Black Beauty Build Thread

Just my 2 cents but on my 06 my mirrors acted up, I took them apart degunked the motor and it works great still 9 months later...

Lol thanks for the tip. Mirrors aren't the priority right now though. Would like to get it running correctly

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

No sir it was not. I was just linking the video showing how to fix the tach that I watched.

So your avatar is you. Damn close twin to the man. lol

Sounds like a dead miss from what I could tell. You won't feel it out there on the road so much.

Sample taken before or after problem? My guess would be injector.

Yeah I do my best. Yes it was definitely missing. Oil was checked after the problem.

Mine had similar symptoms and a new FCA fixed it. Hope yours is that easy as well!

Well the new FCA didn't fix it so I'm ordering a set of 143° BMS 100HP injectors for it.

Do not run it. That is a pretty messed up injector or something worse. easy to melt a piston running it for 5 minutes like that let alone 50 miles.

For a couple hundred more bones you can get exergy 100's with the matching cone angle.

Looks like a bad injector also to me. Its ashame injectors donlt last worth anything my brand new i got a little over a year ago are acting up already.

Well thing is I had to run it 50 miles back home when it first started and still wasn't quite sure of the problem; Family with me and all that business. Then I tried idling a bit and did a short 5 mile test run and that's all I've run it. Hopefully not melted pistons or burnt rings etc.

I already placed the order for the injectors and also went ahead and ordered the Geno's Garage injector install kit and a connector tube puller and engine barring tool. Probably excessive, but I figure with over 200k miles and 10 years old it won't hurt to replace a few more things.

I'm going to check injector lash while I'm at it and I guess set intake to 0.010" and exhaust to 0.020" like the 2nd gens do.

Please don't check injector lash :)

Sent from my XT1575 using Tapatalk

Well I'm still busted. Got new injectors in and the "miss" and the "white smoke" that I had with original injectors is gone. Now though it has a little stumble around 1000-1250rpm and it has no power at all and RP is not what it should be. Also still takes a little longer to crank but not nearly as bad as with old injectors. I can stomp the pedal and nothing really happens. Checked all different CSP5 tunes. Re-checked all wiring connections and no visible fuel leaks. Almost as if it's in a "valet mode" or something. So what's next?? New injectors and New FCA. Would really like to figure this out. Didn't have these symptoms before with the old injectors but I can't see anything I did wrong with the swap. I also have the check engine light blink 10 times and then stay on and I get codes : U1403, U1421, P0148.

Well I feel like a major idiot. Found the big problem after looking one more time.
0baf8005098128d932c9449cca5051fb.jpg

I guess I forgot to tighten the clamp. So after hooking that up rail seems to act right, power is back and lots more. Still takes longer than normal to crank and seems to have a little rail hang. Still have the codes also. Any thoughts on what I should be looking at now?

I noticed these injectors make a lot more difference than I was expecting. Makes way more boost and sucks rail pressure down. Can a stock pump not even keep up with BMS 100BP injectors?

I have a lift pump pressure gauge I still need to install so that will help verify supply pressure is good.

Whose tuning? Yours?

Yes my tuning. Which could definitely be part of the issue. I know i can mess with injection timing while cranking. May give that a shot. Not sure yet how if I can tune out the rail hang.

Well I feel like a major idiot. Found the big problem after looking one more time.
0baf8005098128d932c9449cca5051fb.jpg

I guess I forgot to tighten the clamp. So after hooking that up rail seems to act right, power is back and lots more. Still takes longer than normal to crank and seems to have a little rail hang. Still have the codes also. Any thoughts on what I should be looking at now?

I noticed these injectors make a lot more difference than I was expecting. Makes way more boost and sucks rail pressure down. Can a stock pump not even keep up with BMS 100BP injectors?

I have a lift pump pressure gauge I still need to install so that will help verify supply pressure is good.

I'm lazy so I'm not going back. Truck is an 06 with 143* nozzles? Have you checked PRV?

I'm lazy so I'm not going back. Truck is an 06 with 143* nozzles? Have you checked PRV?

Yes it is. I'm running a single event tune if that makes a difference. More like a VP truck runs like; until I can figure out how to tune it with the pilot intact.

I disconnected the return line from the top of the PRV and started the truck to see if fuel would come out of the PRV at idle. I did. It see any come out at idle. Not sure how good of a test that is though. They are pretty pricey things.

Back