billet input shaft test.

i guess reading is not one of your strong points. i said IT WOULD NOT SHIFT TO 3RD WHEN I WAS DOING MY BURN OUT. yes i ran a TCS shaft all last year with a little twist in it and it made over 200 passes. when i had Jeff Garman build me a tranny back in April i asked what was the best shaft to use and he said opies fat shaft but he did not have any in stock so we went with the next best thing so i thought.

For me this is the important info, he disregarded the best advice possible from his professional transmission builder, that one was not instock is not a viable exscuse. consider the truck the horsepower, the application and the variables, I am sure the professional transmission builder did, but his advice was not followed by the customer, period. what may or may not have happened to other manufacturers shafts afterwards is not relevent

Last edited:
For me this is the important info, he disregarded the best advice possible from his professional transmission builder, that one was not instock is not a viable exscuse. consider the truck the horsepower, the application and the variables, I am sure the professional transmission builder did, but his advice was not followed by the customer, period. what may or may not have happened to other manufacturers shafts afterwards is not relevent

the only thing this would be pertinent to is if he was breaking all three manufacturers shafts.

I fail to see the logic behind this.

the only thing this would be pertinent to is if he was breaking all three manufacturers shafts.

I fail to see the logic behind this.

Had he taken the advice of his transmission builder and used the fat shaft, and twisted that he might have a case, he didn't take that advice,he admits that and did contrary to that advice. If he did use the fat shaft and it held up, he might have opie logos all over his truck now, I don't believe Opie was even in this decision making loop,i may be wrong on that... what happens to other makers shafts after the fact is a red herring, there are too many variables, like the difference between a little shot of nitrous and a huge shot for example, this isn't a scientific test between shaft manufacturers products.Its only the story of a customer who didn't listen to the advice of his proffessional transmission builder and the result. In fairness to Opie had this customer phoned him to confirm the transmission builders advice what do you think he would have said?

Had he taken the advice of his transmission builder and used the fat shaft, and twisted that he might have a case, he didn't take that advice,he admits that and did contrary to that advice. If he did use the fat shaft and it held up, he might have opie logos all over his truck now, I don't believe Opie was even in this decision making loop,i may be wrong on that... what happens to other makers shafts after the fact is a red herring, there are too many variables, like the difference between a little shot of nitrous and a huge shot for example, this isn't a scientific test between shaft manufacturers products.Its only the story of a customer who didn't listen to the advice of his proffessional transmission builder and the result. In fairness to Opie had this customer phoned him to confirm the transmission builders advice what do you think he would have said?

LOL of course he would recommend the Phat shaft as the profit margin Im sure is higher. I see builders all the time suggest billet Int and output shafts upgraded 3rd drums to guys looking to make 500hp street trucks that pull on occasion to. Whats your point?

The real point of the thread is that this isn't the first person denied warranty on a claimed warrantied item and then chastised for speaking up about have an issue with said parts.

My father always told me your only as good as your word. 38 years later I still find this to be a good measure of character.

LOL of course he would recommend the Phat shaft as the profit margin Im sure is higher. I see builders all the time suggest billet Int and output shafts upgraded 3rd drums to guys looking to make 500hp street trucks that pull on occasion to. Whats your point?

The real point of the thread is that this isn't the first person denied warranty on a claimed warrantied item and then chastised for speaking up about have an issue with said parts.

We do agree, had the manufacturer been consulted he would have told the customer to use the fat shaft, just like the professional transmission builder did, the customer had options and made a concious decision not to follow the advice of the transmission builder and not to contact the manufacturer, for that the customer only is soley responsible. This is the real point of the thread. What you think is the real point of the thread, is merely hearsay

We do agree, had the manufacturer been consulted he would have told the customer to use the fat shaft, just like the professional transmission builder did, the customer had options and made a concious decision not to follow the advice of the transmission builder and not to contact the manufacturer, for that the customer only is soley responsible. This is the real point of the thread. What you think is the real point of the thread, is merely hearsay

Couple points:
Does the manufacturer say that the warranty is void if you don't follow the installers recommendation?
Install supplier A's shaft, and it breaks quickly
Install supplier B's shaft in same vehicle and same trans(IIRC) and it doesn't break.

Folks can deny and twist things around pointing out small items trying to distract from the real issue and shift blame.

Anyone can figure out from the above that either supplier A's shaft installed in that trans is an inferior product, or was had a quality problem/defect.

hearsay? You got me confused I have seen it first for my self and not in this case and not on a forum.

I would wager your a buddy or fan of said manufacturer given your refusal to to acknowledge the true nature of this thread and its circumstances.

