99 FL60 mutt/conversion/repower project build

Regulated return line.. I understand the principle..
Is there a specific type regulator or just plumbing a standard pressure regulator differently?

Regulated return line.. I understand the principle..
Is there a specific type regulator or just plumbing a standard pressure regulator differently?

You'll need a fuel pressure type regulator to be able to get the pressure up to 30-35psi...other than that, instead of putting the regulator before the pump, you put it after the injection pump so that all fuel has to go through the pump before being directed to the return line.

Chris

So most regulators work
Lift pump- unregulated line pressure- regulator - regulated line pressure then what ever goes here..

If the regulated line never builds pressure the regulator goes wide open trying to build pressure

What you're talking about I associate with a relief valve.
Which regulates line pressure between pump and said relief valve.

Afaik..you can't replumb a regulator to act as a relief valve

I used an aeromotive regulator with a 1:1 boost reference, at idle it was around 25 PSI, at 20 lbs of boost it was 45, etc. My FASS was regulated to 60 PSI, so it would never go above that(with line losses I was actually seeing about 50 PSI at the injection pump)

So the regulator worked like a relief valve dumping extra fuel to return. It would maintain 25 psi at idle and with boost would climb.

So most regulators work
Lift pump- unregulated line pressure- regulator - regulated line pressure then what ever goes here..

If the regulated line never builds pressure the regulator goes wide open trying to build pressure

What you're talking about I associate with a relief valve.
Which regulates line pressure between pump and said relief valve.

Afaik..you can't replumb a regulator to act as a relief valve

So what is the difference between a regulator and relief valve?

Chris

So what is the difference between a regulator and relief valve?

Chris
The basics..

Relief valve
A relief valve or pressure relief valve (PRV) is a type of safety valve used to control or limit the pressure in a system; pressure might otherwise build up and create a process upset, instrument or equipment failure, or fire.

Regulators
A pressure regulator is a control valve that reduces the input pressure of a fluid to a desired value at its output.

The return line banjo has a relief valve built into it.

OK, now that we have the terminology correct...

Either does the job in this case...there's no need of redesigning a fuel pressure regulator to do this, as it's been done hundreds of times. The overflow valve does work as well, but if you are worried about fuel delivery then I've always gone away from the simple overflow in favor of a higher flow regulator that can handle lots of extra pump.

However, on all my tow rigs I've always ran the mechanical pump with a shimmed overflow valve.
Chris

Parker had 14mm to 3/8" Barb banjos, took care of pump return for now.

Stock pump has 1/4" npt inlet.. and not something Common type outlet... resemble power steering oring setup...

Seams like all the fuel Supply lines are 1/4-5/16ID.. Seams small.. or maybe I'm just used to GM using 1/2" supply and 3/8" return lines for stock application

Looks like it's going to be Christmas Friday, injectors, clutch, fittings/adapters all supposed to get delivered.

Making progress.. got alot of stuff arriving tomorrow, got the air compressor bracket replaced, studs removed turbo needs 1" spacer, so comp housing can clear the exhaust manifold. Completely redoing fuel supply system an -8/-6 lines, duplicating filter setup on.my lmm with 24770 bases and bf7587/bf1259 filters, looking hard at a fuel lab 40401, p7100 needs ~30-35psi, replacing the over flow valve with one from tool tech.
Redoing air compressor cooling lines with push lock hose, new oil supply line, the air supply I'm not sure yet, but it's rusted steel line too..
Got 5*.014 injectors coming,
s362sxe turbo is already here as fixed waste gated actuator set at 38psi, thinking about swapping for the adjustable on... Really don't want to over speed it.
21415008_10212895044424447_494288859030207629_o.jpg

21367078_10212895126546500_1004657770012325357_o.jpg

21457618_10212895675320219_6760258891801082952_o.jpg

21457399_10212895847764530_2399810087579976457_o.jpg

You are better off saving your money than wasting it on what I assume you meant as the tork tek ofv.

You don't need that much pressure for the p7100, around 20 is more than enough. The high pressure deal is guys getting a little more out of them at high rpm.

I can ship you my timing set to borrow if you aren't hell bent on owning one.

Sent from my XT1575 using Tapatalk

Does an extremely poor job of actually regulating the pressure. Chris and others hit the nail on the head with the regulated return.

Poor job at metering with what type of pump?
The Mechanical single piston OEM that discharges every other crank revolution? that in and of itself self has rather large and wide peaks/valley's on pressure.. outside having an accumulator to smooth things out pressure wise, it's going to be rather pronounced.. the return line jumped when ever the pump discharged while running..

Electric.. would be alot smoother Regardless external or internal bypass..
Gues I'll find out..

This showed up,. Along with 5*.014 150° injectors from smoke, HX40 to 4" adapter, valair clutch is supposed to come in today needs a signature for Delivery

21414723_10212900311636124_2616897794770408337_o.jpg

As for timing set.. probably talk to Chris Watson about doing it.. then probably end up buying one as I'll probably adjust it to find the sweet spot.

Back