Allison swap this winter?

what series of allison? surely to god its a 2000 series or 3k? A c16 could snap a 1000 in half.

You do realize that the 2000 series transmissions have the same ratings as a 1000 series trans, right? The main difference there is the gear ratios available...

A c16 would most likely have a 4000 series trans or maybe a 3000.

I haven't ever rebuilt an Allison or been around any with higher miles on them (other than the 1000s in the little GM trucks), but from what I've been told it isn't uncommon to see them die an early death and be really expensive to fix.

Jay, the guy running 10.3's in a crew cab, is making about 1100hp and he ran all season on the same trans. So the Allison can be made to live at high hp. The down side to an Allison is it tries to be too smart at times and that is when the trans get's hurt. I'm not sure if the stand alone controllers eliminate that or not.

A 3.73 gear would definately help. I don't know if they make one for the D80 though.

found one

IMO I like the 3.73's the best out of the three ratios I've run (3.54s and 4.10's otherwise). Not so low that I feel like I'm running out of rpm too early and not so high that I feel like I have to get out and push to get a load moving. But that's just my $.02

The simple fact is that the gearing on the dodge tranny is poor. First gear is too high. From there everything is fine. For daily driving the Allison would be much better. Alas, the cons do appear to outweigh the pros on this one. I'll look into a gear change and leave it at that. It may allow me to use lockup in OD on the freeway. Unfortunately I don't see it being a big difference getting it moving from a dead stop. Maybe someone who has gone from 3.55's to 4.10's could chime in. I am slightly concerned about the rpm change on top and what it might do to my top speed in the 1/4, but I really need to focus on what works best for daily driving and not what works best 2 or 3 times per year. I do appreciate all the comments.
Thank you.

The simple fact is that the gearing on the dodge tranny is poor. First gear is too high. From there everything is fine. For daily driving the Allison would be much better. Alas, the cons do appear to outweigh the pros on this one. I'll look into a gear change and leave it at that. It may allow me to use lockup in OD on the freeway. Unfortunately I don't see it being a big difference getting it moving from a dead stop. Maybe someone who has gone from 3.55's to 4.10's could chime in. I am slightly concerned about the rpm change on top and what it might do to my top speed in the 1/4, but I really need to focus on what works best for daily driving and not what works best 2 or 3 times per year. I do appreciate all the comments.
Thank you.

I went from 3.54s to 4.10s when I swapped in the 14-bolt... I didn't notice anything off the line as far as getting moving quicker, but I did notice that it seemed like my trans couldn't shift fast enough to keep from defueling. Only time I noticed the benefit was when I was towing 12k... It helped get off the line and didn't bog as much between shifts, but I get almost the same benefit with the 3.73s compared to what I recall towing with 3.54's was like.

I remeber high EGT's and feeling like I had to get out and push to get a load moving. Now with the 3.73s I'm not even afraid to set the cruise at 70 on the interstate with 12k. But then again, I have about half the fuel you do and a charger that lights ridiculously fast :doh:

Thank you.

There are different ratio planetaries available for the torqueflites...

Straight-Cut Planetary Gears - A&A Transmissions

Might be a cheaper option.

I have 4.10s in my truck and my buddy has the same truck with 3.55s. I really want to go with higher gears, but don't think that going to a 3.55 gear is the way to go either. As was mentioned, I think a 3.73 might just be the ticket. It depends on what tire size you are running too though.

My truck on a low 12 second pass makes the 1-2 shift between 1.3 and 1.4 seconds. My brothers truck on a mid 11 second pass made the 1-2 shift at 1.35 seconds and 3850 rpm. That puts it about 50 feet out. Are you sure you need a taller 1st gear?

There are different ratio planetaries available for the torqueflites...

Straight-Cut Planetary Gears - A&A Transmissions

Might be a cheaper option.

I have 4.10s in my truck and my buddy has the same truck with 3.55s. I really want to go with higher gears, but don't think that going to a 3.55 gear is the way to go either. As was mentioned, I think a 3.73 might just be the ticket. It depends on what tire size you are running too though.

Holy expensive batman! Though the 2.77/1.57 ratio looks more appealing for towing IMO. I also like the idea of straight cut gears to take some of the thrust loads out of the trans...

I went from 3.54's to 4.10's. But I am running a 35" tire. Biggest thing I noticed was the fact that I can't haul ass down the freeway anymore (That's a good thing for me). And that my EGT's went down quite a bit while towing. But I have a manual. Now that I'm going back to 33's, the 4.10's are going to be way too low. I'd like to do 3.73's. But might go 3.54's just because of cost. I wouldn't want to go any lower with a tire as small as your running.

With 3.55s you are at
1750rpm - 66mph
2000rpm - 75mph
2250rpm - 85mph

With 3.73s
1750rpm - 62.5
2000rpm - 72
2250rpm - 81

With 4.11s
1750rpm - 57
2000rpm - 65
2250rpm - 73

This is with a 31" tall tire in OD

What converter are you running? Have you thought about a higher stall to help get it up on the charger(s) quicker?

I think that may be your best bet depending on if it is already pretty loose.

I know teddy bear had a 15 blade left cut goerend converter in his truck when he was driving it. He had a 62/71/14

I am running his 800/300 stall converter with a stock 3rd gen charger which is 60mm with a 9cm exhaust housing.

Both trucks with the same gear ratios, and his truck spooled a lot faster than mine does because of the converter being looser. It was much easier to drive without smoke than mine, and still pulled pretty hard even out of lockup.

Just an idea

Eric

I'm running a 15 blade left cut converter. It's about as high of a stall as I want to go. My twin setup works well and keeps the boost numbers down a bit, but it isn't the quickest lighting set around by a long shot. Looking at the rpm numbers, if i keep the same 125mph trap speed I'm looking at 3333rpm with my 3.55's, 3472 with 3.73's, and 3846 with the 4.10's. Looks like 4.10's would need a bit more tire than what I'm running. This could turn into a can of worms pretty easily.:doh:

3850 isnt much. Dont you have full fuel to 4000? That would put you at 130 @ 4000

I'd go a smidge looser on the converter and wire in a converter un-lock circuit through an old school floor switch (bright switch) so that you can unlock the converter when you need to accelerate and get some boost on the gauge, then let it lock back up once you're motoring

Holy expensive batman! Though the 2.77/1.57 ratio looks more appealing for towing IMO. I also like the idea of straight cut gears to take some of the thrust loads out of the trans...

They're expensive, but cheaper than an allison swap...

I too like the idea of the straight cut gears although that wasn't the main reason I posted that.

I'd go a smidge looser on the converter and wire in a converter un-lock circuit through an old school floor switch (bright switch) so that you can unlock the converter when you need to accelerate and get some boost on the gauge, then let it lock back up once you're motoring
Mine is set up this way now. I started out with a looser converter. Every time I came to a hill I'd look down and I'd be going 45 in od with the same rpm I was turning when I hit the base of the hill going 70.

Ron,
If your serious about the Allison swap, give Gabe a call.

Hes a super nice guy that has done MANY Allison/Cummins swaps. You wouldnt believe what he gets for a swap, 10k EACH!

Back