6.7 swap, yay or nay?

I love mine although my next one will be a 6.7 with a 5.9l crankshaft and a 12v head similar to what RonA is doing.

I have a 181/210 cam, a ported head with a zz intake, a 66/68-12 top charger and an s480with a 1.32 on the bottom. Both have race covers, and a 45mm turbosmart gate machined into the t3 manifold. Truck spools QUICK even with a pretty tight convertor. THe main problem as I see it is back tire costs. The truck is so much more responsive than any 5.9l I have driven.

I don't see many negatives, although if you find just a block you might try to save some money and use the 5.9l crank. It will slow down your piston speed and it will still provide you with more surface area for the pressure to act on.

Although some might disagree, if you can find some good 6.7 injectors, I would use them. They seem to be super clean for me and I don't see near the failures that I have seen with the 5.9l injectors, even with hopped up cp3's, doubles and pressure boxes.
Also, the larger bore will give you the option of running larger valves. I know of some 12v headed 6.7l's running almost a 2 inch valve!

Good luck.

Zach

Thanks Zach. I really hope I can do the 6.7 in the spring when I have some money. Until then, the basically stock 5.9 will have to do, with coated pistons, balanced, and hopefully your cam and springs...

That's what you told me. And it melted my ****ing motor. DO NOT run 6.7 injectors unless you have a standalone.

Yea man, your...um..."issue" we'll call it pretty much turned me off of 6.7 injectors. I'm not chancing it. You get it on the road yet?

Thanks Zach. I really hope I can do the 6.7 in the spring when I have some money. Until then, the basically stock 5.9 will have to do, with coated pistons, balanced, and hopefully your cam and springs...

Yea man, your...um..."issue" we'll call it pretty much turned me off of 6.7 injectors. I'm not chancing it. You get it on the road yet?

Yeah :D Just got the bugs worked out.

Don't want to split hairs at all. If you see me at an event, drive the truck look at the hold downs to make sure they weren't machined. They have worked flawlessly for almost 10,000 miles. I have put them in various year models, only modifying the protrusion of the nozzle. I don't understand what you would have gained in going to a standalone.

Looking more closely at your issue, did you have the injectors tested before installation?

Last edited:
A few other guys have toyed with those injectors, the electronics don't mesh. Not to mention he told me I didn't need to machine those hold downs....

The electronics work and the injectors will fire and run fine, i know we have talked about your meltdown before but i think there was more to it than just the injectors.

Common rails melt. It's what they were designed to do. It's like trying to design a rooster that moo's like a cow. Cool idea, but look at all the extra sh!t you have to put up with when all you need is an alarm clock.

Ron, as always, you have a nice way of putting things. And, are those buzzards in your avatar? What's up with that?

If there was mechanical injection that flowed more than a VE and had more control over timing advance/retard, I would be glad to get rid of the CR's forever. As it is they seem to run great for me as I have cherry picked the best of all the years. I have parts in my engine from 89-08.

Stainless, did you have the injectors tested? are you positive the sticks are what melted it down? I would like to look at that a little closer and see what really went wrong.

Zach

its my understanding that the 6.7 injectors use the same volt/amps that the 03-04.5 used which is different than the 05-07 injectors correct. Could this be part of the issue with using the 6.7 is that they were seeing the wrong voltage (if they were used with the 05-07 ECM)

I tried some 6.7 injs in a 6.7 engine but with a 05 ecm and they would not work right. They would white smoke and miss and was hard to start sometimes. After I pulled them back out sent them up to Exergy and they checked out fine, put 5.9 injs back in and ran like a champ. Not really sure why they acted like that but convinced me that they would not work with a 5.9 ecm.

6.7 injectors requirer a different voltage than the standard 5.9

one is a piezo style and one is a standard HP solonoid style.

What pistons are you guys using with a 5.9 crank in a 6.7 block? You cant use 6.7 pistons unless you want really really low compression. Would have to get a custom piston or deck the block down but I wouldnt deck a block that much.

6.7 injectors requirer a different voltage than the standard 5.9

one is a piezo style and one is a standard HP solonoid style.

Really dude, really?

And you expect people to believe you are smart enough to Innovate something? unbelieveable.

What pistons are you guys using with a 5.9 crank in a 6.7 block? You cant use 6.7 pistons unless you want really really low compression. Would have to get a custom piston or deck the block down but I wouldnt deck a block that much.

03-04 5.9 piston is a good place to start.

Really dude, really?

And you expect people to believe you are smart enough to Innovate something? unbelieveable.

So i got the latest d-max injector mixed up...there piezo (2011) I make mistakes too.

Whats unbelivable is that you keep asking these silly questions, and your supposed to be selling a 6.7 and 5.9 stand alone ECM's and dont have a clue about either one........LOL

What silly question did you see.. Question I asked was what piston are you going to use, seems like a pretty good question to me.

Not really sure why they acted like that but convinced me that they would not work with a 5.9 ecm.

What silly question did you see.. Question I asked was what piston are you going to use, seems like a pretty good question to me.

Bean your a trip!:hehe:
Questions, statements, same deal it's all relevant. You SHOULD know the answer. Zues salesman= used car salesman.....:lolly:

Back