6.4 cummins build

5.9 and 6.7 both have the same deck height. Decking the block comes from the stroke/rod/piston combination. Once you got done doing this, using typical 6.7 pistons, you would find the block still needs decked.

We will have custom pistons available soon that has a different wrist pin location. So decking the block wont be necessary anymore. But there is no harm in decking it. We havent had any failures to date(other than the one from injector failure).

The 5.9 doesnt have enough meat to go to a 6.7 bore. I wish they did, we would be sleeving them all. lol

We will have custom pistons available soon that has a different wrist pin location. So decking the block wont be necessary anymore. But there is no harm in decking it. We havent had any failures to date(other than the one from injector failure).

The 5.9 doesnt have enough meat to go to a 6.7 bore. I wish they did, we would be sleeving them all. lol

Is the cr block as strong as the Siamese block though?

I have been trying to find info on a different approach to making a 6.4, it may have been covered somewhere else but have yet to find it. So could a person take a 5.9l block and bore it out then use high grade sleeves to have it the same bore as a 6.7l bore, then a person wouldn't have to deck the deck a huge amount? That would still make it a 6.4L?

A 5.9 block will only have support left in the perimeter if bored big enough for a sleeve of that bore size so it will be a big open cavity under the top deck. The 6.7's have enough meat around the bigger bore that the cylinders connect all the way from the top deck to the bottom so it gives more options.

A 5.9 block will only have support left in the perimeter if bored big enough for a sleeve of that bore size so it will be a big open cavity under the top deck. The 6.7's have enough meat around the bigger bore that the cylinders connect all the way from the top deck to the bottom so it gives more options.

Exactly the answer I was looking for, Thank you. Was just thinking about it the other day if anyone knew or has tried, but with the replies it sounds like a complete no good.

Friend of mine is headed down this weekend to pick some good stuff up (6.4 related!) from you guys, can't wait to see the results!

For the guys that have milled the deck down, what have you done to the head studs? You cut the studs length down 70thou? Not sure if you guys have done this, as most of this thread discussion has been for CR engines.

I'm going to run a 12V head and wanted to run the stock valve covers? Just for stealth look.

With my CR, I didn't do anything to the studs. They just stick up more than usual but no clearance issues. On a 12v I have no idea if it'll clear the VC.

I measured my piston protrusion prior to decking(stock 6.7) at 72 thou down, running a 5.9L crank. I was thinking about going with 27 thou protrusion, stock compression ratio(will start without ether), with a 63 thou gasket (stock 6.7L gasket)

This is a legit part number for a 6.7L 4089453 piston, not sure yet if it will work. I bought a brand new cummins 07 5.9CR head, going to try that one first for a baseline prior to 12V head. I priced out that piston, I can't afford it, so I'm going with a stock bowl design 6.7L QSB piston 4934860 on this build.

Okay. I was wondering if someone had a forged piston out for 4.2 bore that maybe matched up to the injector placement on a 12v

The first piston number is an ag piston and its legit number. Last time I priced it out it was $400+ per piston, of course cummins pricing. If it works its suppose to be a 12v engine.

I really want to run the hellman intake on mine, it fits better on a CR head than a 12v head. I also want to run the keatin front cover and his frost plug fix kit. Still not sure if I'm going to drill the 5.9L head for the 6.7 coolant holes yet. Thinking about running two coolant lines off the back for extra cooling.

I'm just shootin for small ponies with this engine, around 800-1000rwhp.

The block has a gridle, main studs, VE 5.9L crank and 14mm head studs. Still on the fence for the second main piston squirters, might just go with the stock stuff. Have it all balanced up for 4800 rpm and has a fluid dampner.

The P7100 to CR injection lines dont leak as much as the VP stuff does and the 6.7CR cross tubes are bigger.

Back