Banks rumors and myths

CumminAtYa said:
I just read this whole thread and can't believe I didn't see one post from Comp.

I have read from many people that for years banks would put down new ideas but as soon as banks had the ability to "copy" the idea it was the best thing in the world, and a banks "exclusive" or something along those lines.

As for your buddy.......bet him on a dyno competition. Tell him the closest guess to your actual horsepower numbers gets the dyno time paid for.....closest guess over or under to be fair.
-------------------------------------------------------
CumminAtYa:

I know this post you made was awhile ago, but I also wanted to add some facts to what you said about "for years Banks would put down new ideas but as soon as Banks had the ability to "copy" that idea, it was the best thing in the world.............................................."

Here are some REAL, UNDISPUTABLE FACTS on that issue:

1.) From about 1995 to 1997 GBE was buying the 12V Cummins Fuel Curve Torque Plates for the P-7100 Pump from Mark and Gina Chapple at "TST Products" in Columbus, Indiana. GBE did that until such time that GBE could "COPY" that fuel curve torque plate and put their name on it!!

2.) From mid-year 1998.5 until early 2000, GBE was also buying the "TST PM 3
Fueling Boxes from Mark and Gina Chapple at "TST Products" in Columbus, Indiana. They would receive those boxes from TST, tear off TST's labels and then place their own "Banks Power" stickers on them. They did that until they had their own engineers "COPY" basically what Mark Chapple had conceived, researched, developed and implemented, and then GBE built their own from what they learned from Mark Chapple!!! Now after doing that to Mark Chapple, Old Gale had the audacity about a year ago to run a Banks ad "slamming his competitiors" with "TST Products" included, and in that ad showing Mark Chapple with a total of nine (9) years experience in the diesel performance field KNOWING that Mark Chapple worked for Cummins for THIRTY THREE (33) YEARS before he even started his own company; TST Products. But that's the GBE way,........"buddy up and milk your competitors and once you get what you want from them kick them under the bus to make yourself look good!!" I have known Mark and Gina Chapple at "TST Products" since 1997 and I can tell you without a doubt they are some of the nicest, MOST PROFESSIONAL PEOPLE in the diesel performance industry which GBE will NEVER get close to!! And that is a FACT!!

Now,....Old Gale and his Crew at GBE say "they are innovators and not imitators?????" Well, I say that is pretty much HOGWASH myself!:hehe:
For any CompD Member that doubts this you can call Mark and Gina Chapple at TST Products and they will confirm to you that what I am saying is the absolute truth.

One last thing,.........also at the 2003 ATS Truckfest, GBE had worked out a deal with the owners of ATS (Clint and Ranee Cannon) to put a full ATS Transmission in that Banks LSR Truck. They had a manual tranny in it for their Land Speed Record runs. So,....ATS sent them a full ATS built tranny which by the way was painted the very distinctive purple color paint ATS has always used! Old Gale had apparently said "he would be placing ATS stickers on the Banks LSR Truck." Once at the track, there were no ATS Stickers???
I was asked by an ATS employee to go up to the Banks Pits and ask their Crew what kind of auto transmission they were running KNOWING it was an ATS. Their reply??? "We are running a Banks Transmission!" I then asked "Well if it is a Banks Transmission why does it have ATS purple paint all over it?" That Banks Pit Crew Member stated and I quote: "Well you will have to ask Gale Banks about that" as he turned and walked back into their race trailer!!!!:eek:wned:

Guys,......IMHO this type of stuff ALL goes to chararcter, integrity and honesty just to name a few of the reasons why Old Gale and his Crew at GBE have the "reputation" they do in the diesel performance world! As the saying goes; "You reap what you sow!"

--------
John_P

Last edited:
Watched the videos, and I can see how its not quite fair to race a pickup against a rail, but 12 seconds. DUDE, that blows, especially given the arrogance and bragging they do. Thinking about it its almost like noone else exists. They just keep bragging and ignoring everything and everyone else. It would be really nice to see someone of a show like trucks calling them on their sh!t.

John_P said:
There is also a "rumor" that Old Gale was absolutely "LIVID" when Scott Bentz posted that video of their Bentz Dragster stomping the heck out of the Banks LSR Truck!:hehe:

---------
John_P

Wow!!! STOMPING is an understatement . . . Fair match up or not, the way I look at it, if GB didn't want the video posted he should have ducked out of that race too. It was in public, end of story.

And, we all know Maddog's truck would have spanked that GBE truck. We don't even need to see them run. There are enough videos out there of Maddog's truck running in the 11's (a few in the 10's) that it's kind of pointless against a 12.7 truck anyway.

