Any expected PPL rule changes for 2017

Its funny because that is where its heading!! :clap:

I've Said from day one there should only be three diesel truck classes. W.s, prostock, and SS.

W.s should be 1000ish short wheelbase, single tire 7k or lighter
Pros, unlimited turbo, odl and dots
SS anything goes.

Until there was enough numbers to sustain those classes at local levels all over the country we shouldn't change it

People would fuss and said my 200" long truck won't fit the w.s rules, who gives a **** buy you a $1000 truck and build a new one.

Prostock would be fine. Dots would keep the playing field even and keep things shook up.

Ss is growing now because people are tired of change and with it they know what's going to change...... Nothing

I've Said from day one there should only be three diesel truck classes. W.s, prostock, and SS.

SS anything goes.

Until there was enough numbers to sustain those classes at local levels all over the country we shouldn't change it

People would fuss and said my 200" long truck won't fit the w.s rules, who gives a **** buy you a $1000 truck and build a new one.

Prostock would be fine. Dots would keep the playing field even and keep things shook up.

Ss is growing now because people are tired of change and with it they know what's going to change...... Nothing

Yeah because that would even the playing field...

SS anything goes.

One thing that would be great about this type of scenario would be the easily distinguishable visual differences from class to class... With the current PPL rules it can be hard for casual fans to tell what class is pulling...

One thing that would be great about this type of scenario would be the easily distinguishable visual differences from class to class... With the current PPL rules it can be hard for casual fans to tell what class is pulling...

That is where I feel the 3.6 is loosing interest. I think it was mentioned before, but the visual difference between 3.6 and the SS trucks isn't much to the once or twice a year fan. The perception to the fan is important to a show. I don't think pullers take that into consideration because it is easier for them to see the differences.

With SS, 3.0 smooth, and the 2.6 smooth bore classes we wouldn't be too far from what was mentioned for classes. Minus the required turbos of course.

I agree about the casual fan not being able to distinguish between the classes, especially the 3.6 and SS. But aren't tractors even worse ? Unless you know tire size differences in the rules, they are not easily distinguishable at all. Then they let alky and diesel pull together in certain classes.
If we relied on visual appearance to tell the difference, not many pullers would be happy. 2.6 smooth wants duals and hood stacks, which makes them look just like lim pro. Pro stock wants cuts, which makes them look same as SS. No easy way to do it without cutting back to 3 distinct classes, as mentioned.

That is where I feel the 3.6 is loosing interest. I think it was mentioned before, but the visual difference between 3.6 and the SS trucks isn't much to the once or twice a year fan. The perception to the fan is important to a show. I don't think pullers take that into consideration because it is easier for them to see the differences.

With SS, 3.0 smooth, and the 2.6 smooth bore classes we wouldn't be too far from what was mentioned for classes. Minus the required turbos of course.

You guys forget that PPL doesn't really want a budget class(which is why want most folks want the 2.6) or a class that has 15+ trucks in it. They want folks with professional looking rigs, team uniforms etc. I do think the 3.0, 3.6 and SS are a good mix. They want the cut tires, so maybe do a 3.0 smooth with cuts and allow gutted trucks and drop the 3.6?

Last edited:
You have to remember also these classes never hook at the same place except a couple times a year.

Also, We don't have anything out here but 3.6 and some brush 2.6/3.0 stuff. Promoters want the cuts on us so that's what we run.

I agree about the casual fan not being able to distinguish between the classes, especially the 3.6 and SS. But aren't tractors even worse ? Unless you know tire size differences in the rules, they are not easily distinguishable at all. Then they let alky and diesel pull together in certain classes.
If we relied on visual appearance to tell the difference, not many pullers would be happy. 2.6 smooth wants duals and hood stacks, which makes them look just like lim pro. Pro stock wants cuts, which makes them look same as SS. No easy way to do it without cutting back to 3 distinct classes, as mentioned.

I agree, I think 2.6 smooth should have bed exhaust and single wheels..

Tractor classes are boring as hell IMO. I am a puller, mechanically inclined, and I can hardly stand watching tractors, other than the crazy HP diesel classes that I don't even know the name of. Green tractor after red tractor gets old to me fast. I guess you can say that 4/5 pullers use dodges but at least everyone has a little bit of a personal distinctions between trucks.

I go to one tractor pull a year (keystone nationals) and I'd be damned if I could tell the classes apart.

All good points. We only have 3.0/2.6 and some 2.5 out here. Nothing with cut tires on diesel.

Are the budgets of the 2.5/2.6 smooth trucks that much less than a 2.6/3.0 truck anymore?

Tractor classes can be hard to know the difference even if you are used to seeing them. Super farm and the 466 3x4 class are hard separate and there might be 25 of each in the class. Some of the light super and unlimited super classes are still confusing. They change a lot too it seems.

You guys forget that PPL doesn't really want a budget class(which is why want most folks want the 2.6) or a class that has 15+ trucks in it. They want folks with professional looking rigs, team uniforms etc. I do think the 3.0, 3.6 and SS are a good mix. They want the cut tires, so maybe do a 3.0 smooth with cuts and allow gutted trucks and drop the 3.6?

I've never forgot that I just think people should stop using ppl rules and say the heck with it. If ts is really not going to happen this year, and if schieds was to some reason die off. ....... would people still want to go by ppl rules?

Everyone's argument is to be able to go to big pulls and if I was a betting man I would say the majority never make it to the big pulls.

Back