6 point cage vs. 8 vs 10?

CREED1

Throwed Off
We'll guys I didnt want to derail someone else's thread and didnt find what I was looking for in search so here we are.

This past weekend at Bash on the Bayou we ironed out some bugs and the truck was working well finally!! Ended up making 2 passes over 135mph trap speed and told to park it..

Currently the truck has a 6 point cage in it which to my understanding is good up too 10.0 and slower or 135mph and slower..

I know most 8.5 cert cages are 10 point and is more than likely what I need however if I go that route I believe the bars that tie into the front clip through the firewall will end up causing me more fabrication/modification to turbo piping etc..

What are the options on 8 point cages will they certify to 8.50 or am I pretty well stuck with having to go the 10 point route.. I know not to skimp on safety and believe me that is not what I am trying to do however I only have until april 11 to get the cage modified, certified and make my licensing passes. I would like to be able to run the truck all the way down the track at Texas diesel nationals and not play the get on the brakes at 1000' game just to stay legal.

Pics are welcomed!!!

Actually no need to get in the brakes. MPH drops pretty fast just lifting brakes are for bigger drops in ET. If worst come to worst run her out to the 1000' and just lift should be able to keep it under the 135 mark.

Best case scenario is Mike gets you hooked up and you get your lic done.

You do not need bars going through the firewall for an 8.50 legal cage

Talking with the chassis guy this morning he said the same thing.. Trying to decipher that nhra rule book is nightmare luckily this guy has done a few cages and sounds like he gets what I'm looking for cage will be modified first of next week..

You'll have to check, but my 8.50 cage has been NHRA inspected 3 times.

I have a:

Main Hoop to frame, 4 places.
2 back bars to frame
Front Hoop to frame
Firewall bar to front hoop
Cross bars and rocker bars to connect hoops
Driver and passenger door bars
Harness bar for 5-pt

It has 8 connection points to the frame. Mitch who does my cage work has had his stuff crash at 200++ mph and the driver walks away. Hot Rod Magazine uses him.

You'll have to check, but my 8.50 cage has been NHRA inspected 3 times.

I have a:

Main Hoop to frame, 4 places.
2 back bars to frame
Front Hoop to frame
Firewall bar to front hoop
Cross bars and rocker bars to connect hoops
Driver and passenger door bars
Harness bar for 5-pt

It has 8 connection points to the frame. Mitch who does my cage work has had his stuff crash at 200++ mph and the driver walks away. Hot Rod Magazine uses him.

Holy crap been awhile since I've seen you on here glad to have ya back with us! Any chance we will be seeing y'all out and about racing this year?

My favorite track is HRP. Hope we run it this year again.

Take some pics of the cage when its done I'm curious how it'll look. Can you have front hoops coming through the firewall to the frame? I think it'd be damn tight on the passenger side with twins.

Take some pics of the cage when its done I'm curious how it'll look. Can you have front hoops coming through the firewall to the frame? I think it'd be damn tight on the passenger side with twins.

Yes alot of stuff would have to be refabricated on both sides of the engine if we did engine bay bars.. Ill have a better idea of what bars will be added friday taking it over to cage builder and gonna get a game plan together.. Making some of my licensing passes friday night and dropping it back off for install monday morning.. Pics will be posted

An 8.50 cert doesn't require the engine bay bars. They help to stabilize chassis torsional forces, but aren't required to pass cert. See the NHRA rule book, Section 20, page 26 for the required drawing.

An 8.50 cert doesn't require the engine bay bars. They help to stabilize chassis torsional forces, but aren't required to pass cert. See the NHRA rule book, Section 20, page 26 for the required drawing.

Thanks joe any chance you would have pics of the cage you just did in will jone's old truck? Just left the chassis shop he wasn't sure if a dash bar was required for 8.50 cert an the tech guy for this area is out of town couldn't get ahold of him to ask..

Price seemed reasonable has to cut out door bars to attach new ones to front down bars adding swing outs both sides, window net, and cert. fee $1210 out the door mild steel.. Woulda liked to do chromoly but with whats already there didn't think would make much use having a 50/50 cage..

Price seemed reasonable has to cut out door bars to attach new ones to front down bars adding swing outs both sides, window net, and cert. fee $1210 out the door mild steel.. Woulda liked to do chromoly but with whats already there didn't think would make much use having a 50/50 cage..

Trying to win cage money at l'auberge this morning?

sent using flatbillmagic

Ya that **** never goes as planned I did however win one awesome hangover for the ride home lol..

We didn't get there til 11pm figured you were probably already in bed fondling yourself or somethin lol..

Well **** ill be sure hit ya up next time I'm sure wont be too far off from now.

Back