A New Turbo/Gate setup

Here is the deal Brandon, the turbo came with the 01' It was originally bought with that housing and I saw no need in changing it without trying it. During this process I had my eye on the E.D. gate and bought it just because it was that nice, I could have easily bought (2) T-4 flanges and built a spacer, I've done it before.

Yes your thought it correct, once I get some time and data on it everyone will be able to tell better, without the external can you imagine the drive pressures. I may have gone a little over board with the smoothing of everything in the earlier pics but I would do it again.

Thanks Chris for you assistance with this idea!

Jim

Here is the deal Brandon, the turbo came with the 01' It was originally bought with that housing and I saw no need in changing it without trying it. During this process I had my eye on the E.D. gate and bought it just because it was that nice, I could have easily bought (2) T-4 flanges and built a spacer, I've done it before.

Yes your thought it correct, once I get some time and data on it everyone will be able to tell better, without the external can you imagine the drive pressures. I may have gone a little over board with the smoothing of everything in the earlier pics but I would do it again.

Thanks Chris for you assistance with this idea!

Jim

Like I said I have a general Idea on the workings of a Ex. Gate I just wanted to get some feedback on my thought process to make sure I was on the right track. By Chris's remark I am excited to get to work with the tuning ability of a external gate and learn even more about one on my own pick-up truck :D. U did say you went with a T-4 big foot right Jim? did u use a carbide burr and a diegrinder to smooth it out I plan to do the same. DP without the gate might make the motor stop and begin to spin backwards with that housing LOL but like u said it came with it so why not give it a shot!
Brandon

Yes on the bits with a die grinder and then over everything with sand rolls to smooth it up, also all the edges from the manifold to the turbo are all opened up and rolled for a smooth transition.

DSC00755-1.jpg
[/IMG]

Chris, which of these two maps would you look at for this turbo, I think I'm in the ball park for tuning.

FI66map.jpg
[/IMG]

T66Map.gif
[/IMG]

Jim

Jim, by fluttering @ part throttle do you mean on the boost gauge? I was wondering if that tight hot side might cause a problem w/ the 66 compressor.

I went with the 66/68-.81

supposed to ship out today hopefully! :D

Haven't noticed, I'll try to look at it today! Here is one, driving in the morning at 65 in O/D, EGT's are 600, tap on the throttle enought to jump up to 650 degrees and the boost is already at 22 psi........stab it and it shakes the tires :)

Jim

Hay ,Jim doesent look like that turbo has a MAP with slot in the front cover. Might be part of the fluttering trouble. Think back when the frist htt 66 65 14turbos came out thay had the same " fluttering " type thang going on but there turbos had the Map slot and ET compressore wheels .might be worst with a Garrett wheel thay are non ET wheels not sure about the Turbonetics.I allways thought it was not right to put a bigger EX wheel than a comp wheel theres not enuff of a lever on the EX side to keep the boost in a happy place when in part to low running just something to think about

Ok here are a few things to chew on.

T-66/65/.81 Boost/Drive 1 to 1 at 40 psi, goes south fast and max boost was set at 45, drive pressure was pinned at 60. EGT's were 1750, intake temp was 115....this was to about 110 MPH.

Silver Bullet Boost/Drive 1 to 1 at 47 psi also goes south fast, at 50 psi drive pressure pinned at 60.

EGT's are relatively close 50-75 degrees....T-66 is hotter, Bullet has it on power no doubt, T-66 has the Bullet beat bad on spool up and snaps lightning quick.

The one run I made with water on (washer fluid) it stuck at 45 psi but SOTP was good and intake temp was 95.

Outside temp was 55.

Jim

Ok stop, you guys are picking one me!

Seriously, is there something to be learned here, it's not like I bought the turbo. If you guys want me to test something I will, G' man I'm going to test your gate with a bottle before long :)

Jim

Ok guys - I am almost external wastegate illiterate

Questions:

Who makes the neat wastegate flange adapter and where do i get one

What spring psi are you runnin in the gates for our high boost - I understand the boost pressure is piped into both sides of the gate with the spring being the tuning - yes? so like 8 - 20 - 24 psi springs? Which is better or has anyone R&D'ed various spring rates?

Is the boost to one side of the gate regulated in some fashion or is it just spring pressure plus boost

what is an economical gate to buy - I dont have 3-$400. to spend on a gate

thanx for your help
Ken

We made the one Jim has been showing in this thread. We have a few dealers (Pure Diesel Power, Beans Diesel Performance, J&H Performance, Diesel Performance Research, S&R Diesel, Dr Performance to name a few) you can get them through or directly from us.

I don't know Jim's exact spring set up. Our gates run a double spring stack giving you a choice of 4 spring seat loads ranging from 16 to 100 psi with the shims. Now consider that 70lbs of drive pressure on a 2" diameter valve face will want to push that valve open with over 220lbs of force, big springs are needed to keep the gate closed during spool up when the system is very drive heavy. The gasser/ricer gates don't usually offer seat pressures anywhere close to this. The piston and cylinder design being all metal allows us to run drive pressure to the top and have a large surface to offset the remaining drive pressure on the valve face. Surface area, valve travel and heat resistance are all diminished with the std "trampoline" style gates with the diaphragm in the center. We run a small amount of regulated boost pressure into the bottom of the piston to open the gate where we want.

Hope that helps Ken, Feel free to call if I didnt.

Back