Banks rumors and myths

I remember my first diesel, a 1986 F-250 6.9L with an added Stinger (??) Banks turbo and air filter. I loved the sticker the previous owner placed under the tailgate handle.

Now I have grown up and don't believe their hype :)

I just read this whole thread and can't believe I didn't see one post from Comp.

I have read from many people that for years banks would put down new ideas but as soon as banks had the ability to "copy" the idea it was the best thing in the world, and a banks "exclusive" or something along those lines.

As for your buddy.......bet him on a dyno competition. Tell him the closest guess to your actual horsepower numbers gets the dyno time paid for.....closest guess over or under to be fair.

I have bugged him to get on a dyno and he won't, don't remember his excuse.

Anyway he hasn't responded since my last email. I think that bridge is burnt now.

And yeah where is Comp? I haven't checked to see if this site shows who has read individual threads or not, some do.

COMP461 said:
I have somthing to prove to you ?

no but gale does, for how long that chassis has been done. rumor has it that truck isnt intended to run down the track. why is that? did they build it so you could have that buttkissing avatar?

greg:" wow gale, have you been working out?"

gale: " greg, you look really nice today too."

COMP461 said:
I have somthing to prove to you ?

No I was honestly interested in hearing what you had to say. Why be like that man? What's your problem anyway.

You can say what you want about Gale. I'm personally not a big fan, but you don't buy those double inside cover magazine ads for very cheap. He sells alot of stuff and guys keep coming back for more. Banks is good at selling the core products for inflated prices . They do this with the bundle package. It looks kike you getting a bunch of stuff for 3200$ . Whatever he's doing it works.

thetonka said:
No I was honestly interested in hearing what you had to say. Why be like that man? What's your problem anyway.
If you saw what he saw every time you went the john you'd be upset too.:hehe: LOL

OK I really would like to hear Comps response to my original post, especially since he seems to be the site cheerleader for Banks. I am not trying to start a fight, I really want to know what you have to say Comp. My friendship with the guy appears to have ended because of this crap!

I got into an argument with a buddy of mine who has an '04 chevy with a duramx and the Banks big hoss bundle including the PDA thingy. He keeps claiming he has 500 hp and when I doubt him he says that Banks guaranteed it. Thats just the start. I commented that the K&N filter they put in it is probably not the best for filtering the air and sent him a couple of studies I have read that show the K&N is one of the worst for filtering dirt(I like K&Ns, but not for forced induction engines. I have one on the Wife's Jeep). He says the studies could easily be faked and Banks does far more testing than anyone else.

The email he sent me went on to claim that Banks worked with GM to develop the Duramax. He also says he was told that Banks kits may soon be offered as a package directly from GM.

He is a good friend and I don't want to push the issue too hard with him but in my experience most of the Banks claims are more hot air than truth. Can someone please clear up some of these claims, especially the ones about a factory Banks kit option and Banks developing the Duramax. I have had dealings(emails) with the guy my buddy got his deal from. He is an engineer and after several emails about my truck and what Banks has for it I decided he was just too arrogant and ignorant for me to deal with.

Thanks from a guy who drives one of those other trucks. I know this is a general topic but I take it personally when I think my friends are being lied too.

imelmo said:
I think it was MADDOG that posted a link on here a while back where Banks had brought their Dakota to Truckfest and in the Banks article it said they were the quickest or fastest diesel truck there, neither of which was even close to true. IIRC it was only running like high 12's. Your buddy just got brainwashed by the Super Ad Campaign just like so many other people have. If I had a penny for every time someone said to me, "You must've put all that Banks stuff on there".....
---------------------
imelmo is right. The Banks Sidewinder did race Scott Bentzs' Diesel Dragster at the "ATS Truckfest" in July 2003 and lost that race! I know because I was there. Richard Madsen (MADDOG) also challenged old Gale Banks to race and old Gale did "make up a lame excuse" to get out of it.

