Brake upgrade power stop z36 kit or hawk?

Levi_plummer

Hey guys looking for input on upgrading the brakes on my 95. The rotors are warped and it doesn't stop the best. I have a around a 1,700rpm stall and that is hard on the brakes too. I plan to pull my race truck around and that will be the max load say 10,000 with a four wheeler on a trailer. I have been shopping and seen the power stop z36 kit for $212 on rock auto.. then seen the rotors alone are $120 (pair) and $28 for the z36 pads (which together $150 seems much less for the exact same pads and rotors in the z36 kit that is $212). So I am thinking of buying that setup or the power stop drilled and slotted rotors with the hawk ltd pads I have read good reviews about on hear. Can anyone give me there input on a good brake upgrade around $200?

Ive had a nightmare with the brakes on my 95. they just suck. I can see why this truck is called 'dodge ram'. Cause either you dodge or you ram the guy stopped in front of you, youre not stoppin! Ive rammed 2 so far I am not happy.
Id look into upgrading to the hydroboost brakes its an easy upgrade. Then slotted rotors and hawk pads. Not much else you can do unless you upgrade the knuckles to fit a different caliper and a larger rotor. this truck -needs- larger rotors and calipers.
Maybe swap out to an axle off a newer truck?
You could swap to OBS ford D60 knuckles and outers, that gets you a 2 piston caliper and a slightly larger rotor, I think

oh yeah, you may be braking hard then holding the pads on the rotor at a stop, which transfters heat from the rotor and can warp it.
Also look for cheap calipers with rusty pistons that dont retract back into the caliper correctly.

Last edited:
Ive had a nightmare with the brakes on my 95. they just suck. I can see why this truck is called 'dodge ram'. Cause either you dodge or you ram the guy stopped in front of you, youre not stoppin! Ive rammed 2 so far I am not happy.

So it's the pickup's fault you are a running into other cars? LOL

I am very impressed with EBC. I bought their slotted and dimpled rotors and green stuff pads for my 2003 for around $640ish and couldn't be happier. In fact, I was so unimpressed with the comparitive braking on my 2012 I changed out the pads within the first 1000mi to EBC yellow stuff; they are also awesome.

Can you turn the rotors? If so just turn them and throw on some good pads so they have a uniform surface to bed in to.

Hydroboost could be a nice upgrade for you too. I can lock up all four 37's on my truck. Really brake fade is my only issue with the stock setup.

Duh, do you forget the world we live in now?

Do you think I've driven over 700,000 miles with a trailer hitched up, with this pickup alone to not know what today's drivers are like? My pickup has never rammed another car. Vehicles don't cause wrecks, poor driving does.

I'm going to offer up this: replace the rotors, and replace ALL of the soft lines, front and rear. Between that and upgrading rear cylinders and doing a proper adjustment, the pedal should be back right at the top and moderate stopping power.

Also, if your hubs are worn, the front rotors will run in an orbit instead of on axis, and will reduce braking control.

Sent from my XT1575 using Tapatalk

x2 for changin out brake lines...

i got the DT profab extended steel braided lines on my truck and it made a HUGE difference

x2 for changin out brake lines...

i got the DT profab extended steel braided lines on my truck and it made a HUGE difference

Man, I've been wanting to pull the trigger on some ss front lines for a while. Are they that much better?

I think it is 90% of the improvement on mine. The rest is having the proper thickness rotors.

I did mine during the locking hub conversion, but the truck has 304,000 and it stops better now than it did when I bought it with 138k

Sent from my XT1575 using Tapatalk

Man, I've been wanting to pull the trigger on some ss front lines for a while. Are they that much better?

I have Russells lines but yes. Actually have sets on both of my trucks. Wish we had an easy option for dual piston calipers on the captured rotor axles.

I think it is 90% of the improvement on mine. The rest is having the proper thickness rotors.

I did mine during the locking hub conversion, but the truck has 304,000 and it stops better now than it did when I bought it with 138k

I have Russells lines but yes. Actually have sets on both of my trucks. Wish we had an easy option for dual piston calipers on the captured rotor axles.

Looks like I'm ordering up a set! Also, looks like both my front brake hard lines are going to need replacing when I do it. Any recommendations on a hard line that'll last more than five years... I've replaced them three times now.

Wash it more often LOL

Sorry no real suggestion. Stainless?

ha ha. I saw a picture of my truck ten years ago the other day and it was so nice. Now it's rusted to all Hell... It bums me out. I want to buy a truck from the south, but it'd just be condemning it to rust in 10-15 years!

I should just save and get a new F250 that's aluminum!

What is the cheaper upgrade for the stainless lines up front? My 44 foot trailer is really taxing my Dually. Also does anyone have suggestions for the 80 drum shoes?

Back