When you make claims like the following "It is rated to handle an excess of 2200 foot pounds of torque, it is the baddest cat available in the Mopar input shaft world, bar none." you better be prepared to back it up because people are going to challenge it. :Cheer:

imho in this case it is not possible for me to characterize this transmission builder as an installer, my term would be more like expert, same in regards to the manufacturer, he builds the phat shaft for this application, he wasn't consulted in advance, the transmission builders advice was not followed, the racers at this level are dancing on the razors edge.... and my shaft is fatter than opies, goodnight everybody

This thing is still going...

Couple points:
Does the manufacturer say that the warranty is void if you don't follow the installers recommendation?
Install supplier B's shaft in same vehicle and same trans(IIRC) and it doesn't break.

Please show me where the warranty is at I for one would like to read it.

Fat shaft profit magines are the exact same as the oem sized ones. Yes I have been selling them since 06 and just this year another company has starting making their version of it. At a much higher cost of course but as I always say... "Its your money." Bottom line mine cost less and is proven. There are other things being tested right now for release this summer, it will be fun to read the threads reply when they come out. lol "My tranny guys says you don't need that" well that is only until that can be copied and sold by him.

"It is rated to handle an excess of 2200 foot pounds of torque, it is the baddest cat available in the Mopar input shaft world, bar none."

Not that it matters but... reread which shaft that statement was for… (The Dimartino’s) and they also have the highest piston apply pressure but in time they too will be copied. A magazine will be doing a feature showing one in detail this summer.

Charger you are on and right about a few things. There is stuff that will not be discussed on any forums. I do not want/seek customers attempting to bash any of my products. I do have a warrantee for the ones that write threads like this one. The warrantee is NO warrantee, I will guarantee that one forever.

Couple points:

"It is rated to handle an excess of 2200 foot pounds of torque, it is the baddest cat available in the Mopar input shaft world, bar none."

This is what i thought i was getting. but i guess i got bent over again!!!!!!

Rich,

Are you saying you thought you got the Fat shaft installed? Or just Opies best standard sized shaft?

All shafts will break or twist, no matter whose they are or what they are made of if you stress them enough.

Couple points:

Fat shaft profit magines are the exact same as the oem sized ones. Yes I have been selling them since 06 and just this year another company has starting making their version of it. At a much higher cost of course but as I always say... "Its your money." Bottom line mine cost less and is proven. There are other things being tested right now for release this summer, it will be fun to read the threads reply when they come out. lol "My tranny guys says you don't need that" well that is only until that can be copied and sold by him.

Not that it matters but... reread which shaft that statement was for… (The Dimartino’s) and they also have the highest piston apply pressure but in time they too will be copied. A magazine will be doing a feature showing one in detail this summer.

Charger you are on and right about a few things. There is stuff that will not be discussed on any forums. I do not want/seek customers attempting to bash any of my products. I do have a warrantee for the ones that write threads like this one. The warrantee is NO warrantee, I will guarantee that one forever.

From your site. :bang

IE 5513 closed forge one piece input shaft and piston retainer for 1994 and newer Dodge 518, 618, 46RH, 46RE, 47RH, 47RE & 48RE. This shaft uses the factory first gear and thrust washer, but just like the DiMartino Special it is rated to handle in excess of 2200 foot pounds of torque.

his image compares the IE 5513 (on the left) with the OEM part (on the right), as you can see it is a direct replacement.

i bet i spent 20 or 30 minutes on the phone with opie about 5 years ago. i was going to buy a input shaft from him for my 47re. he talked me out of it and told me to just buy a spare transmission and use that for insurance. he told me i probably would not need it in a 2wd street truck. he was right, i sold that truck with 290k on it and still just fine on the stock input shaft. he sure as hell wasn't just looking for money... and he doesn't know me from adam. if i ever get serious about a big hp drag truck it will run his shafts!!! there's my 2 cents

Couple points:

Here is a question for you opie, if we did not have a lock up trans. the shaft could be made smaller right? what would a 1" solid shaft take for TQ? in your opinion.

Here is a question for you opie, if we did not have a lock up trans. the shaft could be made smaller right? what would a 1" solid shaft take for TQ? in your opinion.

Most of the strength is gotten from increased diameter. Very little of the strength comes from the center. Actually the hole in the center has some advantage also.

Most of the strength is gotten from increased diameter. Very little of the strength comes from the center. Actually the hole in the center has some advantage also.

Depends on who you talk to.

The 1/4 to 3/8 hole make up between 200 and 300ftlbs of difference in strength, im told. While it's not a lot it's still is something... worth noting IMO

look at the gasser 1" shafts...the ones that had a 1/4" hole in them could only handle about 13-1400 ft lbs but the new ringless and solid shafts are rated for 1800-2000ftlbs. Makes you wonder..

Last edited:
if all other variables remain constant, a solid shaft will always have a higher torsional strength than a hollow one.

if all other variables remain constant, a solid shaft will always have a higher torsional strength than a hollow one.

Which one will flex more without breaking? What is the equation used for figuring it?

Back