6.7 swap, yay or nay?

'strokeThis_'07

Just like the title, should I swap a 6.7 into my 07 5.9? The 5.9 is torn apart with two melted pistons, and looks to need bored because of gouges in the #6 cylinder.

So I can either bore the 5.9 and put it back together, with a cam/springs and probably 12v rods and coated/beveled pistons and new 07 injectors. Or I can get a 6.7 and put in, maybe with a cam/springs, 12v rods and coated/beveled pistons and new 03 injectors. Everything else from the 5.9 will be used unless I run into something that won't work.

Whats to be gained going to a 6.7? Apparently more torque, and the obvious increase in displacement. I've been told I won't see much gain from the increased displacement unless I can spin it up.

For now, the trucks just got a Smarty TNT. Eventually, I'd like to do Wide Open triples, 200+ nozzles, dual pumps, TNT/R or SSR (or EFI if it comes out), etc. Trucks a daily driver, thus triples for driveability at 6-7k elevation. Down the line, it'll be 800+ on fuel.

If I would have had the extra cash I would have done it, they spool up larger turbos nicely.

If I would have had the extra cash I would have done it, they spool up larger turbos nicely.

I'll second this!!!

6.7 would have been the way I went too if I had known more about it back then...Seems like so many guys are doing this now..

6.7 will spool your charger(s) SO much better!!

DO IT!!!!!!!!!!!!1

Thats another reason I'm thinking about it. The 6.7 guys seem to say a 6.7 spools a 66 turbo comparable to a 5.9 spooling a 62. And at elevation, thats a huge factor. I doubt I have the pocket change for triples, so if that didn't happen, a 64/66 and 480 combo might be doable with the 6.7 and still streetable.

I ran a Silverbullet and it was completely undrivable. Granted it was stock injectors, but I don't know that injectors would have made it run how I want it

Nothing left to debate then!!!

It's Settled!!

You're Doing a 6.7!!!!!!!!!!!!!

lol

Think about it. 6.7L of air are being pushed every 2-3 rpms. That's a bit of air. Now the 5.9L only pushes.... 5.9L of air every 2-3 revs...

I say 6.7L.

Thats another reason I'm thinking about it. The 6.7 guys seem to say a 6.7 spools a 66 turbo comparable to a 5.9 spooling a 62. And at elevation, thats a huge factor. I doubt I have the pocket change for triples, so if that didn't happen, a 64/66 and 480 combo might be doable with the 6.7 and still streetable.

I ran a Silverbullet and it was completely undrivable. Granted it was stock injectors, but I don't know that injectors would have made it run how I want it

My silver bullet spools up just fine, injectors/cam/headwork.

go for it had the same plan for swapping a 6.7 into my 04.5 and just building the motor with 03 nozzles and a bunch of fun parts. just money got tight and had to sell the motor.

6.7 I would do. I can't wait to see how my 6.7 with a ported head joes intake manifold a cam and a medium size of twins 66/88 for my dd. I got suckers into giving my dad my 5.9 cummins engine cause he's letting me build my truck at his house.

Damn. Too bad it melted now. Spring woulda been better when I actually had some money. Gotta stick the 5.9 back in, atleast for now. Oh well...

I love mine although my next one will be a 6.7 with a 5.9l crankshaft and a 12v head similar to what RonA is doing.

I have a 181/210 cam, a ported head with a zz intake, a 66/68-12 top charger and an s480with a 1.32 on the bottom. Both have race covers, and a 45mm turbosmart gate machined into the t3 manifold. Truck spools QUICK even with a pretty tight convertor. THe main problem as I see it is back tire costs. The truck is so much more responsive than any 5.9l I have driven.

I don't see many negatives, although if you find just a block you might try to save some money and use the 5.9l crank. It will slow down your piston speed and it will still provide you with more surface area for the pressure to act on.

Although some might disagree, if you can find some good 6.7 injectors, I would use them. They seem to be super clean for me and I don't see near the failures that I have seen with the 5.9l injectors, even with hopped up cp3's, doubles and pressure boxes.
Also, the larger bore will give you the option of running larger valves. I know of some 12v headed 6.7l's running almost a 2 inch valve!

Good luck.

Zach

I love mine although my next one will be a 6.7 with a 5.9l crankshaft and a 12v head similar to what RonA is doing.

I have a 181/210 cam, a ported head with a zz intake, a 66/68-12 top charger and an s480with a 1.32 on the bottom. Both have race covers, and a 45mm turbosmart gate machined into the t3 manifold. Truck spools QUICK even with a pretty tight convertor. THe main problem as I see it is back tire costs. The truck is so much more responsive than any 5.9l I have driven.

I don't see many negatives, although if you find just a block you might try to save some money and use the 5.9l crank. It will slow down your piston speed and it will still provide you with more surface area for the pressure to act on.

Although some might disagree, if you can find some good 6.7 injectors, I would use them. They seem to be super clean for me and I don't see near the failures that I have seen with the 5.9l injectors, even with hopped up cp3's, doubles and pressure boxes.
Also, the larger bore will give you the option of running larger valves. I know of some 12v headed 6.7l's running almost a 2 inch valve!

Good luck.

Zach

That's what you told me. And it melted my ****ing motor. DO NOT run 6.7 injectors unless you have a standalone.

I thought there were some other issues with the meltdown?

A few other guys have toyed with those injectors, the electronics don't mesh. Not to mention he told me I didn't need to machine those hold downs....

Back