Alternator on pull truck yes or no?

bigjoe92992

I have a cummins motor 2.6 truck. The only things electrical are the air to water pump, electric water pump for block, fans and gauges. Was wondering if I could run it off of 2 deep cycle batteries or if I should just keep the alternator on. Wondering if anyone has done this if it's worth it

Most guys seem to just run on batteries anymore. Many are going to dry blocks so you don't have to worry about a water pump. Also the motor doesn't run very much to charge the battery.
We ran an alternator the past couple seasons but it quit working this year. We didn't notice any difference charging the batteries and not having the alternator (2 air to water pumps, fan, gauges).

You would not be the first or the last one to take out the alternator off of a pull truck. Just be sure that you keep the batteries charged.

what air to water pumps are you running? With my electric fuel pumps and air to water pumps I chose to keep the alternator on the truck with a disconnect. As I'm going down the track the only load the alternator has on it are the fuel pumps. Battery runs everything else during the pull.

Ditch the alternator, We have used XS batteries with success. We powered a water pump, gauges, starter, air to water pump, and steering off of two batteries. I believe there is an XS Power Vendor on here as well. We never had an issue even with multiple hooks on a single charge.

Awesome thanks guys. These were the answers I was hoping to get That's what I wanted to do

Ran two Interstate MTP65's last year on my truck and forgot to charge them after most pulls. Never had a problem.

Haven't ran one since 2010 when I took the truck off the road. Get a good trickle charger and keep it plugged in during the week between pulls

One alternator weighs less than one Decca AGM, no? I'd run one good battery and see how it goes, again, on the trickle charger between weekends...

For those of you that have deleted the alternator and a/c pump, do you recall how long a serpentine belt you had to run? Or have a part # for one? Or do I need to take a string and wrap around the pulleys to get a measurement? Im deleting both on my 96 12v motor and just looking for a lil help.

Im not running a volt gauge. And am going to get a small solar trickle charger to leave hooked up.

I would run the alternator, if you are really worried about it draining power, you could tie the field wire into a boost activated switch.

I liked the alternator for always knowing the battery was charged.

I have elec fans already, use an elec water pump to cycle the coolant? what about steering? Wasent going to do hydrololic steering this year..

I run an alternater on the truck. I run two airdogs, electric fans, water pump, and guages. If I was running a mechanical fuel pump I would probably ditch the alternater too.

Back