Blown head gasket blues

Whitenightmare

Well, gotta pay to play. Blew the head gasket on my 12 valve. Coolant POORING out on passenger side. Felpro gasket, stud nuts torqued to 125 ft pounds. Should I torque it more? That’s the spec that the kit from opti torque said. Should I o-ring it? A local machine shop says they can cut the rings in the head. Or should they be in the block? I didn’t get the head cut last time it was off for studs. Checked out nice with a good straight edge though. I’ll update my profile with specs , never dynoed but it rips pretty hard.
12 valve, p pump, 191dv, 5x14 , 18 degrees, 3/4K, 60lb springs, S362.
Nv4500 / 4x4/ Fummins (89 f250)
Thanks in advance, this is the only forum I bother dealing with.

Oh, this thing buries a 35 psi boost guage. I’m guessing 50 . It gets rowdy. . Also, I don’t tow or daily this truck . It’s just for fun.

Get the head surfaced, then O-ringed.

Try to get 135 or more on the studs, get them up to around 120lbs, then 5lb increments after that with long breaks.

You will have no more worries of head gasket issues after.

362/?/?

I'd bottom tap if you haven't already before going crazy on the torque.

Last edited:
Yes, borg Warner s362 from power driven. Is that weird? It spools pretty quick, seems ok? I did bottom tap when I put the studs in.

He’s asking for the turbine specs. 362/68/14cm etc.

If the head comes off once then it’s getting o ringed if it’s mine. Cheap and more reliable. Less of a chance of head coming off a second time for the same issue.

Heads getting dropped off to machine shop tomorrow. And I’ll call haisley for a gasket kit

Attachments

• E98FBDEF-D919-43C4-B30A-6682503046AF.jpg
    E98FBDEF-D919-43C4-B30A-6682503046AF.jpg
    627.8 KB · Views: 0
I'm no Weston, but have always preferred a larger hot wheel. I'd go to a 71 or 74 turbine if you wouldn't mind a slower spool.

Appreciate the info guys, when funds allow I’ll definitely try out some different turbo geometry but for now I’m gonna bump the timing up and see how it goes.

A 62/68/14 making over 40psi of boost on a mild 12v,
I bet he's running a real 16ish timing.

Put a bigger turbine or housing on this stick shift truck, it will be a turd.

Might want to look into a boost gauge that you don't have to guess what psi you're actually hitting.

Why was this gasket installed in the first place?
I'm skeptical it's tuneup related.

Sent from my motorola one 5G using Tapatalk

Back