Black Beauty Build Thread

I kind of like the full control thing too. My last auto was a manual VB with a ratchet shifter. Now that was pretty fun rig to drive right there.

Well the auto was dieing on me quickly. I had pretty much lost 2nd gear, fluid was getting burnt, and I was starting to suspect I was loosing direct clutch pack also. I think what did it in was pulling a load of cattle about 8-10k. It was the stock transmission 190k miles on it. It also had 2-3-2 shuttle shift.

I knew I needed to do something and I just didn't have the time or space to rebuild it myself. I decided to go with a PDD 425HP transmission. PDD hooked my up with a free upgraded DnJ component solenoid since they had a good one come into the shop. Also built the valve body to my specs and took 5% off the price of the transmission. Was very prompt on communication as well.

I received the transmission and found a case of PDD full synthetic engine oil inside also!! I have previously been running dyno oil and adding a can of ZDDP booster but I look forward to using this PDD oil. I usually run 5k miles. I plan on grabbing a sample on this next oil change in 1000 miles and testing it and then running the PDD oil 5k miles and testing it also. I'm confident I can run it more I think.

New hotness!
a2d7667461765c257f2a1b7ce3907ccf.jpg

Old busted ass.
d386596094522ebccb3e278f66f7a2a9.jpg

Burnt oil with only 20k on it.
a5d2ecb082e566f92c97fe52ed8819f1.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Nice man you'll get to enjoy the tuning more now that it'll hold it. What are you plans for power output down the road?

Yes it's much more enjoyable to drive!

For now I'm just going to keep playing with efi live and see what I can get out of it. I still need some other supporting mods like head studs for instance before I get any actual go fast parts.

Well the tach hasn't worked right since I had it so I pulled the cluster and re-soldered the chips on the back. Seems to have fixed it so far.

Nice job on the tach fix should of did a how to.

also no need for headstuds yet just tune in the safe zone and try not to go too crazy.

Nice job on the tach fix should of did a how to.

also no need for headstuds yet just tune in the safe zone and try not to go too crazy.

I thought about it but there is already a pretty good one done here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ufQ1t4eOwkM

Yeah I'm not sure what the "safe zone" is really haha. Still trying to figure out how to clean up some smoke when half throttle on this single event tune. Even with stock duration it hazes more than I think it should.

Last edited:
I thought about it but there is already a pretty good one done here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ufQ1t4eOwkM

Yeah I'm not sure what the "safe zone" is really haha. Still trying to figure out how to clean up some smoke when half throttle on this single event tune. Even with stock duration it hazes more than I think it should.

Sweet video might have to tell my brother about this since his tach is all messed up. " Safe zone is don't go over 25 main timing." On your single event tune I have no idea what is safe and what isnt.

Nice looking truck. I have a 2006 mega cab with EFI Live and love it.

Your motor is an ISB, other then that oil looks good.

So I could never figure out where the back window leaked so I fixed it this way.
16318ec70956beef4f3a392f6df2d06c.jpg

Set me back $340. Not fun money to spend but now my cab will stay dry.

nice truck! my 03 has the dual cat filter kit on a stock lift pump has been that way for 3 years now not one issue. it sure is handy to spin em on and off rather then ruin my knees on that damn rad support.

Well out of the blue my truck acted up yesterday. Had to crank longer than usual to start it and then it had a slight rough idle and really missed bad with just a little throttle on it. So I cut it off, tried again and same thing. Drove it back home about 50 miles and runs fine and doesn't miss once you get going. Got home, cut it off and takes more cranks before it will fire off.

I'm thinking injectors. So far I've checked and fuel pump is running, all 3 fuel filters only have 7,000 miles on them. Not making any oil, no codes, CP3 is acting normal.

Here's what I'm gonna try and open to suggestions:
Run a heavy dose of injector cleaner
Pull valve cover and run to see if a injector body is cracked
Drain WIF on both filters and inspect catridge filter
Last option pull injectors and send for testing.

So I dumped in a bunch of diesel Klean and started it up. Well watch the video and that shows he start up. Then after brake boosting I seemed do do better, I still think I can hear a slight off knock sound. Took it out for a couple WOTs and the CP3 is now not keeping pressure up. Will only hold 17k at WOT, other than that it seems fine. Power is still good. Any thoughts?

2006 Cummins Possible bad injector? - YouTube

Oh, also getting a check engine light but no codes. It flashes 10 times and then stays solid. Came on during a WOT.

Last edited:
Back