A New Turbo/Gate setup

Jim Fulmer

Although I had a Turbonetics T-66 the one thing I didn't have was a wastegate, knowing me and the fueling I have with N2O readily available, I not only needed a way to control boost but also get air out of the motor, in comes Chris at Engineered Diesel with a gate setup.

Along with this I'll post pictures of my manifold prep and setup to help optimize the package.

DSC00760.jpg
[/IMG]
DSC00759.jpg
[/IMG]
DSC00758.jpg
[/IMG]
DSC00757.jpg
[/IMG]
DSC00751.jpg
[/IMG]
DSC00750.jpg
[/IMG]
DSC00748.jpg
[/IMG]

A While but not bad, they do a nice job with a machine, all I did was smooth/radius the sharp edges and make it flow smoother....I hope! All the ports are matched, the gate plate is matched no only to the manifold but also the turbo housing....yes I looked at it in the reverse situation of Twins and it works fine.

Jim

DSC00759.jpg
[/IMG]

Do you think if volute slot were opened up wider, the exhaust housing would flow more? I guess my real question is this, is it the width of the slot that determines the cm of the housing?

You dont want to increase the slot size due to the fact that exhaust velocity will be comprimised (spool up and turbine efficiency). The housings are measured a/r (area over radius).

This combo is going to be interesting to do some R&D with because there are so many firsts with it. First time with a Ball Bearing turbo, a well thought out gate system and a Big foot manifold, I will tell you that the difference between this manifold and a T-3 or a stocker is huge, there is twice the area at the flange and the ports are even bigger than my port matched T-3 ATS.

There are a few down sides to it but nothing that a little work didn't cure, should be on my 98' in a few weeks but the original intent was for the 01' 12V.

Jim

Is that clamp that holds the gate to the pipe the one that came with the setup? That looks beefier than the one I have.

No I already had a gate but just last night found an issue with it, if I can't fix it I'll buy one from Chris.

Jim

This combo is going to be interesting to do some R&D with because there are so many firsts with it. First time with a Ball Bearing turbo, a well thought out gate system and a Big foot manifold, I will tell you that the difference between this manifold and a T-3 or a stocker is huge, there is twice the area at the flange and the ports are even bigger than my port matched T-3 ATS.

There are a few down sides to it but nothing that a little work didn't cure, should be on my 98' in a few weeks but the original intent was for the 01' 12V.

Jim

Have fun Jim...I had about the same setup for a while. Garrett GT4088R, 38mm External gate on a T4 manifold, .85A/R housing...I'm gonna try it again soon;)

Chris

Dan that gate is a Tial 44mm, I bought it years ago and thought I'd give it a try instead of spending more cash.

The 66 has a .81 housing on it but from what I gather it has the small 65mm turbine on it as it is a P trim, it came with the 01' truck so it's free in my eyes other than the $100 checkout from a local shop that I deal with.

Jim

That's an odd combination, the part number that turbonetics sells with the 65 and 68mm turbines has a divided housing and both used a .84a/r turbine housing. Will be interesting to see what you end up with Jim. I like the idea of an external gate in your setup for sure! Sounds like you'll be pushing it really hard!

Looks good Jim!

One of the best-designed T4 flange-mounted WGs I've seen...

Here you go Nick!

BB T66 #10983 P Trim Dry Dynamic Seal Tang undivided .81 A/R Sm Frame Housing, Exducer 2.920 inches Inducer 2.5420 inches.

That's out of an E-mail I have!

Jim

Yeah I'd like to know how that works cause im trying to decide on either a T-netics 66/68 T-4 or to get II to make me a T-4 Silver series charger to run with my 50mm External gate.

Jim, I just want to know about the clamp, that holds the wastegate on to the flange. It looks heavier than that one that came with my gate.

Back