6.7 do's and DONT'S

dangerous06

diesel tech
Seems putting in the 6.7 with 5.9 ecm and injectors is becoming popular!
I was gonna build a 6.4 but I got such a great deal on some Carrillo rods for the 6.7 that I decided to build a 6.7 instead! I got the rods Mahle Industrial pistons and rings a set of 03 Injectors BBI's! a Secret squirrel 66 turbo and a Hamilton cam with all the related parts! Now it's time to put it all together and was hoping some diesel guru's would share their knowledge with us minions!

I got the .020 off the connecting rod caps so oil can escape faster tip!
What else should I be doing? Let the knowledge flow...........

This by Smokem
0.010-0.012" piston to wall;

Top ring - 0.030-0.032"
2nd ring - 0.030-0.032"
Oil ring - 0.020-0.022"
I hope my rings aren't as bad as the guy in the other thread! I would like less soot in my oil can I go tighter on the second ring?

First off 5.9 and 6.7 rods are the same. No difference in length, or diameter of big/small end.

Industrial pistons and 143* injectors are a no go.

Last edited:
First off 5.9 and 6.7 rods are the same. No difference in length, or diameter of big/small end.

Industrial pistons and 143* injectors are a no go.

You get an A! BUT the 6.4 which is a 6.7 Block with a 5.9 crank needs a rod a bit longer BUT Carrillo makes them! Just a lot more than I can spend now!
The S366 has a T-4 foot and some secret sauce inside will handle up to
900hp! I was hoping to get some specs or inside parts upgrades not known to the common diesel dudes!

Only real don't I know of so far is not to bore it. Even a .020 cut reduces the strength like crazy. Otherwise I think we're on the same track. I can't remember if you said you were gonna get yours done before me. I wanna know how it goes if so.

625's seem like a DO BTW.

Total seal on at least one ring will help reduce soot without having to go too tight. I'm doing the 2nd ring as a total seal.

So is that a 366sxe with 1.0 housing?

Last edited:
Maybe....... NO waste gate!
I can't afford 625's 425's for now!
I did go .020 over I'll let you know how it holds up! I have a second 6.7 just in case it goes boom! I'm trying to get Les to write me a efi tune but he's like a ghost!

Those ptw and ring clearances are the same thing he told me for the wiseco forged Pistons, for cast you can go a little tighter on the ptw, I'd probably go .008 or so, may even go .006 like factory if you don't plan on a lot of heat or rpm.

Industrial pistons require late 5.9 injectors, not early. The 366 is what I have in my twins, spools awesome, but might be a little small for a single only.

I didn't even think about the BBI's. They will work fine with tuning adjustments. You can run an open bowl with any angle nozzle. Its the closed bowl that won't work well with the 124's.

Just to clarify, you're doing a .020+ 6.7 with 425's on a non-gated single? Thats not a very healthy sounding combination of parts for 1000hp worth of fuel. How much fuel are you gonna give it? The single 66 is very undersized.

My 6.7 build is stock bore, industrial pistons, billet rods, 124* 100%(150% down the road), LBZ and CR Sportsman with sxe 66/73/.91 or 1.0 with 84/96/1.32, and 1mm oversized valves, P&P w/ ZZ fab, mild cam, and 625's.

Last edited:
I'm shooting for 7 800 hp max. Started looking for 625's let me know if anybody has a hook up!
I have to stay single turbo due to CA smog have to make it look stock as much as possible!

Last edited:
625's pop up pretty regularly and seem to sell around $900. I haven't grabbed my set yet and I don't plan to till summer. Keep your eyes peeled in all the classified venues.

BTW I was saying the Industrial pistons will work fine with any injector as long as the tuner accounts for it. The industrial piston seems to be a benefit. If you have to buy new pistons anyway might as well make it the more versatile and theoretically stronger industrial. Also the top ring is a touch lower and has either a steel inlay or a anti friction coating around the ring land. I need to toss a magnet on it to see

At 700-800 would be fine with the sxe 73/.91 turbine. That SOB might wanna bark pretty good though. Only reason I'd think about skipping the 69 version...

Last edited:
EYE CANDY!
20151215_150513.jpg

20151215_150453.jpg

Last edited:
I would like to hear the sales pitch where a box S366 turbo with a drop-in compressor wheel will make 900hp...

That charger won't make 700hp on a 6.7
It just won't move enough exhaust your dp will be threw the roof without a gate. Put a gate on it and it would be a totally different story.

Back