Boooom!!!!

my favorite is when ppl stand right beside the dyno and a truck is on it either beside the exh so turbo parts can fly at their head o by the tires so wheel weights can fly at them (saw that happen once) or stand and look at the drive shaft a ujoint cap would be like getting a 12ga slug to the face

no boom

That's why we use polish s/s.

Attachments

• 06-06-07_1346.jpg
    06-06-07_1346.jpg
    2.7 KB · Views: 76
  • 06-06-07_1343.jpg
    06-06-07_1343.jpg
    2.6 KB · Views: 71
  • 07-11-06_2251.jpg
    07-11-06_2251.jpg
    39.5 KB · Views: 74
Just a word of caution to anyone standing around a dyno. This easily could have been very serious

Thats one of the reasons at our clubs dyno shows the hood is run with it closed and latched.......

Well....
There is more to the story I guess....
See there was this time Jetpilot was tuning his nitrous and when dynoing he left the hood up.Dave,our resident wheel-man,was standing by the computer monitor next to the left front wheel.Doug rolls her up,hits the read button on the jet and slaps the loud pedal down and sends the motor into the Twilight Zone of rpms and then........BOOOOOMMMMMMMM!!!!!!.....

Truck makes 902 and promptly oils down the BOTH walls and across the top of the ceiling and turns poor Dave into Jed Clampett with the oil spray.Those oil marks remain yet today and Dave will not run a truck with the hood unlatched..........Andy

Kantdrive55 said:
Has anyone ever heard or seen a composite intake blow up? Today on our dyno a 12V at 60psi of boost blew one completely apart. It sounded like a bomb went off. Luckily nobody was standing in front of the truck. The hood was open because we were running it on the dyno. Two peices ended up lodged into the ceiling of our shop 20ft up. Must have been a casting flaw as it wasn't anywhere near the ports for the watermeth. Poor tech must have had to change his undies. Just a word of caution to anyone standing around a dyno. This easily could have been very serious.

how much nitrous?

Hammer said:
Thats one of the reasons at our clubs dyno shows the hood is run with it closed and latched.......

Well....
There is more to the story I guess....
See there was this time Jetpilot was tuning his nitrous and when dynoing he left the hood up.Dave,our resident wheel-man,was standing by the computer monitor next to the left front wheel.Doug rolls her up,hits the read button on the jet and slaps the loud pedal down and sends the motor into the Twilight Zone of rpms and then........BOOOOOMMMMMMMM!!!!!!.....

Truck makes 902 and promptly oils down the BOTH walls and across the top of the ceiling and turns poor Dave into Jed Clampett with the oil spray.Those oil marks remain yet today and Dave will not run a truck with the hood unlatched..........Andy
:evil :evil :evil I'd like to see a video of that LOL LOL

Signal 73 said:
not to further derail the thread but rocks in trucks tires spinning the rollers can leave a mark :badidea:
That why every dyno I've been on, first thing they do after strapping you down is have your turn the tires real slow and check for rocks....:rules:

Saw a valve stem extension break off before also on a dually truck that had the outside tires removed. I was in the bay when it hit one of the dyno guys that was standing behind the truck.

Wow. Better put some more material in those composite ones! I was going to buy a metal one for my birthday (tomorrow) until my PCM took a sh*t and my money is gone.

Plastic or CF (depending on binding resins) don't belong in something that can get heated to upwards if not over 200F (underhood temps) and still hold over 60 PSI. More material wont help if the binder is exceeding a thermal limit.

Obviously the binging agent failed. Some epoxies have outstanding thermal limits...well beyond what we would ever need. I bet all it would take to keep this from happening in the future is to change the binding agent to something that can handle the higher air temp from a BOMBed truck.

I'd like to see a video of that

Duallie...
There was no video of that and when I arrived that day Dave was mumbling to himself about crazy azzed diesel owners,LOL.

See..
What you do not understand is Doug HAS a reputation or better yet a prior history of stuff like this.One time at the old shop he was doing some tuning and had the truck strapped down and the 16ft long section of flex tubing ran out the door.He spins the truck up,flips the dyno switch,mashes the loud pedal and again......BOOOOOOMMMMMMMM!!!!!!!!!!....Nitrous backfire and explosion taking out the headgasket again and the 16ft section of flex tube was blew apart into 16 1ft long sections and scatter all over the place.Ernie,the owner at the time,shakes his head,laughed and told Doug "That one is on me,the next one you buy" and then hauled Dougs truck behind his Powerstroke to get his fixed..........Andy

BTW..The best part of Jason's run was all the people diving for cover outside,LOL.I know I was standing there and you could not even see the friggin computer screen at all and it was right next to me.Let us not forget dave putting the window up and laughing his azz off at us all in the smoke filled room.

Last edited:
heard a story..... a guy here on the dyno running W/M and the W/M stuck on with no way to stop it.....motor sat at 5000+rpm and exploded the VP.....it was a built motor so i think thats the only reason the rest of it stayed together

First I would like to say thank you to the thousands of diesel truck owners who are using our products. It has been extremely rewarding to see how those who have purchased our intakes have understood that the CFM+ is the most advanced technology for the application and achieves the highest and coolest flow. The Diesel market is in for many more exciting advancements in the next few years and our patented leading edge technology will be a bigger and bigger player. We strive for the highest quality and all our CFM+ Intakes are MADE IN THE USA.

Finally I would like to let you all know we still do not have a single (0) warranty claim.

Thank you and May God Bless America,

CFM+
www.cfmplus.com

Using the Stefan-Boltzmann law (spell it correctly) for radiant heat transfer is not the only means of heating up the airflow. Although you can argue that every little bit helps, the calcs prove that plastic vs. metal for a part such as this (or doing such things as removing the heating lines from a gasser valve body) affect the outlet temperatures only very minutely at max flow rates.

I imagine it would run slightly cooler because the composite material won't heat soak (therefore not heating the air passing through it like metal will).

Back