billet vs non billet cam

Know this threads been dead for awhile but honestly why can all the manufactures of these products look past the issue's they have with one another and look at us the consumers and the sport. I have talk to acouple of the dealers and have a good idea who I am going with. But lets look at this from Joe Public view. I want to invest between $400-$1200 for a cam, the time it take to install (give or take a day) or the $$ to pay someone to put one in. Now why not help us make the most informed choice. I don't have the time or money to throw down the drain. I don't think anyone here does. I can open my Summit Race catalog and look at Crain cam's or who evers and read the lift and duration. Sorry if this make people butt-hurt but it's got be said.

Brian

I believe all of the info is out there. I think what you are seeing is that for every truthful post you get 10 opinions and the facts get lost in the noise. I feel I have tried to inform the consumers with posts full of data, charts , and dyno graphs. But like I said for every piece of data there is opinions and "opposing" data. Data like news is easy to make up so you have to trust the source. If not data is worthless

We list most of our specs online on our dealers sites. We are working on a website that that will have all of our available cams listed and the ideal use for each one.
If there is anything you feel you are not seeing or you would like information, I would be glad to answer any direct or specific questions you might have.

Zach Hamilton

Well I think am one of the guys that was hoping that there would be a cam dyno showdown at Diesel Nuts. I talk to Jason the other day to see if it was ever happening and I know he can't spare the time do a test than turn down money for work. But in my mind that would have been a great event to see where each companies cam sat. I personally was going to get a cam in Nov-Dec before I deploy. Maybe after I redeploy this will be resolved and I will have my choice. Thanks for your response. :Cheer:
Brian

Gawd Im tired of the mis-info. Comp D is becoming the mis-info headquarters in some respects. I dont know about the "others" Billet Steel camshafts, but I do know about ours.

Ours are not going to wear out. Thats just silly talk from people who have never held or even seen one of ours. One of our Billets require the block be dis-assembled to have cam bearings installed and one does not. Neither will wear out any faster than a casting as long as simple maintenance like oil changes with high quality oil and filters are used and valve lash adjustments are made.

High pressure valve springs, increased RPM and over extended oil drains with crap oil is your biggest issues. Not a billet steel camshaft with rockwell hardness levels in line to last hundreds of thousands of miles.

I was reading the post about cams and what not and started to get discouraged about selecting one!!! You say yours will not wear out correct.. I'm building a 1200ho cr engine right now milled head ported big.. what cam could you recommend...? and I plan to keep this as my daily driver and drag it regulary..thanks Michael.

Opinions and accusations should start flying soon. To save the cheerleaders some breath, you might ask some of the people on compd running different cams in their signatures specific questions. You will be able to make a much more informed decision. Look for data, not opinions, where possible.

Zach

Back