Banks rumors and myths

thetonka

I got into an argument with a buddy of mine who has an '04 chevy with a duramx and the Banks big hoss bundle including the PDA thingy. He keeps claiming he has 500 hp and when I doubt him he says that Banks guaranteed it. Thats just the start. I commented that the K&N filter they put in it is probably not the best for filtering the air and sent him a couple of studies I have read that show the K&N is one of the worst for filtering dirt(I like K&Ns, but not for forced induction engines. I have one on the Wife's Jeep). He says the studies could easily be faked and Banks does far more testing than anyone else.

The email he sent me went on to claim that Banks worked with GM to develop the Duramax. He also says he was told that Banks kits may soon be offered as a package directly from GM.

He is a good friend and I don't want to push the issue too hard with him but in my experience most of the Banks claims are more hot air than truth. Can someone please clear up some of these claims, especially the ones about a factory Banks kit option and Banks developing the Duramax. I have had dealings(emails) with the guy my buddy got his deal from. He is an engineer and after several emails about my truck and what Banks has for it I decided he was just too arrogant and ignorant for me to deal with.

Thanks from a guy who drives one of those other trucks. :thankyou2: I know this is a general topic but I take it personally when I think my friends are being lied too. :badidea:

I worked for a diesel shop for a while and a guy called in about his 6.0. Hello sir i want the 700hp package yall offer. I said ok and asked what he already had done.
"I got the banks big hoss so im right at 600 now"
me-"Well sir Banks overates things, right now you probably have 370 to the ground"
him "he he Id have to disagree with you their, if you rode in this son of a B!&@$ youd know, this is the big hoss not the cheap one"
Him "so what will it take me to get the other 100 hp"
after I work up 20K dollars of parts hes says im crazy because he can put propane on it and get to 750

After you factor in the rev gain, multiply it by the square inverse of the smoke output and divide by the pages of ads in every diesel magazine the banks unit is probably putting out around 5,000hp at the wheels.

On the other hand if you look at the results gained from actual dyno tests from customers who don't blindly believe whatever the great Gale says you'll find out they are full of pooo and at best are mediocre systems priced triple their value.

Just my opinion of course,
George

Timbeaux38 said:
He is not st 5oo HP at the wheels....maybe at the crank.

He not even at 400RWHP. I have yet to see anyone dyno a LB7 with Banks stuff not be real disappointed.

I got my truck just over 500rwhp and it took a lot of time tuning. Getting a stock engined LB7 over 500rwhp on a Dynojet 248 is not plug and play. At that level you need to be to minutely tweek things to figure what your truck likes.

thetonka

Do what I did. Tell your buddy you will both dyno. If he doesnt make 500hp he pays for dynoing both trucks.:thankyou2:

thetonka said:
I got into an argument with a buddy of mine who has an '04 chevy with a duramx and the Banks big hoss bundle including the PDA thingy. He keeps claiming he has 500 hp and when I doubt him he says that Banks guaranteed it. Thats just the start. I commented that the K&N filter they put in it is probably not the best for filtering the air and sent him a couple of studies I have read that show the K&N is one of the worst for filtering dirt(I like K&Ns, but not for forced induction engines. I have one on the Wife's Jeep). He says the studies could easily be faked and Banks does far more testing than anyone else.

The email he sent me went on to claim that Banks worked with GM to develop the Duramax. He also says he was told that Banks kits may soon be offered as a package directly from GM.

He is a good friend and I don't want to push the issue too hard with him but in my experience most of the Banks claims are more hot air than truth. Can someone please clear up some of these claims, especially the ones about a factory Banks kit option and Banks developing the Duramax. I have had dealings(emails) with the guy my buddy got his deal from. He is an engineer and after several emails about my truck and what Banks has for it I decided he was just too arrogant and ignorant for me to deal with.

Thanks from a guy who drives one of those other trucks. :thankyou2: I know this is a general topic but I take it personally when I think my friends are being lied too. :badidea:

It is generally accepted that to get a duramax into the high 12's, 500 horsepower is required. Having said that, I have never seen a time slip from someone with a banks setup in a duramax running anything faster than 13.xx

take that for what it's worth..

JOHNBOY said:
He not even at 400RWHP. I have yet to see anyone dyno a LB7 with Banks stuff not be real disappointed.

I got my truck just over 500rwhp and it took a lot of time tuning. Getting a stock engined LB7 over 500rwhp on a Dynojet 248 is not plug and play. At that level you need to be to minutely tweek things to figure what your truck likes.

thetonka

Do what I did. Tell your buddy you will both dyno. If he doesnt make 500hp he pays for dynoing both trucks.:thankyou2:

I have tried to get him to take it to a dyno. I'm pretty busy but hopefully soon I will be able to make it to one of the SoCaps dyno events. I have no delusions that my 7.3L is even close to his even with my mods. I do expect he doesn't have what they claim he has.

Does anyone know anything about the claims that Banks helped develop the Duramax or that GM will be offering Banks kits? I kinda doubt the second, come to think of it I doubt the first one too. I don't see any OEM truck manufacturer concentrating that much on diesel performance. At the cost of these engines I see reliability, durability, and efficiency as much higher priorities from the OEMs.

I highly doubt it. Just like a lot of other Bank poopla.

thetonka said:
Does anyone know anything about the claims that Banks helped develop the Duramax or that GM will be offering Banks kits? I kinda doubt the second, come to think of it I doubt the first one too. I don't see any OEM truck manufacturer concentrating that much on diesel performance. At the cost of these engines I see reliability, durability, and efficiency as much higher priorities from the OEMs.

Banks developed there own twin turbo system, but they have nothing to do with GM or Izuze...

csipsd said:
Banks developed there own twin turbo system, but they have nothing to do with GM or Izuze...

I do remember that they had something to do with the turbo setup on the older GM diesels.

I know its hard to prove a negative, does anyone have anything or know of anywhere I might find prove that Banks DID help GM develop the Duramax?

GM didn't even design the engine, it was an Isuzu design.

SAE Technical Papers

Title: The Design Concept of the Duramax 6600 Diesel Engine
Document Number: 2001-01-2703

Author(s):
James J. Kerekes - General Motors Corp
Shinichi Ohoka - Isuzu Motors America Inc

Abstract:
A new diesel engine, called the Duramax 6600 has been designed by Isuzu Motors (Isuzu) for an upcoming full-size General Motors Corporation (GM) pickup truck. It incorporates the latest diesel technology in order to improve on the inherent strengths of a diesel engine, such as fuel economy, torque and reliability, while also producing higher output, smoother driveability, and lower noise. The Duramax 6600 is an entirely new 90\mD V8 direct injection (DI) intercooled engine with a water-cooled turbocharger. Its fuel injection system employs a fully electronically controlled common-rail system that has high- pressure injection capabilities.

Isuzu had the design responsibility of the base engine, while General Motors Corporation Truck Group was responsible for designing the installation and packaging within the vehicle. Engine validation relied on Isuzu's proven validation process, in addition to General Motors Corporation Powertrain's expertise in engine validation. Engine calibration work in the vehicle was undertaken by a joint team of Isuzu, General Motors Corporation Powertrain and General Motors Corporation Truck Group personnel, which reflects how the engine was born as a complete collaboration of the three organizations.

Engine production was started in the summer of 2000 at DMAX, Ltd., a new Isuzu and General Motors Corporation joint venture located in Moraine, Ohio.

Back