Anyone here with a 300hp+ ALH?

madmikeismad --- Here's some REAL SOLID ADVICE...

When I first got my TDI, I had the same reaction...... Then I realized, it's the beater car.. The winter car, The backup car.. The I wanna park close in down town car....

Bump the turbo to a VNT17 (nearly drop in). Bump the injectors up a size or two, Tune, clutch and call 150-180whp a day. I'm waiting to find a deal on a used vnt17, in the next month I'll just get a new one if I don't find one..

Upgrade the brakes and new tires, track ready for some slow speed fun.

If you wanna go faster then 13's... You have a 7000# truck for that. ;-)

DUDE..... it's an ugly ass beetle.

vw-beetle-black-edition.jpg

Last edited:

When I first got my TDI, I had the same reaction...... Then I realized, it's the beater car.. The winter car, The backup car.. The I wanna park close in down town car....

Bump the turbo to a VNT17 (nearly drop in). Bump the injectors up a size or two, Tune, clutch and call 150-180whp a day. I'm waiting to find a deal on a used vnt17, in the next month I'll just get a new one if I don't find one..

LOL you do have a point. But thats also part of the reason I want to do it. No one expects a beetle to beat their pretty new mustang. I know it won't be a corvette killer, but it'd beat the majority of stock sports car out there now.

And the beetle look is growing on me LOL

mustangs and the like. Just stock ones. thats all I want to beat.
Even the base model Mustangs are packing a 305hp V-6...I wouldn't get your hopes up man.

Don't get me wrong, I think this is a sweet project (I've always liked TDIs). A sleeper TDI Beetle sounds cool as hell to me!

This just reminds me of the new Beetle that tried to race me from a few stops lights a week ago (Me in my 335xi). I don't know which engine the VW had (170hp 2.5L I-5, 200hp 2.0L I-4, or the 140hp TDI), wouldn't have mattered though. The Beetle driver thought he was speed racer or something,...until I stabbed the throttle for a few seconds and he got real small real quick as he faded into the distance. I kinda felt bad for the guy afterLOL.

Anyways, good luck with this Mike:Cheer:.

There was a guy in California who put a turbine engine in the back of his Beetle...now where is that vid...

Here we go: [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TCqxWhKe_tA"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TCqxWhKe_tA[/ame]

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=endscreen&NR=1&v=mJyAA0oPAwE

I think he made it on the National Geographic channel and or Science channel also.

...Mike...what you need to do is obvious:rockwoot:LOL.

Last edited:
Even the base model Mustangs are packing a 305hp V-6...I wouldn't get your hopes up man.

Don't get me wrong, I think this is a sweet project (I've always liked TDIs). A sleeper TDI Beetle sounds cool as hell to me!

Not all of them.... I know plenty of mustangs that can't get out of their own way. years and years of them were made.

And a 300hp diesel in a lighter car would be so much faster than a 300hp mustang.

I need to find a jet.

My buddy Andy make's a little power with his setup:

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eet8Q-Y5NVw"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eet8Q-Y5NVw[/ame]

Is the vnt17 turbo a (nearly) drop in replacement on the AHU motor also?

Not all of them.... I know plenty of mustangs that can't get out of their own way. years and years of them were made.
So you might as well make things easier on yourself and your wallet by leaving the car stock and just racing old people on their Rascal scooters. A win is a win, right?LOL.

Andy is running a m-tdi using a bosch A pump and has a custom cylinder head as well as a lot of other custom parts. His car and its performance is awesome, but I just dont like living on the edge of breaking with the earlier tdi's. I have an ahu the generation prior to alh and I would love to make big power, but am holding back because I would hate to put so much work into it only to blow it up somewhere north of 250hp after investing $1000's. I'm hoping for maybe 200hp and by going for that power level I can hopefully avoid the need for rods, pistons, a girdle, head studs, and a lot of other misc stuff. I would like to show some wrx's whats up though we'll see.

I agree with Jason, use it for what it is... an economy car. The nice thing is, is that it doesn't have to be slow and can be enjoyable to drive. And it will run well on good bio fuels.

If you really want to make big vw diesel power do a v6 tdi swap or get a 2.0 cr.

Back