Albany-what makes a good race great?

Was this on a .000 Tree? I've never quite understood why or how there are three kinds of trees. And maybe I'm misunderstanding, but aren't there .500, .400 and .000 ?? What's the theory or logic behind this. And why is it that sometimes, I swear the lights run down the tree faster than other times. Sorry to hijack this...

the first time was on a pro street tree.... I wasn't expect it. The rest are on a ET tree.

Everything Dockboy recommended is well advised.

As far as the tree types and reaction times, it can get a little confusing. Back in the "old days" the reaction timer started when the last amber bulb turned on (instead of starting when the green turns on). On the standard full tree, there is 0.500 sec between bulbs, so a perfect light on the "old system" was 0.500 (and a 0.499 was a red light by 0.001). The typical "Pro tree", where all the ambers flash at the same time, is 0.400 sec between ambers and green. On the old style reaction timer and pro tree, a 0.400 is a perfect light.

A few years ago they converted most timing systems to report reaction time when the green turned on, so 0.000 is a perfect light (and -0.001 is a 0.001 red light), whether you are on a full tree or pro tree. Some tracks are still using older timing systems with the "old style" reaction times.

To further confuse the issue, some classes (Specifically NHRA "Super-Street" which is like Quick Diesel on a 10.90 index) have switched to a 0.500 Pro tree (since it was thought that cars of that speed did not leave hard enough to get a good reaction time on a 0.400 pro tree).

As Dockboy mentioned, reaction time is everything in drag racing, whether bracket racing or Quick Diesel. One of the things I do at the track is watch the lights come down when I'm not racing, so I have that cadence drilled into my head (for getting my timing down). Another good thing to do is to get a practice tree (you can get one for $100 from Jegs), and practice your timing at home. Mine got misplaced (I think it's lost in the bottom of one of my daughter's toy boxes), so I may be buying another one if I don't find it soon!

The basic strategy for bracket racing is to cut the best light you can, then win by as little as possible. It sounds oversimplified, but that is how you do it (and why the guy was on the brakes against Triton). Just don't do like I did in Bakersfield, and hit the brakes too hard and let the other guy by you!

Regards,
Michael Pliska

more excellent info... thanks Michael.

In yours or anyones opinion.... when should you leave the line.

I've always used the last yellow on the ET tree. What's good on a pro street ?

Bottom line is if you see green you left too late by the time the green lights you should be seeing torque blurr. Personally I think its all about "feel" and style. I stage shallow and leave early while your style may be stage deep and leave just a little later. Its all about the driver and his/her style. ---just my 2cents .....I'll shut up and go back to sleep now.

more excellent info... thanks Michael.

In yours or anyones opinion.... when should you leave the line.

I've always used the last yellow on the ET tree. What's good on a pro street ?
Soon as you see yellow. Thanks Steve B.

Yup, on a pro tree you react as soon as you see anything. This is one area where it seems that 95% of the population is pretty close in reaction time, but if you're lucky enough to be in that 5% that's quicker, you can have a real advantage. I was always quicker than most on a pro tree. I worked at perfecting the "state" of being very focused on the task, while being "psyched" up. I would listen to hard rock music before a pass (and found that it had a measurable result on my reaction times), and also kept practicing the exact movement I needed to do at the launch (release the brake pedal and hit the gas) to develop muscle memory.

On a full tree, I try to set up my vehicle so that I can leave right as the last amber turns on. I deep stage my pickup so that I can leave at the same spot on the tree that I am used to in my car.

Regards,
Michael Pliska

i was had a great time at the race.i had a perfect plan that with a little luck would take me straight to the top of the quick diesel class,unfortunatley my redeye in the final round messed all that up.congrats matt i knew my only chance was to tree you and try and make you break out,maybe next time...

I had a GREAT time and so did my whole family. It was a good crowd and GREAT racers!! Thanks to Wrongway for loaning me a freze plug so I could play the rest of the day. My favorite thing was blasting the mrs. in the "cosmic braking test". She has a whole new apprecation for 60'.:rockwoot: The go-carts were a hit with the kids and a gret idea. Thanks to the whole NADM crew for a great smooth race :Cheer: (except for my freeze plug disaster). This was my first time out with that truck, and I was very pleased... just need more wind!

Back