Allison swap this winter?

RonA

I've been thinking about swapping the 47rh for an Allison with a stand alone controller. Looking at the gear ratio's makes me drool.My tranny has been rock solid, but 1st gear is too high. I think it would be faster at the track with the larger chargers, and be alot better daily driver. What adapters would be needed and is there more than 1 controller available. I couldn't be happier with how the Goerend stuff has held up, but I have always heard good things about Suncoast too. They(Suncoast) appear to be the only game in town for the Allison.

some of the high hp guys are going away from the allison.

Get in touch with Big Dipper (George Alexander) Ron. He has a customer running 10.3's with one of his trans in a crew cab SB 4x4. He built my trans in my LMM last Friday while he was out for the races and it is amazing how well it shifts now. It's not a 47/48re but it clicks off shifts like clockwork.

Specifically they are going 48RE, the internals of a Allison cannot be made large enough to have the same amount of square inches of contact/clutch that the torque flight has. Granted under a certain level of horsepower it would be nice to have the 6 gears.

I don't plan on racing my truck much. Just a few passes per year. 1 more gear mixed in there would make smoke control easier and help with towing I would think.

Are you still running an Allison Nathan?

I run a Allison in my DD LMM. Our race truck is a 47re. Less gears/shifting is better for racing at big power. For daily driving duties the Allison is hard to beat IMO.

I wouldn't do it Ron, Like said above they dont like high hp. Is there one thing on your truck that you havent thought about changing?

One good thing about the swap, it would immediately make you the "fastest ppumped 1st gen with an allison"! LOL

I've heard the same as others have mentioned. They are great up to a certain power level, then the trans can't take it anymore.

Ron do you have 3.55's? Why not go to 4.11's. These trucks with 3.55's in OD are geared too high anyways.

Ron do you have 3.55's? Why not go to 4.11's. These trucks with 3.55's in OD are geared too high anyways.

I do have 3.55's, and you are right about the gearing. I can't drive at freeway speed in OD with the converter locked.

I never thought about my truck being out of the hp range of the Allison.

Last edited:
goeerend is now doing the alison trans, but i wouldnt swap em i'd keep the 47rh and run it tell she dies.

I know of a guy who has done around 12 allison conversions to Newer and Older Dodge pickups. I will PM you his info. He is a great guy and will tell you whatever it is you want to know about the conversion.
I sold him a 47rh for his dumptruck. On our way camping this summer and I dropped it off to him.
I BSd with him for awhile. He has all the adapters and has a standalone computer built by (PCS?).
I will PM his number.

hell just go with the new Ford 6 speed.. Opie told me years ago that the Allison can't be built quite like the others. Seems pointless to to do all the work if it's no huge benefit.

I wouldn't do it Ron, Like said above they dont like high hp. Is there one thing on your truck that you havent thought about changing?

You've already gone from manual to auto, don't do the Allison swap Ron, Swap gears and see if that works for you first.

we got an allison on my drilling rig, behind a c16

but we've blown 3 of them

are the internals of the 47rh stronger then the RE ?? or vise versa >?

i'm wondering what to do when i blow up this BD trans

probly a goerend converter and a suncoast rebuild kit

Jay, the guy running 10.3's in a crew cab, is making about 1100hp and he ran all season on the same trans. So the Allison can be made to live at high hp. The down side to an Allison is it tries to be too smart at times and that is when the trans get's hurt. I'm not sure if the stand alone controllers eliminate that or not.

A 3.73 gear would definately help. I don't know if they make one for the D80 though.

we got an allison on my drilling rig, behind a c16

but we've blown 3 of them

are the internals of the 47rh stronger then the RE ?? or vise versa >?

i'm wondering what to do when i blow up this BD trans

probly a goerend converter and a suncoast rebuild kit

what series of allison? surely to god its a 2000 series or 3k? A c16 could snap a 1000 in half.

Back