Adjustable pump gear??

Triple 7

Black Smoke Sickness
Has anybody running an adjustable gear had the bolts back out of it? Mine backed out to the cover and sheared the small alignment bolt! Just wondering if others have had this type of issue with their gear?

I check mine every 3rd pull just to be safe. Did all Allen heads make contact with the cover or only the alignment screw?

from phone

I check mine every 3rd pull just to be safe. Did all Allen heads make contact with the cover or only the alignment screw?

from phone

The allen bolts backed off to the cover which I think is when the alignment bolt snapped...

Mine where at 65 ft lbs and this happened with about 3 mins after install. Idling, not going down the road

Wonder if the gear was in a slight bind? So you got to torque, but it broke free.

Have you retorqued it since? Still coming loose? Possibly some clearance issues on the hub, etc.

Wonder if the gear was in a slight bind? So you got to torque, but it broke free.

Have you retorqued it since? Still coming loose? Possibly some clearance issues on the hub, etc.

Have not ran them back down yet. I'm not sure about clearance issues. I was also wondering if anybody was using lock washers?

Have not ran them back down yet. I'm not sure about clearance issues. I was also wondering if anybody was using lock washers?

Old machine repairman told me years ago, that you don't need lockwashers if you torque it right!

We run Kennys adj. pump gears in our builds and have never had any issues with them backing out or coming loose. If you have the timing set where you want it and don't plan on playing with it, you could try some loctite.

We run Kennys adj. pump gears in our builds and have never had any issues with them backing out or coming loose. If you have the timing set where you want it and don't plan on playing with it, you could try some loctite.

I would say some blue loctite would be fine. Don't drown it.

My alignment bolt is the only one i have had back out on mine. had to pull the front cover off and retrieve it.

Mine was in the first 5 min. also I think it rattled loose. Now it and ever most everything get some locktite on assembly.

I just use a nail the right size for the alignment bolt, don't leave it in, just use it to align it.

If you're having trouble with just the alignment bolt backing out, I would just leave it in until you got the six drive hub bolts tight, then remove it and keep it in a safe place.

Josh, its not the alignment bolt that is the problem. The six main bolts backed out all the way to the cover which is when the alignment bolt snapped. Now I'm looking for half a small allen bolt in the front of the motor!

Back