Here is the video of the drag race,...... you guys can judge for yourselves:

http://youtube.com/watch?v=-bN0-Lba2zE

As I recall here was the 1/4 mile times for that race:

Bentz Dragster: 10.1@118 MPH
Banks Truck: 12.7@108 MPH

--------
John_P

Those are truly pathetic times for something of that caliber. I would truly be embarrassed if I was Gale or worked for Banks and had all that bragging out there in the world.

12.7 is still alot faster than my truck, but I don't have any Banks stuff. Should I get some stickers for my tailgate? Would they make me faster, And reinstate my warranty that I voided a few years back?

12.7 is a lot faster than mine, but mine is a dedicated tow rig with lots of miles and I have never claimed it to even be fast. For all the bragging they have done about being the best, this is all they had. So many words, so little action.

With the increased advertising and appearances on show by Gale himself I have to wonder if their diesel performance sales had dropped off. There is a lot of competition out their and anyone who does any research will see that Banks is not the best value, performance, or quality. They are not the worst either, but I really have to wonder if they are feeling the pain of all the competition. Lately I have seen FAR more RBP stickers on trucks out here in the IE than Banks stickers. Both are local.

I hope your friendship is still intact, The Big Hoss bundle only will Not get you to 500hp RW... on stock tranny. built tranny will get you close to 485hp RW.. T&C 04 LB7 is about 520 with the PowerPDA B-Hoss stacked with the T-Dog Extreme, CL puts it at about 550hp.Sales are up here 60% from last Year,But most of that is due to the wild Rail...Banks is up 31% Here.

12.7 @ 108 in a dakota race truck with all the banks guru goodies through a "Banks" :poke: automatic is slower than my 3/4 ton 4x4 manual street truck weighing in over 7,200 lbs on 35" tires.

banshee said:
12.7 @ 108 in a dakota race truck with all the banks guru goodies through a "Banks" :poke: automatic is slower than my 3/4 ton 4x4 manual street truck weighing in over 7,200 lbs on 35" tires.

Yeah but does it smoke? :hehe: :pop:

thetonka said:
Yeah but does it smoke? :hehe: :pop:

Actually very little! I think the Sidewinder Type whatever smoked as much or more in the video posted above. No wasted power out my tailpipe:woohoo:

banshee said:
Actually very little! I think the Sidewinder Type whatever smoked as much or more in the video posted above. No wasted power out my tailpipe:woohoo:

That can't be true, its not Banks Power.

Oh man this is good stuff right here . . . two Banks stories . . .

1) Friend "A" has a 2005 Duramax with Banks Exhaust and programming. Same story as your friend. "Banks is the best" . . . "They've been around the longest" :blahblah1: . . . . So after giving him 5 or 6 stoplight to stoplight spankings he finally started wondering if maybe he didn't have "the best" . . . But . . . the final straw was when I told him I would spank his '72 Chevelle with a GMPP ZZ4 Crate motor, built tranny, posi, etc. etc (Not really sure what I was thinking). . . . He naturally laughed at me . . . We raced at Irwindale back in June and to both our astonishment I beat him twice in a row. :eek: He's now looking to ditch the Banks stuff and go with some good EFI Live or PPE tuning on his Dmax. :evil

2) Friend B has a 2006 F250 with Banks Power PDA and that speedloader thing, whatever it is . . . Anyway, when he got it all installed he couldn't wait to take me for a ride to show me how impressive it was. So I went with him and we drove all over taking off full throttle at about every stoplight. I gave him the nod of approval "Yeah, it's nice having that extra power huh?" He was all smiles. When we got back, I thought for a minute that I should take him for a ride in my truck but decided against it and just threw him the keys and said "Don't wrap it around a pole". Off he went . . . 10 minutes later he pulls back up. First thing out of his mouth "Holy **** dude!" What the heck? I just laughed . . . He still has the Banks Power stuff in his truck but he doesn't seem as happy with it as he once did. I feel kind of bad actually. . . . :evil

The uninformed can easily be led astray by convincing stories and over zealous claims but it's hard to deny what you experience first hand! Hope you and your buddy can patch things up. It'd be a shame to let a little bench racing ruin a friendship.

I think there are a lot of the Banks Minions here in SoCal since they are a local company.

Back