Best Oil

Doug speaks highly of Valvoline but that stuff is big $$$$$
I have been using Rotella T Synthetic for a couple years with no problems (so far)

I may try the non-synthetic Valvoline next time

What engine?

If your running it in a 6.0 or 7.3 HEUI, then your going to want an oil that stands up VERY well to shearing. Mobil Delvac does well. So does Shell.

If it is in a cummins, you can just about dump crisco in the sump and still get awsome oil reports.

The Duramax seems to eat just about anything well also.

Bang for the buck: Shell Rotella T 5/40. You can pick it up at any WallyWorld, and it is MUCH cheaper then other 5/40 synthetics.

The first interval was without the B50 bypass filter. All others had the bypass filter.

5/40 Rotella T is the most recent. The other 5,200 interval was 5/40 Mobil 1. Not much difference in wear for the increased cost of Mobil over Rotella. The first is Valvoline Premium Blue 15/40. That change also had an additive, and notice the MASSIVE amounts of moly. I won't run Valvoline additive again, thats for sure!

The best money spent is on a bypass filter. I don't like the expensive offerings out there, so I built my own. Toilet Paper filters sub-micronic, but I have yet to see any arguement that submicronic filtration will give an engine a longer life then filtering down to 8 micron. (that is what the B50 is rated at).

Attachments

• oil.JPG
    oil.JPG
    109.1 KB · Views: 28
250 hours on standard oil and 400 on syn. Do your oil changes on time and see where your avg mile change falls. Lucky is dead on about the shearing in a HEUI fuel injection system. Your oil won't wear out but your additive package will.

More information here--> Bob Is The Oil Guy

I run Amsoil, I know it seems expensive at 1st but in my case running it 10,000 miles & just having to change the filter at 5,000 & an add quart is cheaper than running anything else.

I used to run Amsoil religiously until the CI-4 came out. Went to Penn Grade as they still make CJ-4 oil. After seeing what it did in the pulling tractors, I'll use it

I read somewhere that Amsoil will go 100,000 miles? This was a joke or something wasnt it? Sorry if its a stupid question.

I use Amsoil, but I'm biased. Chevron Delo, is my non synthetic choice.

Unless you are sampling your oil, change the Amsoil at 10,000 miles, but yes, it has been documented well over 100,000,no change, with by- pass filtration.

I think that just about any oil will go 100k with extra filtration and an additive package added here and there.

......Had a 94 Dodge Dually 5.9 and used that dang smelly Delo. At 280k the bottom was trashed. The truck pulled off/on for maybe 100k of those miles. 63 MPH would get ya 19MPG for some reason.

I have run Rotella in my truck since I bought it. This past Saturday, I bought some Premium Blue because they Sponsor Jimmy Smith (AKA ConcreteBlockHead, AKA EtherMan, AKA SmittyBuilt) and figured why not help out a buddy.... anyways, I was talking to Amish when I was buying it and asked him if he had ever run Premium Blue. He told me" I have run it since the truck was new, and it works great.... Havent siezed a piston yet!"

I use the cheap Wal-Mart brand, Super Tech, in my 2nd Gen. Of course I change it every 2 - 2.5 miles (8-10 1/4 passes) :hehe:

The 3rd Gen gets Rotella.

Mobile Delvac 15w40 in my 01 and Castrol 15w40 in my 91(Castrol was on sale buy 1 get 1 free).
I wont use Rotella in anything after the tests I ran on my 2000. I found it breaks down to soon and it foams and the engine is louder,its also a high detergent oil.
Ive never used Delo, it smells funny! But I havent heard anything bad about it.

triton said:
I've used Lubrication Engineers in all my rides over the years. Some of the best stuff out there IMO. Expensive best lasts !

I'll second that. LE is some good stuff. We even run thier fuel treatment.:rockwoot: We just started running thier oil in some stuff. Been using thier other lubricants for years. We still use alot of CaseIH oil. No problems with it.

Last edited:
Hi: New to the forum.
GSM-01
You said CI-4 was the new oil. I think CI-4 is old and CJ-4 is the new. That said, TDR did a study and found that CI-4 was much better than new stuff. Some oils were as good as synthetics. Delo 400 was very good, and can still be bought at most Chevron oil distributers in 5 gal buckets. If you have a new 6.7 dodge you will need to use CJ-4 only!

We run rotella T but from what I have seen, mobile one is the best or aleast the slipperiest in tests.

We run an additive called MotorKote.

I have run Rotella in my truck since I bought it. This past Saturday, I bought some Premium Blue because they Sponsor Jimmy Smith (AKA ConcreteBlockHead, AKA EtherMan, AKA SmittyBuilt) and figured why not help out a buddy.... anyways, I was talking to Amish when I was buying it and asked him if he had ever run Premium Blue. He told me" I have run it since the truck was new, and it works great.... Havent siezed a piston yet!"

the funny thing is, and i didn't know it until they started sponsoring our truck, the premium blue is what oil is in the cummins when it comes from the factory. before that i ran rotella too.

Back