Nice Vid! And the YouTube link worked for me.

BilletGarage said:
Wow!!! STOMPING is an understatement . . . Fair match up or not, the way I look at it, if GB didn't want the video posted he should have ducked out of that race too. It was in public, end of story.

And, we all know Maddog's truck would have spanked that GBE truck. We don't even need to see them run. There are enough videos out there of Maddog's truck running in the 11's (a few in the 10's) that it's kind of pointless against a 12.7 truck anyway.

Nice Vid! And the YouTube link worked for me.
-----------------------------------------------------
Billet Garage:

Thanks for the "heads-up" on that "youtube.com" video link. I had made a call to Scott Bentz and a few of his Crew about it being "unavailable" for awhile on youtube. I guess he took care of it because as of yesterday you could not see it! And you are right about MADDOG's FUMMINS being able to stomp out the Banks LSR Truck at that racetrack!!:rockwoot: And that is EXACTLY WHY Old Gale didn't want to race MADDOG!!:eek:wned: The man is all about "ME FIRST, I AM THE GREATEST" and is too scared to run and lose to another competitior.

Thanks again Billet!

--------
John_P

John_P said:
-----------------------------------------------------
Billet Garage:

Thanks for the "heads-up" on that "youtube.com" video link. I had made a call to Scott Bentz and a few of his Crew about it being "unavailable" for awhile on youtube. I guess he took care of it because as of yesterday you could not see it! And you are right about MADDOG's FUMMINS being able to stomp out the Banks LSR Truck at that racetrack!!:rockwoot: And that is EXACTLY WHY Old Gale didn't want to race MADDOG!!:eek:wned: The man is all about "ME FIRST, I AM THE GREATEST" and is too scared to run and lose to another competitior.

Thanks again Billet!

--------
John_P

No problem! Doesn't it seem strange though that he agreed to race Scott Bentz in the long car (lightweight) but was skeered of Maddog (Full bodied truck)? Maybe he turned Maddog down after he got wooped by Scott? Two bad losses would have been even worse I suppose. :hehe:

Pat T. said:
Hey man whatta ya got against '97 Powerstrokes LOL

I'll take him for a ride in mine once I get the new turbo and intercooler in... hopefully in the next couple weeks. Then he can go for a ride in your truck, then Reloaded or the Rocket... yea that'll open his eyes.

My truck runs pretty decent, but no where near where you the rest of our gang are at... your GF's dad needs a lesson LOL

I'm sure you would kick his butt Pat. :rockwoot:

BilletGarage said:
No problem! Doesn't it seem strange though that he agreed to race Scott Bentz in the long car (lightweight) but was skeered of Maddog (Full bodied truck)? Maybe he turned Maddog down after he got wooped by Scott? Two bad losses would have been even worse I suppose. :hehe:
------------------------
Good point Billet! MADDOGS' FUMMINS is pretty big and heavy too, but gosh darn it is FAST!!!:rockwoot: His truck would REALLY have made that LSR Truck look bad and just the sheer size and weight of it would have really "ground the Banks Crew into the ground after the loss to the Bentz Dragster!" There is no doubt in my mind AT ALL that Richard would have won that drag race handily that day.

--------
John_P

John_P said:
There is no doubt in my mind AT ALL that Richard would have won that drag race handily that day.

--------
John_P

Maybe even with one turbo tied behind his tailgate. LOL LOL LOL

Hi guys whats up, i have been reading some of the postes here for awhile now and i finally joined, but this is not my first rodeo, thetonka some of what your buddy said is not false it is way miss lead, first i have the banks and there is no way in hell i have 500hp saying 425hp would be pushing it, my stock tranny can bearly handle the 425hp, but about what your budy said about Banks helping GM design the duramax is false in so many ways, what happened was that when Gm had the injector problem with the 01 LB7 Gm asked banks if they could create a stronger injector, thats it, thats all it was, and banks could not, and went to bosch for injectors, but about gm offering banks kits for the duramax i would say is bull, if u want, Gm will send your truck to banks to have there stuff added on to your truck, u will pay out the ass to have them do that,

There is a white paper out there that explains the partnership between Isuzu and GM for the Duramax development.

As for the comments from my friend, I have no doubt he is telling the truth. The problem is not what he believes he has or what he believes his truck can do, its all based on what he was TOLD by Banks sales and engineering staff. I had some communication with the sane engineer and sales staff he dealt with and I have no doubt their arrogance is great enough to support such lies.

