, often enough, but i wouldnt recommend it.

i dont know what an FE is, like i said I run a valair, and i do slip it, often enough, but i wouldnt recommend it.

Neither do i on a single, It will eventually fail and i dont care who's single it is. and dont worry when you bite the bullet and upgrade to dual dual disc and or triple like mine, hold on, you just thought clutches were expensive, i have bought several transmisions (6), 1 transfercase and a dana 80 all this year. once you fix one thing the next weakest link will break.

True i do sled pull, but i shattered the trans in 3rd my one time i tried drag racing. LOL

I take off in 2nd, always have. 3rd is too tall for my power band.
I would suggest launching in 2nd, heel toe the break and ride the clutch just enough to take the slack out of the drivetrain, then drop the clutch quickly. It will spin, but it will get off the line pretty quick. Don't go with anything bigger than a 64. You need it to spool very fast and you don't have the rpms to make a 66 perky.

3rd is the weakest. Plus thats the one that gets shock loaded the most when you slam it home.

I'm done with singles, I had that ceramic in for 800 miles. I was very upset when I called up texas the next morning, but Dan worked through it with me and calmed me down quite a bit.

My truck can slip the FE in 3rd gear with only 1500 rpm if I try to take off from a dead stop. It only took one mild mild test launch like that to learn that no way in H&LL will a single disk clutch hold up to a 3800 rpm 4x4 launch at the track.

2nd gear launch is plenty tall for a good 60' time, the only problem is that you'll be coasting past the 60' timer as your trying to grind it into 3rd gear and end up with a poor 330' time. Once in 3rd, you're golden as any idiot can perform a no lift shift from 3rd to 4th on a 5 speed. I still use the clutch on the 3-4 shift but don't lift the accelerator and just let the motor bounce off the rev limiter/defuel around 3900 rpm. Gives you a nice hit when you release the clutch in fourth as boost stays built for the most part and 3900 rpm is a lot of stored kinetic energy in the motor.

My small turbo'd truck hits 9.22 in the 1/8th at 78mph. The only way I could conceive making it quicker with it's currently half burned up 3rd gear synchros is to run small stock 245 tires with a double disk clutch and launch in 3rd gear. Heck maybe run 4.10 gears and stock 245/75/16 tires and you could probably launch ok in 3rd!

as long as you can pull the 1/4 home in 4th you have a shot of a decent time. 4-5 shift is slow as slow can be.

I know its hell on parts but I could always get me truck to leave the best by dumping the clutch in 2nd 4wd. As long as you can grab 3rd pretty quick you should be alright. I wouldnt go any bigger than a 62 turbo because you are gonna want a quick spool. Ive outrun lots of autos like this.

its not the manual trans that makes the truck slow, its the truck transmissions. You cant shift them fast enough and keep the greasy parts inside.

you need to swap to a dual disc.. run a 62 like 01Smoker said also.. and i will agree with ya Rollin Coal, these things are super slow! and dont like too much gear jamming LOL!

I agree on the dual disc. If you get a dual disc you can pull a 3rd gear boosted launch. Dont go too big on the tires though.

Back