Boooom!!!!

Pat@BD

Comp Diesel Sponsor
Has anyone ever heard or seen a composite intake blow up? Today on our dyno a 12V at 60psi of boost blew one completely apart. It sounded like a bomb went off. Luckily nobody was standing in front of the truck. The hood was open because we were running it on the dyno. Two peices ended up lodged into the ceiling of our shop 20ft up. Must have been a casting flaw as it wasn't anywhere near the ports for the watermeth. Poor tech must have had to change his undies. Just a word of caution to anyone standing around a dyno. This easily could have been very serious.

Attachments

• CFM_800x600.jpg
    CFM_800x600.jpg
    51 KB · Views: 283
Last edited:
I assume that's a CFM since I don't recall any other plastic intakes on the market.

I talked with the guy that design those intakes back when they first came out. One of the questions I had was " why isn't there any ports on it ". He said because he knew people would try and create power beyond what his intake was designed for. It's was basically a replacement for the stock intake on a stock truck.

I don't know what changed but, It's scary to see this and know that CFM now makes their composite intakes with ports in them !

I blew one during testing.

Then had two customers that have gone against my advice that have had them blow.

Not pretty.

Lost a turbo when one went. Oversped and took out a shaft.

~Wes~

We sell them but i was never fully hooked on the idea of composite plastic in a hot high pressure system.

Guess I'll mark this off my "buy next" list.

Buy next: clutch, silver bullet, milk , bread

Dont buy: banks, crack, CFM+

In order.

roachie said:
Guess I'll mark this off my "buy next" list.

Buy next: clutch, silver bullet, milk , bread

Dont buy: banks, crack, CFM+

In order.

:hehe: :hehe: Atleast someone has their priorities straight.

Back