I have a friend with an '04 Dmax and he swears by Banks, and he doesn't even have any thing on his truck, bone stock.
He always talks about thier engineering facility and all thier ''developements in diesel tech'', the BS about being on 2 guys and a garage.
I gave him directions to this site. See what he says tommorow.

I would just like to see Banks actually back up their claims, and not on TV. I got tired of seeing one big long commercial on Trucks and Extreme 4X4. They still have the record on the salt flats, but I have a feeling that won't last much longer either. Time to put that drag truck on the track and do what they claim it can do.

Jcummins said:
I have a friend with an '04 Dmax and he swears by Banks, and he doesn't even have any thing on his truck, bone stock.
He always talks about thier engineering facility and all thier ''developements in diesel tech'', the BS about being on 2 guys and a garage.
I gave him directions to this site. See what he says tommorow.

Sounds like my friend. It really makes me wish I had the coin to go buy me a cheap chevy just to build a duramax hotrod with more power spending less money. Document the whole thing with real dyno results and publish it on a site like CompD. I wish more people would do this.

No rumor here - the Sidewinder page has been changed to "good enough to make it one of the quickest trucks" instead of the quickest of the event.
It is not an admission of any type of guilt, it is simply an acknowledgment of other people's achievements and as a way to make peace and move on.

I don't know if we ever saw a timeslip or a video of the maddog pass that has the sidewinder's claim of that day in question, or if a video was ever taken, or still exists, or if the timeslip still exists. Hopefully we can just put this to rest.

http://www.bankspower.com/sidewinder-dragrace.cfm

CumminAtYa said:
No rumor here - the Sidewinder page has been changed to "good enough to make it one of the quickest trucks" instead of the quickest of the event.
It is not an admission of any type of guilt, it is simply an acknowledgment of other people's achievements and as a way to make peace and move on.

I don't know if we ever saw a timeslip or a video of the maddog pass that has the sidewinder's claim of that day in question, or if a video was ever taken, or still exists, or if the timeslip still exists. Hopefully we can just put this to rest.

http://www.bankspower.com/sidewinder-dragrace.cfm
------------------------------------------------------------------------
CumminAtYa:

My sincere thanks to you for posting that link to the Banks Sidewinder Press Release!

You are right, Banks HAS CHANGED that wording! I looked back on a copy of the GBE Press release that I had which was recent and dated 11/13/2007
and that one said; "That (Sidewinders' time) was good enough to make it the Quickest Diesel Pickup at the event!"

That tells me that even though we all may think we are "spinning our tires" when we hammer GBE on all these points, in fact, maybe some of what we are saying and trying to tell them is FINALLY getting through to these guys! It is a step in the right direction, but I for one am not "holding my breath" I can tell you that!:hehe:

Thanks for posting that though!

--------
John_P

John_P said:
------------------------------------------------------------------------
CumminAtYa:

My sincere thanks to you for posting that link to the Banks Sidewinder Press Release!

You are right, Banks HAS CHANGED that wording! I looked back on a copy of the GBE Press release that I had which was recent and dated 11/13/2007
and that one said; "That (Sidewinders' time) was good enough to make it the Quickest Diesel Pickup at the event!"

That tells me that even though we all may think we are "spinning our tires" when we hammer GBE on all these points, in fact, maybe some of what we are saying and trying to tell them is FINALLY getting through to these guys! It is a step in the right direction, but I for one am not "holding my breath" I can tell you that!:hehe:

Thanks for posting that though!

--------
John_P
John -
I can't say exactly what I want as I'm not sure the guy I spoke to would want me to run off and tell everything he said, but his words were exact in what I quoted about the change being for acknowledgment of other people's achievements and hopefully a way to make some peace of the issue. I'm sure that Peter, Barker, and Colin are just as tired of discussing the whole deal as we are. There's probably still a lot of questions everyone wants answered, and maybe in due time those answers will come. But for now, hopefully we can just forget about the ordeal. I'm sure most people will be much more concerned with improving their trucks (the pro-street guys) to beat the Type-D. I was a doubter, but it's strong initial showing leads me to believe they'll get those 7's they were talking about with ease.

Does anyone know anything about the claims that Banks helped develop the Duramax or that GM will be offering Banks kits? I kinda doubt the second, come to think of it I doubt the first one too. I don't see any OEM truck manufacturer concentrating that much on diesel performance. At the cost of these engines I see reliability, durability, and efficiency as much higher priorities from the OEMs.

idk know about offering a kit from GM ive seen the marine banks engines that they have been offering

Banks had nothing to do with the development of the Duramax, it was and still is a partnership between Isuzu and GM.

Back