Alternator on pull truck yes or no?

I would run the alternator, if you are really worried about it draining power, you could tie the field wire into a boost activated switch.

I liked the alternator for always knowing the battery was charged.

Id be lying if i said i hadnt thought about this, my GM alternator is a one wire operation though. Think could i get away with a solonoid to disconnect it without hurting the alternator?

Id be lying if i said i hadnt thought about this, my GM alternator is a one wire operation though. Think could i get away with a solonoid to disconnect it without hurting the alternator?

Yes, I ran that set up all last year. I have a toggle switch to control the solenoid worked pretty well.

I run an alternater on the truck. I run two airdogs, electric fans, water pump, and guages. If I was running a mechanical fuel pump I would probably ditch the alternater too.

Pretty much the same set up I have 2 AD150's, two air to water pumps, gauges, lights, elec water pump, and elec fans. The pressure drop from the fuel pumps was pretty noticeable if only running on battery power. That's why I continue to run an alternator with a disconnect.

A lot of racers would do this to take the load off the engine.

Back